Author Topic: Help Needed with Talkback function SSL 4000E  (Read 3203 times)

nycsudio1

• NYC
Help Needed with Talkback function SSL 4000E
« on: September 25, 2014, 08:31:32 PM »
I am trying to get a remote talkback switch installed on my SSL 4000 but can't figure out how to make it work. I've tried to reach out to many people using this systems and even techs without success, so I really appreciate if someone could help me out with this.

I bought a 2cue system and installed on my dangerous monitor without any problems, however I can only get it to work partially on my SSL.

I wired a DL connector for DL59 as per suggestion of Keith from Recycle Audio, on pins A6 and B6, which activate the cues switch. When I press the cue switch on the SSL center section it activates cues 1 and 2 as well as the mic, however when I press the remote switch it only activates cues 1 and 2 but there's no mic signal going to the cans.

Wiring both wires from 2cue system to A6 and B6 connectors as instructed by Keith doesn't do anything, so I had to actually ground one of the pins along with the wire from the remote so I could get the cues activated. Unfortunately after trying all available connection options I still cannot get the mic activated in conjunction with cues 1 and 2.

I really need to get this going soon and appreciate if someone could provide me with detailed information on how to connect the 2cue system with the SSL so I can get the remote talkback fully functional.

Thanks a lot.

Louis
« Last Edit: September 26, 2014, 06:46:55 AM by nycsudio1 »

nycsudio1

• NYC
Re: Help Needed with Talkback function SSL 4000E
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2014, 06:51:17 PM »
If anyone knows how to install a wired remote talkback I appreciate the help as I believe that the setup should be similar.

Thanks!!

brewery

• The Brewery
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2014, 01:57:28 PM »
this is how the brainstorm remotes were connected.
you won't have the molex board behind the center section on an old E, another good place to grab everything from is the meter distribution board under the patch.
the first big bicc connector should have everything you need (it's used for the producer's panel).

jimlfixit

• Global Moderator
    • Maidenhead, Bucks, UK
621 Producers Panel Bicc for talkback functions etc
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2014, 02:00:11 AM »
In most of the older SSL consoles at least, whether they were fitted or not, SSL provided a loom for a 621 3u Producers Panel. This was B1, a 24 way rectangular Bicc connector (6 x 4 crimps) on a short loom which was almost always located in the patchbay area where the 621 would normally be fitted apart from when it was remote from the console via DL59.

This B1 Bicc connector had power, some duplicate circuits from the 651, such as talkback mic, cues and sometimes, other functions as well. Most of the wires were labelled X ...? which meant that they originated from within the console (probably via one of the 104 way 651 Mrac connectors) as opposed to the patchbay. Wires labelled Z ...? also originated from within the console, probably to/from a custom PCB located at the rear of the console.

I'll post this information regarding B1 in the documentation menu as well.

Hope this helps from Jim Lassen (www.profcon.co.uk). Also on FACEBOOK

nycsudio1

• NYC
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2014, 04:40:35 AM »
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the reply.

As I mentioned on my first posting I was trying to connect a 2cue remote system to activate the talkback mic on my SSL 4000 via wireless remote control.

After a a lot of help from the manufacturer of the 2cue system I got the system to work by connecting pins A6 and P2 of DL59 to the two wires coming from the 2cue receiver.

The system now works as if I was pressing the cues button on the console center section.

Thanks a lot.

Louis