Author Topic: Patching and Small Issues  (Read 2448 times)

MarconeMusic

• Halomusic.ca
Patching and Small Issues
« on: December 05, 2017, 04:11:03 PM »
HI,

Just curious, Anyone know of Cross talk issues in the patch bays? Is this common or from age/lack of cleaning.

I had a time code recording the other night for a show, for which i signal had passing (Very lightly) over a few channels.
Once i got to the "right' channel, no cross talk.  . . Should i clean these bays? Should i refrain from it?

brewery

• The Brewery
Re: Patching and Small Issues
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2017, 10:34:48 AM »
can't really see how a dirty patch bay would cause crosstalk between channels. dodgy normals sure, but there shouldn't be any other paths.

make sure that all your ground connections are tight and clean, and that the ground bus on the patch is intact.
a loose nut on the center section ground post can cause all kinds crosstalk issues - oscillator bleeding into channels is the most common one.

having said this, of course your patch bay should be clean. lots of different approaches, from burnishing tools to ultrasonic dips.
I would try to stay way from stay cleaners, they will only attract more dirt in the long run. I just make sure to vacuum the bay once a month, and clean the patch cables on a regular basis. if there's a lot of gunk in there you will have to go in for a proper clean.

waltzingbear

• Portland, Oregon
    • Waltzing Bear Audio
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2017, 05:59:54 PM »
I assume a stay cleaner is a spray cleaner??

wholeheartedly agree.

Cheers
Alan
Alan Garren
Waltzing Bear Audio

jimlfixit

• Global Moderator
    • Maidenhead, Bucks, UK
Patchbay cross talk etc
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2017, 02:29:59 AM »
Hi people
There shouldn't be any issues with cross talk on patchbays unless a badly wired wire (without a sleeve) is shorting to something else. It's not a cleaning issue either but I am about to post something in the wiring menu now which may help.

jimlfixit

• Global Moderator
    • Maidenhead, Bucks, UK
Protecting your console from dust
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2017, 03:27:25 AM »
Hi all
I keep seeing the same problem, whether it is an 12 channel Mackie or a 72 channel SSL. Unless your mixing desk (smaller version) or your full sized console is kept powered on 24/7, keep it covered up to prevent dust from getting at it, especially the faders.

This also applies to the patchbay which is arguably more prone to dust and other things (ie drinks) affecting their use as the horizontal producers table is in front of it.

Unless they are in constant use, COVER THEM UP. A plastic (or polythene) sheet is good rather than a blanket type of material which has it's own dust. It costs just a few dollars, pounds or Euros and can prolong the life of your console and save all that cleaning effort afterwards.

Even little old me, who has a few items of gear (mixers, speakers, a Roland electronic drum kit on a rack system, other acoustic drum stuff and studio type equipment) keeps them all covered up when not in use and I can't believe it when I see studios with gear unprotected in this way. Crazy!

Clip6

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2017, 12:01:51 AM »
Jim just went and get my old clear SSL cover for when the console is off. Great advice.

MarconeMusic

• Halomusic.ca
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2017, 02:49:24 PM »
Awesome,, thanks for the feedback guys!

So, im gonna look for a loose nut first, As the osc is definitely bleeding around sometimes, Covering the console when its on seems like a bad idea to me, I never turn it off, so i think ill get a patch bay cover, just cause that seems like it should be done. Thank you!

Love this thing.. were about to release the first single made on it start to finish... its AWESOME. :)

MarconeMusic

• Halomusic.ca
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2017, 05:10:28 PM »
Looked through the bottom of the board.
Totally connected no loose grounds and such. Any other ideas on looking for issues?

brewery

• The Brewery
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2017, 05:12:47 AM »
did you check at the bottom of the center section? there should be a heavy gauge wire connecting one of the bus bars to the center section. if that nut is just slightly lose it can cause those kind of problems. maybe also check that connection on the inside of the 651?

MarconeMusic

• Halomusic.ca
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2017, 09:58:51 PM »
Bottom of the Centre Section is totally tight.. Havent removed the 651 yet to re check it. Will do ..

MarconeMusic

• Halomusic.ca
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2017, 10:08:14 PM »
Nothing visibly or physically loose.. :(