Author Topic: SSL 611E 611Ge and 611G  (Read 4529 times)

MarconeMusic

• Halomusic.ca
SSL 611E 611Ge and 611G
« on: August 30, 2017, 08:43:20 PM »
Hi all.

First post here. Cool site!

I've read a bunch through the threads and wanted to know if anyone knows the answer to this:

The console I am getting is loaded with 611E, 611Ge and 611G

I know pretty well the difference between the E and G but what is the Ge?
I've just purchased an SSL 4064E from Atlanta and haven't picked up yet, Looking to get info before.

On this "differences" topic, In the photos, there is a card that one channel has that the others dont have, I've circled its area on two of the photos... what might this card be?

I cant see close enough and dont know the complete layout of these modules by heart yet. (will do when i get her up here tho.. )

See if you can spot anything i should be aware of on the photos. I've noticed a few differences, but not sure what they mean. (EQ pic order of channels is G-E-Ge)

They also say it has been modded to a G Centre section. What does that really do? Functionality or tone?

Thanks guys!

Marcone
« Last Edit: August 30, 2017, 08:48:39 PM by MarconeMusic »

MarconeMusic

• Halomusic.ca
Re: SSL 611E 611Ge and 611G
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2017, 08:49:21 PM »
Ran out of attachment size...

brewery

• The Brewery
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2017, 12:17:19 PM »
Ge is a G module that came standard with E (black) EQ.

Gotta say i've never seen that little extra pcb, definitely not standard on E channels.

walrus

• London, UK.
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2017, 02:40:37 PM »
Says something about Meter on the card. A close up pic of it will reveal all.
Kevin.

MarconeMusic

• Halomusic.ca
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2017, 07:56:14 PM »
Unfortunately don't have a closeup.
Can't bother him to take them back out and photo them again. So I am at y'all mercy. :)

paramountrec

• Los Angeles
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2017, 05:44:20 AM »
That was an optional "line input to meter" switching card for the E-series channels.  We have those on a 6K.

walrus

• London, UK.
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2017, 09:57:15 AM »
That was my thoughts as to what it is.
We also had that at Whitfield Street (CBS Studios) on our 6k.
But that was 25 years ago, and I can't remember any little boards now!  :-[
Kevin.

seedubs

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2017, 07:24:25 PM »
 I wonder if that was the console that came from Doppler Studios E room? If so that was the first SSL I ever saw. Im sure it was very well maintained if so. Congrats !

MarconeMusic

• Halomusic.ca
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2017, 07:42:04 PM »
Yep. That's the one. Dopplers E room Ssl

Druhms

• Panama City
    • Rockin' Room in P.C. Florida
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2017, 03:02:35 AM »
I was thinking Doppler too.  Great studio.  Legendary.  Wonderful desk.  A hit maker!
I'd start hoarding some meters.  I remember it had the Plasma Meters....but I could be wrong.

As far as the "Ge" strip.....I thought,  without looking at your pics,  that it's a G Channel with the E amplifier circuit.  The EQ types were flying all over the place.  You could load it up any way you wanted.  But I don't think the EQ type was ever designated on the Channel Model.  But there were people that had serious convictions regarding transformers in the Mic Amps.  People were jumping on the "transformerless train" as cleaner signal paths were gaining popularity (another example-Moving Fader Auto:  No VCA's).  I seem to remember the Ge strip having a stepped gain knob.

Let me know if this rings a bell with anyone else.
Have fun!  And welcome to the club!  SSL's will change your life!
JJ Crews
www.BoogieTracks.com

seedubs

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2017, 06:13:17 PM »
  The SSL transformer coupled preamp is one of my favorites . We have a 8k loaded with these pre's and I like them better than focusrite ISA, API etc with the exception of the all mighty Neve 1272.  I laugh when people think I'm crazy for tracking with them.  The shots of the doppler desk don't show the little metal transformers on the channel amp cards so I don't think this desk is equipped with them.

Druhms

• Panama City
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2017, 03:06:57 AM »
Transformers are usually my favorites in anything.  I rarely use the pre's in the desk,  but I agree.  They get less love than they should.  Very good preamps!
JJ
www.BoogieTracks.com

MarconeMusic

• Halomusic.ca
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2017, 03:44:50 AM »
I Just saw that there were more posts.
Somehow im not getting notifications.

That aside, Yes its the doppler one, has the plasma meters, hopefully theyre still good as i was told.
These strips dont have transformers that i know of, i know where i can get some transformer pres tho.. Might get a few for 'flavor' : )

Just got the paperwork together to get it across the border, Its coming up to Canada, Hamilton Ontario.

Super stoked to get it and enjoy it!

Druhms

• Panama City
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2017, 06:57:39 AM »
Have fun Marcone!!
The classic SSL is a game changer....as you already know!  Your tedious hours invested getting that legend up to spec will reward you in spades! There's plenty of reasons why we are here discussing these giants!
Kudos to you for grabbing such a legendary desk!
JJ
www.BoogieTracks.com

amillar

• United Kingdom
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2017, 08:14:52 PM »
Yes, what's called a Ge channel here (new one on me!) is a fully G  series channel strip but with an "E" equaliser, I think it's a 242? Nice combination. (Personally I prefer the '02 equaliser, but then I'm a much better electronics engineer than I am sound engineer :) )

I expect I've said somewhere else here that when Paul and I designed the G series (292) eq we never expected a whole desk to be fitted with them, they're great for certain things but too powerful much of the time. (We were trying to emulate the Focusright EQ, but the gain controls on that are rather bigger, and so rather more sensitive, than you can get on  4k desk!) But Chris Jenkins and Colin Sanders decided (probably quite sensibly) that this would be far too complicated to market, so decided on the simpler approach of saying a G series desk would have G series EQs, but you could have other EQs as an option.

I also like the old "01" transformer mic amps, in fact I've still got a batch of the transformers from them which I occasionally build into mic amps, but they are definitely not "clean", the transformer just isn't big enough not to distort with high level bass. So because our aim was always to keep the signal path as clean as possible they sadly had to go when we did the G series upgrade.

I'd completely forgotten about the line-in-to-meters mod, thanks for reminding me! Nasty bodge, but we did fit it to a few desks in the mid 1980s.

Enjoy the desk! it's fantastic that these are still living on.

Cheers,

Andy Millar
co-designer and project manager G series analogue 1987
channel strip designer J series 1992-93
design "caretaker" 4000/6000 1985-93
analogue team leader ARC/Bertha 1988-92