Author Topic: VCA fader + cut not working **SOLVED**  (Read 2494 times)

oyanliz

VCA fader + cut not working **SOLVED**
« on: February 08, 2018, 12:31:21 PM »
Hi all,

I´m getting crazy with a channel strip. I´m stuck and I do not know what more I can do regarding to the issues.

The problems:

- VCA fader is bypassed by the signal (does not act on the signal)
- VCA CUT switch does not cut the signal andthe lamp does not switch on when pushing it

Tests done:

- VCA works perfect
- CUT light switches on, when another channel is soloed (and CUT works)
- CUT switch it is working (I get +17.8/0v on pins 27/32 of VCA card 82E13 when switching on/off) (I also have replaced the switch, just in case)
- I get correct values in the VCA 82E13 card (+-17,75v and 5v between pins 29, 30, 35 and 32)
- All the IC´s of the logic card 82E12 have been tested and the logic card has been swapped (just in case)
- Cards 82E13 (VCA), 82E11 (group amp), 82E02 (EQ), 82E10 (dynamics), 82E241 (amp) and 82E03 (recall) have been swapped by a well functioning channel cards.

I think there is something wrong in the 611 motherboard, but I do not know what more can I check in the channel.

I will be very gratefull if someone can give to me any idea.

Thanks in advance.

Best regards.

Oihan
« Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 07:33:43 AM by oyanliz »

Showcase

• Dreamix
Re: VCA fader + cut not working
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2018, 06:56:00 PM »
so... another channel would work in this slot?

oyanliz

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2018, 08:36:54 PM »
Yes, I am testing it with an extender. I tried other channels and they work perfect, as the VCA fader.

Any idea about what to try?

Chris Simon

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2018, 03:50:51 PM »
Are you familiar with the SSL computer test functions? Try this: type !TES, then IB on the keyboard. This will give you a bargraph display of the faders on the onboard monitor. Does this channel's bargraph move when the fader is moved? If not, look at the VCA fader voltage on the motherboard lower buss connector, pin 75. Does that track the fader movement? If other strips worked fine in that position in the console, the ribbon that attaches the fader to the fader buss card is O.K.  Check the Check the S21 ribbon that connects the '03 Multiplex card to the motherboard. It's very common that this ribbon gets damaged. You're looking for good connections between the '03 and '13 VCA cards to be good.

If the onscreen bargraph responds O.K., but the fader doesn't work, then type !TES the OVA on the keyboard, and press the VCA to Meters switch in the master section. This will ramp all the channel meters up. If it doesn't, then look at the fader voltage return path from the computer, again looking for voltages from the '03 to '13 cards. Again. a fault in the S21 ribbon will be fatal.

There's more, but this will get you started. Good luck.

Chris

oyanliz

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2018, 08:11:48 AM »
Hi Chris,

You should give me your address, I will send you a very good bottle of wine!! Thanks for helping again!

I am trying the recapped channels (from our recently bought 40 channel console) into the working console we have in our studio. This console, is a 48 channel console cutted to 24 channel and it has the computer removed (it is on sale, it will be replaced for the 40 channels console).

I never have used the computer, our working console has jumpers plugged in the output connectors of the "to computer" plugs of the console. So I can not test the computer functions.

Anyway, I have swapped the multiplex 82E03 card with all the ribbon cables attached by a working multiplex and all ribbon cables... and still the problesm is there.

I am pluging the channel strips in the extender for testing after recapped, and the extender, fader... they work fine. In this case, the channel has something (is what I think)

I will try swapping all the cards in another channel strip and test both strips, this way I should ensure that the problem comes from the 611 board, should not I?

Let me know if I am taking a wrong way for testing.

Thanks once more.

Oihan

Chris Simon

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2018, 10:04:33 AM »
Alright, to recap;

Another strip works fine in that position; console motherboard O.K.

Swapping cards into another strip work fine; cards O.K.

Swapping working cards and ribbons into bad strip doesn't work; connections or strip motherboard bad?

Try this; measure the voltages on the VCA card edge connector pins 17 (from fader) and 20 (to VCA). Are they the same when you move the fader? If not, check continuity from pin 17 to the '03 multiplex card's T23 pin 11, and VCA pin 20 to multiplex T23 pin 13. The fader voltage may not be getting looped back into the VCA card.

As always, good luck.

Chris

oyanliz

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2018, 07:18:26 PM »
Hi Chris,

I am measuring the VCA card pins. I'm reading different values on pin 17 (computar send), when I move the fader. On pin 20 (comp return), I'm measuring 0v all the time (when moving the fader), so something is wrong on the board. I have swapped all the cards, once more, just in case and the issue is there, so the problem is between S73 and VCA pin connectors, is it?
I don't understand when you say to check T23 pin 11. I see in the manual, the VCA fader solo and Cut are on ribbon S73 pin 20 and 18. Then says pin 5 and 4, and chip T3. I'm not sure if I understand the multiplexer input connector table.
I will check the connectors.

Chris Simon

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2018, 07:44:28 PM »
T23 is the IC on the '03 multiplex card. Sorry, I got one of the pins wrong. VCA pin 20 should connect to T23 pin 10, not 13.  You should get continuity between these two pins, regardless of the strip being powered or not, just as VCA pin 17 connects to T23 pin 11. Don't worry about S73 or IC T3 now; these connections on the multiplex card are used for Total Recall.

oyanliz

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2018, 09:10:10 PM »
I'm getting continuity between VCA pin 20 and multiplex T23 IC pins  9-10 and  between VCA pin 17 and multiplex T23 IC pin 7.

oyanliz

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2018, 09:24:39 PM »
I have checked the continuity on the S21 connector. I get continuity between VCA pin 20 and one of the pins of S21 (I don't know about the pinout of these connectors), but I don't get any continuity between VCA pin 17 and any of S21 pins.
I have checked another channel strip and I get continuity correctly.

Chris Simon

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2018, 09:43:26 PM »
VCA pin 17 to T23 pin 7? Pin7 is 0v (GND).  That would be the problem; your VCA voltage is being shorted to ground. Try this; pull ribbon S21 at the motherboard end, and check continuity between VCA pin 17 and Ground (Upper Buss Connector pins 44,45,46). If you get continuity, then pull the VCA card and check continuity again. Examine the VCA card edge connector carefully for excess solder blobs, and the underside of the VCA card itself. Make sure the card is sitting on a black plastic spacer when it's bolted down.

If there's no continuity, then with the S21 ribbon still pulled, check continuity between S21 pin 18 on the box header on the motherboard. Plug it back in. Carefully examine the multiplex card , and make sure it's properly aligned on its' standoffs.
Sounds like you're getting close.

Chris

oyanliz

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2018, 07:33:24 AM »
Hi all, hi Chris,

After achieve to this point, I start checking around VCA card slot and I found a lifted track around the "multiplex bypass" jumpers (I have attached a photo). The broken track is the one wich comes from pin 17 of the VCA card. This track must have conductivity with tha rear part track of the mother board (611), wich goes to the pin 18 of the S21 connector.

I have soldered the broken track to the rear track of the board using a cut capacitor leg. So it have been an easy repair.

The channel strip works perfect now!!!

Chris, very very thank you!! I would not fix the issue without your help!!

My very best regards!!

Oihan

Chris Simon

Re: VCA fader + cut not working **SOLVED**
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2018, 09:06:31 AM »
You're very welcome, Oihan.

Chris