Author Topic: SSL wiring  (Read 4971 times)

jimlfixit

• Global Moderator
    • Maidenhead, Bucks, UK
SSL wiring
« on: July 11, 2012, 09:29:07 PM »
Hi SSL fanatics, First of all, well done Mattia for letting me know about this site which, I believe he created! Secondly, despite my user name , I don't fix things but I have a lot of expertise regarding SSL wiring especially the earlier years as I worked there from 1980 to 87. In 1980, we made one console every 6 weeks and by Dec 1983 the total went up to 13 per month. Imagine, if you can, the drastic changes that took place in those few years (I have started some SSL history on my website ... see below). There are not many people out there who know about these changes in SSL wiring, paintwork, patchbays and connectors (especially DL pinouts) as most of them have left SSL to do other things. Various companies and individuals, especially here in the UK or the US, muck about with SSL consoles, whether to modify, extend or just sell them. The enquiries I have had over the last few years seem to be from people who have purchased a cheap console from a dealer (which used to cost over GB£100,000 and is now £30K) without any manuals or, individuals looking for a few channels to act as a front end to go into ProTools. I encourage both as the SSL name should live on despite the lack of support by SSL for older consoles. New owners should somehow have the means to keep their consoles maintained and those who just have a few channels for a front end system should also have the knowledge to develop their smaller but lucrative studio project. If neither of these enterprises can have some form of future support, the SSL brand will be forgotton to some extent as people opt for a modern day (digital) alternative instead. Okay, I've had a mind dump. If you need any SSL bits or advise (don't pick my brains too much), check out my website (www.profcon.co.uk). I have supplied some parts in the past to at least two people registered on this new website. I'll do some more posts soon with further ideas to help.

Matt Sartori

• Administrator
    • London
    • Solid State Logic Fanatics Database
Re: SSL wiring
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2012, 10:42:52 PM »
Thank You Jim,
We are glad you are here, I moved the post in the tech directory to build up a consistent directory for people offering services.

Mattia.

sintech

• Global Moderator
    • Bristol, UK
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2012, 12:50:48 AM »
Jim is a super nice guy, and the top person for SSL related wiring maybe in the world!.. his client list proves that :-)

I've bought loads from this guy, and do check his website out, he has loads of small hard to find spares.

StefanNowak

• Sydney, Australia.
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2012, 07:16:13 AM »
Great to have you here Jim.

Stefan.

Matt Sartori

• Administrator
    • London
    • Solid State Logic Fanatics Database
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2012, 11:07:11 PM »
Ehi Norman,
thank you for popping in,
I am gonna move your reply and make a new thread so each tech will have his own "space"

Mattia.