Author Topic: SSL 4000 E VCA Group Faders Problem (computer removed console) >>SOLVED<<  (Read 2565 times)

oyanliz

Hi all,

I have a similar problem as explained in this topic:

http://forum.sslmixed.com/index.php/topic,366.msg1846.html#msg1846

My console has the "total recall"and computer removed. When we purchased the refurbished console, we went discovering that it had several problems we are still fixing. This particular problem is regarding to the VCA group faders. When any of VCA group is selected in any channel fader, nothing happens. The tech who sold us the console, made a mod installing a jumper from S15e to S19e connector of the CF82E38 (VCA Fader buss card) and removing the S15e and S16e connectors (see picture). He also cut one of the PCB track wich connects S13e with S15e connector. After done the mod, VCA groups worked but not as should be. Sending the audio signal to the VCA groups, became posible, but sending the signal between VCA groups was not possible and solo/cut any of VCA group neither.

We want to fix this section and become functioning as should work. We have removed the jumper installed by the tech and replaced all the ICs on the 6082E20X card (our 82E20 card). When checking the 82E20 card, we realized that T11 (BFR39) and T22 (BFR80) transistors are missing, no transistor, no socket... both are removed from their place on the PCB (82E20 card, see attached photos).

Obviously, I already have ordered the transistors and I will install them as soon as they arrive.

But I still have a doubt with the DIY 50 pin IDC plug for bypassing the computer, do I need this plug? (I do not have any computer) should I connect/disconnect the 50 pin plug from the VCA group faders card (82E20)?

Thanks in advance for reading.

I hope someone could help with this.

Best regards.

Oihan
« Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 09:05:08 AM by oyanliz »

BN1studio

Re: SSL 4000 E VCA Group Faders Problem (computer removed console)
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2017, 11:38:02 AM »
Not a direct reply to your question but, from memory, to bypass the computer you unplug the ribbon cables to each fader and plug in a blanking plug with a looped ribbon. This bypasses the VCA send / return to the computer. The VCA groups work as standard when the computer is bypassed. TR doesn't affect the signal path so can be disconnected

Sounds like the fix was designed to do something other than bypass the computer. I don't know why you'd mod the console to bypass the computer when you can plug in blanking plugs

Nick Froome

oyanliz

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2017, 01:17:18 PM »
Thanks a lot Nick.

I have ordered 10 pin ribbon cable and a few IDC 50 pin female connectors for building 4 blanking plugs. As far as I have readen, consists on crimping the 10 pin ribbon cable into a 50 pin connector to connect  pins 31-40 to pins 41-50. So 31 to 41, 32 to 42...

I will write back when the missing transistors are installed on the PCB and IDC 50 pin loopers connected.

Regards

Oihan

oyanliz

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2017, 09:04:47 AM »
Hi all,

T11 (BFR39) and T22 (BFR80) transistors replaced on the PCB (82E20 card):

- BFR39-> replaced by BC639 transistor
- BFR80-> eplaced by BC640 transistor

The modification made by a tech on VCA card CF82E38, has been removed and IDC 50 pin jumpers have been installed on the botton part of the console.

Everything works fine now.

The only one issue is that, when any of VCA group is soloed, all the VCAs get cutted, except VCA number 7. Solo/cut of the 7th VCA group works fine, but when soloing any VCA, the rest of VCAs get cutted except 7th VCA group.

Thanks to all.

Regards.

Oihan