Author Topic: Metering Weirdness **SOLVED**  (Read 1315 times)

MarconeMusic

• Halomusic.ca
Metering Weirdness **SOLVED**
« on: March 23, 2018, 03:36:37 PM »
Hey All..

So, ive just had the luck of getting the Centre Section of my 4K recapped.. Sounds great. Louder and Clearer. He did a great job!

We tested most of the cards in his console, no issues. 

Back at my console now, I have a weird issue that we have to figure out.

Originally the console was re commissioned as is when I got it in from Doppler. Worked well enough to use right away and I wired it up N Went with it. Everything worked as expected.

Now that the recap is done, my audio output is still correct, meaning Left front audio outputs to left front, Right front outputs to Right front. Great.

My Meters tho... The console thinks that audio is outputting to Right front and Right Back. . .
I have plasma meters, Spectra mode now shows only the Right side of the audio spectrum. (because it thinks im outputting to RF and RB) so it shows RF spectra only.

If I change the output to the BACK buss, the master meters show audio being out put to LF and LB and I get Spectra on the LEFT side. Tho audio is not hitting the speakers, since my amps are connected to LF and RF.

So if thats confusing,

Review:
-Audio wiring and meter wiring have not changed since I set up the console.
-Audio output and metering in the past have always matched, showing LF and RF when audio passes to my speakers connected to LF and RF.
-Spectra mode always showed Left and Right when playing music through the mix buss, external input etc.

Now, after recap:
-Audio passes to speakers as expected.
-Meters are confused and now show metering at RF and RB when outputting to physical LF and RF. No matter what point i put tone or music.
-Meters now show metering at LF and LB when outputting to LB and RB. Same, no matter what point i put tone or music.

Only thing thats changed is new Caps. . .

We've tested the 26 cards, 25 card and the other master output card that has those brownish flat multi pin chips on it same as the 25 card. (dont remember the name of the card, 22 card maybe? )
Those cards were tested in another 4K and results are as expected in a normal working system.

Is there any one who knows a reason for something like this to end up backwards?

I've checked that meter card on the back of the patch bay, The little ribbon cables line up to the corresponding numbers. Seems correct.

Help? :)
« Last Edit: March 31, 2018, 06:02:42 PM by MarconeMusic »

MarconeMusic

• Halomusic.ca
Re: Metering Weirdness
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2018, 06:01:35 PM »
Solved it.

We looked over the 24 card and found a strange accident.

I’ll attach pics below.

A pair of caps were put in wrong. Luckily they were in a spot where it looked correct and allowed signal to change paths rather than blow things up. Haha

Basically, two caps that were supposed to be positioned positive left negative right and the second was positive right and negative left were put in so positive was up and negative was down  the other was positive down and negative up. Rotated 90degrees. Which took my signals and moved their paths!
Haha. So upon inspection they looked correct.
Took us looking at another 24 card to find the issue.

Matt Sartori

• Administrator
    • London
    • Solid State Logic Fanatics Database
Re: Metering Weirdness **SOLVED**
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2018, 10:18:16 PM »
well done on discovering this.

Matt

MarconeMusic

• Halomusic.ca
Re: Metering Weirdness **SOLVED**
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2018, 11:53:54 PM »
Thanks. We were scratching our heads for a few days.