Author Topic: External monitoring not working **SOLVED**  (Read 2744 times)

oyanliz

External monitoring not working **SOLVED**
« on: September 20, 2017, 07:42:42 AM »
Hi all,

The console we purchased months ago and still we are refurbishing, it does not work the external monitoring section. All the console is recaped and we have replaced all fets, ICs, opamps... of all cards from 651 master section; speciallly cards 22, 23, 24, 28 and 29. The monitor pot and mini sl pot, dim... now is working, after replacing all the ICs. The "external to monitor" section still does not work, when "externat to monitor" is selected, makes high "pops" when selecting sources and no one is working.

I swaped both CF82E28 cards (between them), but nothing changes. I have readen all the threads regarding to this issue and have tried everything, but without success.

If someone could give me a hand... I would be very grateful!!

I have attached photos of my cards, maybe could help finding the issue.

Thanks in advance.

Best regards.

Oihan
« Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 02:57:30 PM by oyanliz »

oyanliz

Re: External monitoring not working
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2017, 03:00:01 PM »

Hi all,

Nobody can give me a hand?

Thanks in advance.

Chris Simon

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2017, 04:47:46 PM »
I'd be looking on the '24 card myself. Does the External to Monitor switch light up? Can you see a change of voltage on pin 48 of the '24 card edge connector? If you have an extender card for the '24, do you see the voltage changing on the collector of TR11 as you press the switch? Look for a fault that would disable all external monitor switching. Also, carefully examine the black rubber tubing on the back of the card; lift the tubing from the surface of the board and see if it crumbles. I've seen the tubing become conductive and mess with logic levels on the card.

oyanliz

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2017, 07:14:12 AM »
Thanks for helping Chris.

I measured the pin 48, -17,89V when the "external to monitor" is off and 17,46V when it is switched on. I do not have any extender card, so I can not measure the voltage change on TR11. I will try swapping the TR10 and TR11, and I will try checking all the components starting from pin 48.

Anyway, I am not shure if my card is modded or not, it has several jumpers built on the back part of it, could someone compare with his 82E24 please? I see some cuts on the top of the PCB so... maybe I am fighting with a unknown mod card and I´m wasting time so...

Thanks again.

Oihan

oyanliz

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2017, 01:31:56 PM »
Hi,

I have checked each the component of the CF82E24 card wich can afect to the issue. I swapped TR11 with TR13 and checked all the resistors and diodes.

I spend some time checking the section and ST5 left input (from patchbay) is working routing via SLS monitor output , but no other external input is working. As far as I unterstund, CF82E28 cards are for SLS and Monitor selectors, but swapping them, nothing changes. I am going to check the connectios of the patchbay, but after this, I do not have more ideas for how to forward with the issue.

I would apreciate any help.

Thanks in advance.

Best regards.

Oihan

amillar

• United Kingdom
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2017, 11:02:58 AM »
Hi,
Does the "Ext to Mon" light light up, and if you press different external source buttons do they light correctly?
Sorry to ask the obvious, but when trying to diagnose remotely you have to!
Also where (which country / city) are you?
Cheers,
Andy
co-designer and project manager G series analogue 1987
channel strip designer J series 1992-93
design "caretaker" 4000/6000 1985-93
analogue team leader ARC/Bertha 1988-92

oyanliz

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2017, 04:05:13 PM »
Hi amillar,

Thanks for the interest. Everything lights fine, "ext to mon" switch, all external source switches... all of them lighting when switched on.

I am from north of Spain, close from San-Sebastian.

Thanks again.

Oihan

oyanliz

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2018, 02:56:47 PM »
Hi all,

After trying everything, I have decided to replace the card CF82E29 by a "new" one. Everything works fine now, the external sources sound a little bit low, but I think it is fine.

I still don't know what is wrong with the original card.

Best regards.

Oihan

chris_heyman

• Cph Denmark
    • Heyman Studios
Re: External monitoring not working **SOLVED**
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2018, 09:49:19 PM »
Hi There.

I just had the same problem!!! Alot of the headache with the SSL is all of the "condoms" used underneath the cards to strap on ressistors.

My problem was Card 24 and Card 29, I can see you have the same problem! The material used for insulating is air moisture absorbent, so they get wet and shorts alot of connections. I recomend thin teflon tube, that will last forever!!

Replace all heatshrink on the bottom on card 24 and replace all heatshrink on card 29 on the one capasitor leg going over the ground track (there is alot of them) they short one of the voltages for the IC's to ground. And then the external to monitor dont work.

A good idea is to replace all of the bad pieces of heatshrink!

The pieces under the Eq card can make your eqs sound like a motorboat, and the one under the group card (22 pif) does wierd things as well!

Good luck with the Console!

Best Regards Christian Heyman.

oyanliz

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2018, 07:45:18 AM »
Hi Chris,

Thanks for writeing. I am replacing all the heat shrink of all the cards by new heat shrink. It would be nice to know wht kind of teflon tube you could recomend and where can be purchased.

Regards.

Oihan

chris_heyman

• Cph Denmark
    • Heyman Studios
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2018, 10:18:43 PM »
Hi Oihan :)

No worries! :D 

Its called PTFE Teflon Tube, you can get everywhere on the web, I buy the clear one and a couple of mm's thick. Its totally waterproof and it is NOT electrically conductive, so its the perfect solution to that problem.
Remember to clean the solder points very good with Isopropyl alcohol. The moisture underneath where the old heatshrink has been seated can be totaly rotten of coppershit, and makes everything short out! Clean clean clean! ;)

Very important, check under the eq and group cards on the SSL mono channels, there is alot of headache underneath those two channel cards.

I have replaced all heatshrink in my center section and channels on my SSL 4048E.
Do yourself a big favor, and just replace the heatshrink on all center section cards.

When I turned on my console after install everything was just noisy, it was the moist heatshrink on the quad monitor card (card 25) causing that, I replaced the heatshrink with PTFE tube and then it was clean as a whistle! :D

There is ALOT of those "condoms" ind your SSL so do a close inspection of everything :)

Good luck with the board!

Best Regards Christian Heyman.