Author Topic: Extending 4032e to 4048e  (Read 7968 times)

ULH

• Copenhagen Denmark
    • Frostbox Recording Studio
Extending 4032e to 4048e
« on: December 10, 2016, 10:28:50 AM »
Hi

Fellow forum member Rune Rask is about to extend his early (1982?) 4032e to a 4048e configured with 40 mono and 8 stereo channels, bargraph, G computer, internal patch. I am gonna be the lucky tech helping out.

We will need new steel beams underneath. I have made a simple sketch with dimensions and attached if somebody else need these docs. The console will be aprrox 2860mm wide. We are thinking of getting two new made in the full lenght instead of the split point console design. Does anyone have a good source or any prices on these to compare qoutes to?

The internal patchbay is the 19" type and thereform have the space for 48 channels but the holes for the last 16 are not populated with bantam sockets. This is the Audioline type (thanks to jim lassen webpage) with the 4-40 screw thread. Is the bantam sockets itself compatibel between Audioline and Mosses & Mitchell? This thread is the same as for standard db25 retaining screws and can be sourced from tme.eu - But what is the correct length? 1/4inch like these maybe?: http://www.tme.eu/en/details/keys9900/bolts/keystone/9900/

The used bucket chassis comes with used female 6pin bicc audio connectors sitting on the back of the upper bus card for the channel. We need new pins for these which are 29 biccs per bucket excluding the 4 biccs for the remote transport arm/status connector which we will not use and therefor not wire.

Since it's original build for Danish Radio there are no DL or Edacs but instead a lot of Tuchel 30 pin connectors on it.

We want to place the stereo channel bucket just right of the lefthandside patchbay, then 2 mono buckets, the center section, and then the last 3 mono buckets. Therefore we will need to depin the Mrac connectors shells of the center section to back out of the bucket frame cable ducts. Then insert one more bucket and then pull mrac wires through this new bucket and plase them back in the Mrac connector shells. The cables of the Mrac seem to have the appropriate spare lenght of approx 330mm. Have anyone tried this before? Is it easier to remove the bantam sockets ie. do it from the other end? G console frames has a part of the frame that's removable so you don't have to squeeze all the cables throung the small openings in the back of the bucket frames but can take the cables out sideways and therefor the Mrac depinning isn't needed. Tricky to describe in words. See attached pic of G console cable ducts.

This also means that we will need to extend and modify the two 0v rods (pure cobber or brass?) based on the way ssl did it on bigger consoles with split point. The center section  part of the rods need more m6 thread holes than the normal bucket parts that only need one on eadh rod. We will mill the ectension-connections on my CNC machine. See attached sketch.

Will post updates along.

Cheers,
Uffe
« Last Edit: December 10, 2016, 02:31:15 PM by ULH »

Matt Sartori

• Administrator
    • London
    • Solid State Logic Fanatics Database
Re: Extending 4032e to 4048e
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2016, 06:36:12 PM »
This is AWESOME!

please post loads of pictures and videos, you can also email them to me so I can post them on the Facebook Page info@sslmixed.com

very very much looking forward to see this developing!!

Matt Sartori.

Rune Rask

• Copenhagen
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2016, 09:10:02 PM »
Yes,

Here is some pictures of the console we are gonna extend.

best

Rune

Rune Rask

• Copenhagen
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2016, 01:44:45 PM »
The stereo channels came today, i will attache the multiplex cards now.

