Author Topic: Joining two SSL console power cables together  (Read 4625 times)

jimlfixit

• Global Moderator
    • Maidenhead, Bucks, UK
Joining two SSL console power cables together
« on: November 23, 2016, 09:13:51 PM »
Joining two SSL 661 console power cables together (10 & 5m!).

Firstly, you will need an extra length of (in my case, black) cable sheathing to cover the joining area plus two pieces of heatshrink to cover the extra sheathing joint although this would make the finished loom more rigid which may not be suitable if the loom had to be run under the floor in ducts and around corners!

1  Position the 2 looms to face each other and put weights under each end of the looms (not shown). Keep them straight and allowing plenty of extra overlap, cut one wire from either end and mark stripping points. Start with the largest wires first as they are more rigid. Put on heatshrink at one end. Twist and tin and move heatshrink into rough position.

2  Keep the looms under tension so they are straight, facing each other and repeat the process, this time moving the join position further along the loom.

3  Keep repeating the process with each wire join in a different place. Remember to keep the entire loom straight and under tension to avoid any bulges if all the joins are in the same area.

4  Finish the joining process, test the loom, heatshrink the joints (I used a clear version so one can see the join) and move the extra main sheathing into position and finish off. Unfortunately, I forgot to get a picture of the finished version!

Hope this helps from Jim Lassen (www.profcon.co.uk). Also on FACEBOOK

If you dudes need any wiring work done, I am available and, to those of you in most of Europe or the USA, my prices should be cheaper with the GB£ going down around 10% against those currencies since Brexit.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 11:02:32 AM by jimlfixit »

marcmozart

• Frankfurt/Germany
    • Mozart & Friends
Re: Joining two SSL console power cables together
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2016, 09:32:12 PM »
Thanks Jim, excellent as always!
1992 SSL 4048 G-Series
Mix Engineer Blog
http://www.mixedbymarcmozart.com

Matt Sartori

• Administrator
    • London
    • Solid State Logic Fanatics Database
Re: Joining two SSL console power cables together
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2016, 11:20:46 AM »
Brilliant Article, will share it on Facebook!

Matt Sartori.

jimlfixit

• Global Moderator
    • Maidenhead, Bucks, UK
More details on the joined power cable
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2016, 02:51:45 AM »
Hi Chaps and thanks for the comments and shares. I forgot to add that the SSL 661 power cable uses a 19 way Bicc connector and has 11 x 50/0.25mm wires and 4 x 16/0.2mm wires. I started off with the bigger 50/0.25 wires to give the finished loom more substance, shape and rigidity to start with and then finished off with the 16/0.2 wires. After every wire was joined I put the two main loom ends under tension and weights to avoid bulges in the middle and the finished article, with the added sheathing in the middle to cover the join area, almost looked like a complete longer cable. As I mentioned, I forgot to take a finished picture, sorry.
The idea with the joins at different places is to avoid a bulge in the joining area, thus keeping the power cable almost the same diameter as the original two looms. This avoids snagging if placed in ducting as Stefan Nowak (on here) has hopefully found out as I think it was made for him.

I can do more of these if you need them plus other 'don't want to do it yourself wiring tasks'. Get in contact as my tools are getting rusty...but that's another story!

Regards from Jim Lassen (www.profcon.co.uk). Also on FACEBOOK

« Last Edit: November 29, 2016, 04:04:10 AM by jimlfixit »

Matt Sartori

• Administrator
    • London
    • Solid State Logic Fanatics Database
Re: More details on the joined power cable
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2016, 11:25:49 AM »
Hi Chaps and thanks for the comments and shares. I forgot to add that the SSL 661 power cable uses a 19 way Bicc connector and has 11 x 50/0.25mm wires and 4 x 16/0.2mm wires. I started off with the bigger 50/0.25 wires to give the finished loom more substance, shape and rigidity to start with and then finished off with the 16/0.2 wires. After every wire was joined I put the two main loom ends under tension and weights to avoid bulges in the middle and the finished article, with the added sheathing in the middle to cover the join area, almost looked like a complete longer cable. As I mentioned, I forgot to take a finished picture, sorry.
The idea with the joins at different places is to avoid a bulge in the joining area, thus keeping the power cable almost the same diameter as the original two looms. This avoids snagging if placed in ducting as Stefan Nowak (on here) has hopefully found out as I think it was made for him.

I can do more of these if you need them plus other 'don't want to do it yourself wiring tasks'. Get in contact as my tools are getting rusty...but that's another story!

keep on going, this is awesome!

Matt Sartori.
Regards from Jim Lassen (www.profcon.co.uk). Also on FACEBOOK