Author Topic: Cabling Conduits  (Read 4466 times)

Kajtek

• Poland
    • www.velur.pl
Cabling Conduits
« on: November 08, 2016, 09:25:10 PM »
Hello My Dear SSL Friends !

Right now I’m in a middle of a new studio build. It’s the first time we are doing it from scratch and we would love to do it as great as possible.That’s why we will be buying our first SSL 4k G+ console ;-)

We are right now finishing our floating floor, and preparing our cable coundits. That’s why I’m posting this question for You :

1. Could You post pictures how many cables are coming from Your’s SSL’s ? (from computer, psu ?)

2. How witdh are the cables ? With and without connectors ? What kind of connectors do You have ? DL’s ? DB25 ?

Thank You
Martin !

Matt Sartori

• Administrator
    • London
    • Solid State Logic Fanatics Database
Re: Cabling Conduits
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2016, 01:11:31 PM »
Hello Martin,

this is a very intricate question to answer because each installation is different, but in general terms allow at least twice the size you think you need and most importantly DO NOT have sharp (or tight) bends on the conduits.

Ideally if you could you would have a skirting board coming around the studio so everything can be opened up and inspected as and when needed.

In the case of a 48 channels SSL you are normally looking at the following cables coming from the Machine room:

2xConsole PSU cables
8x Computer ribbon cables (includes Keyboard and patchable VCAs)
1x Time code cable
1x S95E cable
3x BNC cables for video

so I would say you need AT LEAST 2 conduits each 30x20cm.

this is just for the machine room.
the rest needs to really be addressed depending on the console frame and size.
Let us know what you are getting, I am sure there are loads of peopel here who can help you.

Matt Sartori.

jimlfixit

• Global Moderator
    • Maidenhead, Bucks, UK
Cabling conduit ideas
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2016, 03:29:41 AM »
Yeah, tricky question and answer. Ideally, before the architects get in there (without any regard for the wiring as they are just interested in the acoustic properties of the studio), make sure that there are possible floor spaces which can be opened up (long after they have gone) as you will certainly need more cables or looms put in as a studio is never finished!

If you can't have wooden duct spaces available (ideally something like 300 wide x100mm high..keeping the computer cables separate from the power ones), make sure that there are enough plastic pipes 6" available with a large curvature radius (at least 200mm) to allow cables to be pulled through afterwards and leave a draw wire in there, at least twice the length of the duct length and tie it up at both ends and make it clear that there is a draw wire there (maybe some 6mm blue plastic cord). I remember two studios where the 50 way ribbons were pulled round a tight corner and the carpenter put a big nail through them from above or they were damaged on the bend.

Removable wooden rectangular floor spaces are ideal (avoid round plastic pipes if possible) as you can add more cable looms later and can get to them, especially if you need to divert the looms elsewhere or if/when you sell the studio and need to get the cables out (happened many times before). Many ex studios have had their looms left there as they were buried under the floor, never to be recovered.

The SSL machine room to console cables are like Mattia mentioned but make sure that you get the cables the right way round. I remember (yet again) some studios having their new cables in advance (as SSL did then) and putting them in, underground in concrete, the wrong way round. So, the power supply cables needed to be completely redone at either end!

Therefore, make sure you know which end the cables have to face, computer and console. The console installation panel as a default has all male connections on it (pins sticking out of 8 and 19 way Bicc connectors (Small TV and main Console power), 25 way D connectors and all the ribbon connectors (20, 25, 34, 40 and 50 way...S14E computer).

The 96 way DL connectors are different as the console always has the 96 way female socket connector mounted in the connector panel.

Just have a big enough duct (ideally a wooden one with access) and lay...not pull...the cables into it and keep them apart in there. Power, computer/data/video and audio. This is important. (I also remember a DAT cable causing a hum in Steve Winwood's studio back around 1988 as it was a digital cable and interfered with the audio stuff. On that note, don't put any digital, or guitar feeds on the patchbay (another subject which I will deal with later) as it mucks up the normal analog stuff on there!

Hope this helps. Damn it, just realised the time...3:28am ...why am I still awake doing this? Need to wake in 4 hours time!

Regards from Jim Lassen, Marlow, Bucks, UK (www.profcon.co.uk). Also on FACEBOOK

Loads of DL 96 way connectors available should you need them and if you require help wiring your studio, get in contact.

Kajtek

• Poland
    • www.velur.pl
Re: Cabling Conduits
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2016, 08:34:00 PM »
Quick - THANK YOU ! Very helpful and useful info ! I will be posting building photos and I will include how we managed to deal with the cabling conduits !
Have a merry christmas !
Martin!