ULH

• Copenhagen Denmark
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2016, 02:06:57 PM »
And here is a techincal drawing of the iron (or steel?) beams that the buckets rest on. Please please comment if you see something that's wrong and I will correct it. Right now I have asked for qoutes on getting these made (cutting, drilling and making threads) somewhere here in Copenhagen but if anyone has a pair that they don't need please PM me or Rune :)

Update: It worked! But with slight modifications: Some of the threaded holes on the sides for mounting the L-brakects holding the buckets were a bit too far apart and a smidgen too low. So please get in contact with me if you need a revised technical drawing.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2017, 06:47:15 PM by ULH »

Audioplatinum Service

• Zagreb, CROATIA
    • Embrio Production Studio
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2017, 09:51:52 AM »
Therefore we will need to depin the Mrac connectors shells of the center section to back out of the bucket frame cable ducts

Hi,

Before some time I have to move our console from one control room to attic control room. Doors in new control room are smaller,then some stairs and I ended with taking apart whole console, delooming all connections and move bucket by bucket. Maybe you can save some time with your extending if you look in my picture. MRAC connector is big, but I don't have at that time extractor tool for MRAC pins, and what I do is:

-I cut MRAC connector housing (aluminium housing) on one side with saw and remove housing, without MRAC housing I was able to pull whole MRAC loom with all pins thru console frame! Look at picture.

-When I puting console back, I push MRAC thru frame, then I mount cutted aluminium housing and put on housing some adhesive copper tape (sorry I forget take picture of that), but on the end I finish without depining whole MRAC connector and save some time. 

8)

Cheers,
Damir
AudioPlatinum Service
« Last Edit: January 04, 2017, 09:55:58 AM by Audioplatinum Service »
"A clean desk is the sign of a sick mind..."

ULH

• Copenhagen Denmark
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2017, 12:44:46 PM »
Thanks. Cool. I will look into the possibility.

ULH

• Copenhagen Denmark
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2017, 06:44:43 PM »
Just a short update.

Its has been done! She is alive and well - former 4032e now a 4048e with 40 mono and 8 stereo channels.

Furthermore Rune Rask, the owner of this beautiful console, requested a "post vca meter out" modification that I have designed and implemented based heavily on the meter buffer design from the G series. Also the console was born with a tuschel connecter panel underneath the middle of the console and this has been brought back to a custom DL connector panel under the right-hand-side patchbay.

For further updates please check out the facebook page @frostboxlabs. Thanks!

Cheers,
Uffe - Frostbox Labs

ULH

• Copenhagen Denmark
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2017, 02:04:41 PM »
Timelapse video of this project finally edited and up on our facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/frostboxlabs/

Matt Sartori

• Administrator
    • London
    • Solid State Logic Fanatics Database
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2017, 11:54:03 PM »
Beautiful Job!

Matt Sartori.

ULH

• Copenhagen Denmark
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2017, 06:37:03 AM »
Thanks! Feel free to share it on the sslmixed facebook page ;) That would awesome and an honour. Thanks again for keeping this place running for all of us.

brewery

• The Brewery
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2017, 11:27:38 AM »
regarding getting the mracs out of the frame - de-pinning is the only way to go, and actually really easy.

i just had to refurbish a console where the decommissioning crew decided to just cut both connectors of, and break the console down into individual buckets. absolutely unnecessary, and a big pain in the ass.

the simple way to do it is to find a right size straw, push it in around the pin, which releases the barbs.
as always with depinning, gently pushing the wire into the connector from the other side helps.

even better, get the depinning tool. it's the exact same one that you need for all of the bicc connectors. there are slightly different ones for male and female pins. rs has them, but their site is down at the moment. those will release the barbs and eject the pin when you push the plunger down.

finding mrac parts is getting harder, the last batch of pins i had to order from a surplus shop in the states. so please don't cut those shells!!

ULH

• Copenhagen Denmark
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2017, 03:02:00 PM »
Thanks for the mrac info. We got away by cutting out two small peices of aluminum of the inserted bucket frame (like the removabel part of a G bucket frame) so we didn't need to cut or depin the mracs.

Cheers,
Uffe

brewery

• The Brewery
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2017, 08:30:43 PM »
cool, a lot better then cutting the pins off  :)

this should be the right tool:

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/extraction-tools/0466876/?origin=PSF_435611|cav

works for all of the bicc and round power connectors too, definitely a handy tool if you're working on 4ks.