Author Topic: solid state of the art VCAs for a whole 56ch desk :)  (Read 1669 times)

Konnektor

• London
    • SSL 4k automation to DAW interface
solid state of the art VCAs for a whole 56ch desk :)
« on: February 21, 2018, 10:01:56 PM »
hi guys,

i've got quite a few cool VCAs for sale
they were built for the G+ of a major London studio but sadly it closed down before we could put the update into effect

they're based on the THAT 2002 module which was (and still is) their newest design before SSL ceased production of the G series

as the THAT 2002 (which was £130 at the time) had become obsolete, these were built for my client and i also retrofitted my own desk with them
- 2x THAT 2181A chips in parallel (the pcbs are actually designed to take 2 more chips)
- Burr Brown OPA227P op amps
- two more resistors need to be fitted for desired control port gain

we did extensive a/b comparisons including the DBX 202 (black + gold cans) and the widespread SSL pcb with 8x THAT 2151 which was in my client's desk
this one was our clear favourite - great depth and huge low end, clearly noticeable even on a single channel, an obvious choice

if you're interested please get one or two first and make sure they fit your desk + bypass your centre section VCAs before listening
price is £85 per unit

this would be a fantasic update for a desk with 56 channels (including 8 units for the centre section)
of course i'd prefer to sell them all at once for a discounted price but don't wait too long - FIFO

there's also 20 unpopulated pcbs + quite a few other parts (op amps, resistors)
i also have about 400 of the high spec resistors left which are needed to expand to 4 chips
btw - we settled for 2 chips as noise was perfectly fine

« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 10:14:45 PM by Konnektor »