Author Topic: FX and Echo Returns . . .  (Read 1735 times)

MarconeMusic

• Halomusic.ca
FX and Echo Returns . . .
« on: March 29, 2018, 11:57:56 PM »
Hi All

Curious, Since i've commissioned this console alone, i dont know exactly what the best way of using THIS particular console in the EFX world.
I knew my old consoles well.. this SSL is a new world for me. Wondering about the "best way" to set up for mixing/ease of use.

Echo Returns are for verb and delay returns... any advantage or disadvantage of using these for verbs and fx over a channel?

How are you guys wiring up your FX units, Returning them to Channels/Faders or are you guys using the Echo returns?

Is there any advantage of one over the other? Other than losing faders... any difference sonics wise?

Cheers!

Showcase

• Dreamix
Re: FX and Echo Returns . . .
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2018, 09:10:33 PM »
I never used them myself... no automation.. dont wanna stretch my back over the console to reach fx... no extra wide.. eq etc  :D

and generally have a hard time in my setup to get a grip of what is happening there, if you recall alot thats another issue
« Last Edit: March 31, 2018, 02:29:21 PM by Showcase »

jimlfixit

• Global Moderator
    • Maidenhead, Bucks, UK
Re: FX and Echo Returns . . . Some answers perhaps?
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2018, 11:43:51 PM »
Hi SSL dudes
In the early days when I worked at SSL (starting in 1980 till 87), I think the original concept was to have the efx returns brought back onto the centre section and just routed (without TR) to the stereo mix buss. This was the case when the consoles were 24-32 channels as standard back around 1980.
As time went on, and within a few years, the consoles got much larger (from 32 to 48 and even 72 channels) which meant that, with the extra channels, studio owners and engineers could afford the luxury of having efx returns routed back into channels, each with more eq, dynamics, and TR instead.
Therefore the efx return section of the centre section almost became redundant as it had limited facitllies.
I am doing some wiring for an Oram Pro24 console at the moment and the people involved have no idea about that same concept so, I have just positioned those centre section aux returns (fed from some efx outputs) onto a patchbay, so they can plug them into somewhere else if required.
Hope this makes some sense?
PS: I need to do some more wiring posts? Anyone with wiring problems which need addressing? Please post them in the wiring menu and I will address them (I look every week or so but contact me directly if it is urgent).
PPS: I don't have an SSL. Worked there for 7 years in the early days, bought one and broke it up to sell and have installed loads of them. And I am a drummer, so have experienced both sides of the glass (musician in a studio and a wiring installer)!

MarconeMusic

• Halomusic.ca
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2018, 07:54:57 PM »
Awesome info.. thanks man!

I've basically wired in my favourite FX to the Echo Returns and then can patch them over to a channel if needed or wanted. So best of both worlds. .  . :)

Clip6

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2018, 09:49:27 PM »
In mix mode you can have two inputs to small fader. Input one is group and input two is tape both will be at unity gain but that gives you two inputs to the small fader at the same time.

jimlfixit

• Global Moderator
    • Maidenhead, Bucks, UK
Effects returns to centre section or channels
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2018, 12:51:45 AM »
Hi all. SSL originally provided the effects returns on the centre section to go straight to the stereo mix when the consoles were 24-32 channels. Within a 3-4 years, the consoles became 40,48 to 64 or more (I worked there from 1980-87 so I know) so, more owners were using channels for their dedicated effects returns as they could use the eq and other channel functions such as noise gates.

Yes, best to use your favourite effects with the centre section returns and cross patch them into channels if you are short of channels but, that takes up up to 8 patchcords of course (4 x 2).