Author Topic: SSL 4000E Total Recall Computer Problem  (Read 2077 times)

moogslim

SSL 4000E Total Recall Computer Problem
« on: December 18, 2017, 05:12:38 AM »
Hey Everyone,

So I've been having an issue with my TR computer recently. After cruising all 27 pages of threads on this forum and trying everything that I read, I decided to post and ask for help. Just a heads up I have a second TR computer from my other SSL console that has a broken power supply so I have a few spare chips from that computer to try with this one, so here's the issue.

The screen for the TR was not showing anything and the keyboard on the console was not giving any feedback, visual or beeping.

So at first it seems like the Program disk wasn't being read by the drive. So I have tried changing the disk, using the drive from my older computer, and then even borrowing a third drive from a friend that I know works 100%. Still nothing comes up.

The next step, I took apart the entire computer, chip by chip, cleaned all the contact points, chip slots etc. I turned the computer back on and nothing. Also, tried with all the drives available as well.

Next, I used the old Floppy Disk Controller chip from my other computer and connected it. Turned the computer on, nothing.

Last step, I pulled the TR chip from the other computer and swapped them out. This finally gave me some sort of feedback, when pressing the toggle button on the console. The feedback is shown in the attachment, I was unable to get any further and the console keyboard still did not give any feedback.

I am at a total loss and I'm hoping that someone on here has any tips for me. The only other thing that I thought I would be able to try is swapping the slots on the chips to see if the connections were dead. Was wondering if anyone can tell me if that is safe to do? Can I swap from one row to the other? One side of my computer is fairly open, while the row above the power supply is pretty packed up.

Thanks for any help guys!

~MS~

moogslim

Re: SSL 4000E Total Recall Computer Problem
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2017, 04:46:09 PM »
bump

Clip6

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2017, 06:57:12 PM »
You cleaned the drives? Don't think you get the beep until program loads. You reseat and clean the edge cards? Reseat the floppy and clean heads. You getting red light on program drive trying to load?

moogslim

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2017, 05:08:20 PM »
You cleaned the drives? Don't think you get the beep until program loads. You reseat and clean the edge cards? Reseat the floppy and clean heads. You getting red light on program drive trying to load?

The system beeped once after turning on the power but nothing after that. I have already reseated and cleaned the edges of the cards. I tried to reseat the floppy, tried 2 different program floppy disks. I did not clean the heads but i did try 3 different drives and had the same result. And yes I am getting red light on program drive

Clip6

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2017, 06:44:40 PM »
Yea I read you did all the usual things I just wanted to reply. Always sucks when these things happen. Someone else will chime in.
So you don't have a tech you can call? No one close or in your area. Think there is a master list of techs on gearslutz and a list here but the one on GS is bigger.
We need a master list on this site. Maybe a didn't see the right thread.
You reseated the computer and floppy ssl power connectors you know the round screw on connector.

waltzingbear

• Portland, Oregon
    • Waltzing Bear Audio
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2017, 06:10:28 PM »
I'm a little confused.

you are saying your Total Recall computer, but do you really mean the main computer? TR is a card inside the main automation computer, and you can't "see" any of that unless the main computer is working.

As I understand your notes, you are not getting the main computer to boot and load, is that correct?

You've tried a fresh program disc? You have the correct program disk? (VCA and ultimation are different)

Has this computer been working in this board?

Cheers
Alan
Alan Garren
Waltzing Bear Audio

moogslim

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2017, 10:08:11 PM »
I'm a little confused.

you are saying your Total Recall computer, but do you really mean the main computer? TR is a card inside the main automation computer, and you can't "see" any of that unless the main computer is working.

As I understand your notes, you are not getting the main computer to boot and load, is that correct?

You've tried a fresh program disc? You have the correct program disk? (VCA and ultimation are different)

Has this computer been working in this board?

Cheers
Alan

Hey Alan,

Sorry for the slow response time, the holiday has put me out of a touch a little bit. I should have said that the entire computer is having an issue, I have just only ever used it for TR. My apologies.

I have tried 3 program disks and yes they are correct.

moogslim

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2017, 10:08:53 PM »
Yea I read you did all the usual things I just wanted to reply. Always sucks when these things happen. Someone else will chime in.
So you don't have a tech you can call? No one close or in your area. Think there is a master list of techs on gearslutz and a list here but the one on GS is bigger.
We need a master list on this site. Maybe a didn't see the right thread.
You reseated the computer and floppy ssl power connectors you know the round screw on connector.

i'm heading to post over on GS right now and see if i can get any more help. thanks for that!