Author Topic: Sync Console to Tape Machine Cable  (Read 2630 times)

jmstevens

• Austin, TX
Sync Console to Tape Machine Cable
« on: September 27, 2017, 05:57:19 PM »
Hello folks.  I'm about to wrap a project that is staying analog to the bitter end, and I'm in need of info for syncing my SSL 6000 to an MCI JH24 for automation/mixing.  My normal workflow involves being synced to Pro Tools for mixing via the Desk Doctor ZX card.  Can anyone out there drop some knowledge on me, or perhaps have a spare cable lying around or know where to obtain one or have one made?  Any help would be mega-appreciated.

Thanks!
James

Clip6

Re: Sync Console to Tape Machine Cable
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2017, 02:59:04 AM »
Any luck? You'll need a Lynx Timeline 2 and strip smpte on the MCI. I use 2tools to sync PT. I don't have a MTR here. Not hard. Somebody should chime in on this.

walrus

• London, UK.
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2017, 10:41:25 AM »
All I have is this which gives the constants needed for the JH24.
Kevin.

walrus

• London, UK.
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2017, 10:53:54 AM »
Found these which by cross ref to the SSL S29E pinout should enable a cable to be made...
Kevin.

Clip6

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2017, 08:08:38 PM »
Looked thru my notes and email, this is what i have.

The A827 connects to the SSL with the S29E master multitrack DB25 cable.  There are pin out diagrams around.  It should have come with the SSL manual.  It includes Tach and Direction tally from the Studer to the SSL computer.  Also timecode from track 24 needs to go "to and from" the Studer to the computer via the patch bay.

ProTools can be set in "wait for sync" and "on line" in the system prefs.  You then use the Studer as Master with the SSL.  Feed the SSL T/C generator output to the input of Protools.  PT's will now follow the Studer.

Also in the PT's prefs, there is a way to have PT's "Re-start where it stopped", as a opposed to where you last started. I know it's somewhere on the upper left of one of the pref pages.

To make PT's work "LIKE A ANALOG MACHINE" you need to buy 2Tools.  This interfaces between ProTools and the SSL computer.  You will then be able the run the REW, FF, Play, Stop, Rec. Master  controls of the SSL and Protools will "act" like your tape analog machine.

Without a Lynx, etc style syncronizer, you won't be able to also sync the Studer at the same time.

In a traditional two multitrack machine method, yes you would need one Lynx for every machine.  In the case of your single Studer. All you could do with the Lynx is to use it as a "Code only master" from the output of the SSL T/C Gen or ProTools.  It works for full passes for transferring audio from the Studer to PT's.  But that's about it.  It doesn't work with stop, start, rew, play, stop etc.

You also WILL NEED a "House Master Sync" Generator.  I.E. Something that supplies, Video Black 59.94hz and/or word clock (44.1, 48, 88.2, 96k) to Protools and the Lynx.  Otherwise you'll never get the Studer to lock with the PT's system.  Remember PT's dosen't vari-speed!!

In ProTools you must  set all sessions to be 29.97 hz NDF, or DF code.  NO 30hz code period!!!!

Every machine in the studio "must" be set to "Ext Sync" and clocked to the "Master" clock.

http://www.rosendahl-studiotechnik.com/nanosyncs.html
The Standard

http://www.mytekdigital.com/products/studioclock192.htm
However doesn't generater Video Sync.  Some old equipment, including the LYNX modules and all video based equipment require video sync (Video Black Burst Sync).

Below is the set-up for WS.  All three studios were "Locked" to the same "Master House Sync" clock. In each control room, you also have the ability to lock to W/C.  This W/C output was clocked from the original "House" sync.

You'll have to ask around, to some of the studios what's the best "MasterClock" generator around. The company we used in each studio is no more, also.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2017, 03:21:28 PM by Clip6 »

waltzingbear

• Portland, Oregon
    • Waltzing Bear Audio
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2017, 02:35:40 AM »
Brainstorm DCD8 with VSG-4

http://www.brainstormtime.com/dcd8.php

all the clocks you'll ever need, locked together (including video)
Alan Garren
Waltzing Bear Audio

jmstevens

• Austin, TX
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2017, 06:16:24 PM »
Thanks so much for all the info, folks!  I will study and report back with hopefully a success story.

James

waltzingbear

• Portland, Oregon
    • Waltzing Bear Audio
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2017, 03:34:13 AM »
Rosendahl looks good, they redesigned the offerings since I checked last.  About $500 less than the DCD8 and it has a real built in supply, not a cheesy 1/8" plug.
Alan Garren
Waltzing Bear Audio