Author Topic: Lowering Fader Activates Cut  (Read 1963 times)

Matt Salazar

• Los Angeles, CA
    • In Flight Music Group
Lowering Fader Activates Cut
« on: November 18, 2017, 03:51:48 AM »
When the channel fader (Ultimation) is above roughly -5 the channel is uncut, once lowered past -5 the cut light goes on and the channel audio is cut.

Here's a link to a video showing the issue:

https://youtu.be/LV6kwfZ3qVE

Artur D'Assumpção

• Sintra, Portugal
Re: Lowering Fader Activates Cut
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2017, 04:47:25 PM »
Seem like your fader voltage might be off somewhere. CUT light will be turned on when fader voltage is roughly between 7/7.5v and 10v. I'd start by checking the VCA card 354 card of the affected channel. :)

brewery

• The Brewery
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2017, 08:48:46 PM »
yes, could either be vca card or fader electronics. easiest way to find out is to put the fader into another slot.if the problem doesn't move with the fader, look into the channel card(and the ribbon cable). if it does, its the fader.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2017, 08:51:40 PM by brewery »

Matt Salazar

• Los Angeles, CA
    • In Flight Music Group
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2017, 12:32:57 AM »
Tested, and it is the fader. Where would you look to fix the problem?

Artur D'Assumpção

• Sintra, Portugal
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2017, 08:33:01 PM »
yes, could either be vca card or fader electronics. easiest way to find out is to put the fader into another slot.if the problem doesn't move with the fader, look into the channel card(and the ribbon cable). if it does, its the fader.

This is indeed the best tip, but I though this would be obvious to test in first place! :)

Artur D'Assumpção

• Sintra, Portugal
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2017, 08:45:53 PM »

This is indeed the best tip, but I though this would be obvious to test in first place! :)

Wait 2 weeks Matt and you'll have your extender to crack open the fader and start measuring it out. :)

I would say the problem could be on the 353 card. Either it's right at the beginning of the circuit were the LIN_CONTROL_VOLTAGE is output to the next part of the circuit (page 2), or somewhere on the conversion between the LIN_CONTROL_VOLTAGE and the VCA_CONTROL_VOLTAGEs (page 2). But you'll need to probe it out, step by step, and find where the voltage starts to get funky.

If you group the fader and match levels to the group fader, when you move the group fader does it move the same or it's all over the place? If it is then I would say it's in the first part of the circuit (page 1), if motor operation is ok and tracks exactly the group fader, then I would say it's in the second part of the circuit. - check the 353 diagrams to see these output voltages I mentioned above.

Cheers,

Artur
« Last Edit: November 20, 2017, 10:29:12 PM by Artur D'Assumpção »