Author Topic: Plasma Meters and Joe Neil's Passing...  (Read 2297 times)

MarconeMusic

• Halomusic.ca
Plasma Meters and Joe Neil's Passing...
« on: March 31, 2018, 05:37:08 PM »
HI,

So. Ill start this by informing anyone who knew him, I found out last night, Joe Neil has passed away... I purchased his console end of last year. Sad such a cherished and great man is gone. I literally just recapped the console this week and found out last night that he passed the other night. . . :(

Now, on to the question.

Does anyone know the behaviour of plasmas when the slide is "Done"

I have tons of parts doppler gave us, so i want to refurbish the spare and slightly wacky plasmas i have.  I have a full console of working plasmas at the moment. I have a bunch in spares that are behaving erratically and i want to know if its due to the circuit boards, the glass slide or another reason.

The plasmas in question (which i have a few acting like this in my spares pile) is metering with a dot at the top of the meter, any amount of information that goes to it makes a quick spike to the top and then leaves a dot of plasma at the top.. Is this a result of :
A)not enough plasma in the glass and its just done
B)a circuit board making it display incorrectly
C)something else?

I just want to know what the path for fixing these is... if its the slide... i have a bunch but i dont wnat to get in to the NOS pile yet.

Just hoping to minimize my testing time.

I've already done the "pinch the connectors" trick" didnt fix..

Thanks everyone.

Subhumanrecords

• Keeping Analog Alive 2 Inches @ A Time !!
    • Nashville, TN USA
    • Subhumanaudiopro
Re: Plasma Meters and Joe Neil's Passing...
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2018, 11:19:10 PM »
HI,

So. Ill start this by informing anyone who knew him, I found out last night, Joe Neil has passed away... I purchased his console end of last year. Sad such a cherished and great man is gone. I literally just recapped the console this week and found out last night that he passed the other night. . . :(

Now, on to the question.

Does anyone know the behaviour of plasmas when the slide is "Done"

I have tons of parts doppler gave us, so i want to refurbish the spare and slightly wacky plasmas i have.  I have a full console of working plasmas at the moment. I have a bunch in spares that are behaving erratically and i want to know if its due to the circuit boards, the glass slide or another reason.

The plasmas in question (which i have a few acting like this in my spares pile) is metering with a dot at the top of the meter, any amount of information that goes to it makes a quick spike to the top and then leaves a dot of plasma at the top.. Is this a result of :
A)not enough plasma in the glass and its just done
B)a circuit board making it display incorrectly
C)something else?

I just want to know what the path for fixing these is... if its the slide... i have a bunch but i dont wnat to get in to the NOS pile yet.

Just hoping to minimize my testing time.

I've already done the "pinch the connectors" trick" didnt fix..

Thanks everyone.
This blows my mind of Joes passing, he and I are great buds, I’ve been trying to get ahold of him for awhile. Audio world will miss the best person known, for all his audio knowledge and passion for music. Life sucks knowing this. Thanks for posting this info, I’ll call his wife and see what the f..k happened. Didn’t realize he was sick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Keeping Analog Alive 2 Inches @ A Time !!(Plus PTHD)

pascal.verdet

• Nantes - FR
    • Workshop
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2018, 08:36:00 AM »
It's a sad news ...
It's a big loss for the world of audio, and DIY
May he rest in peace.
Pascal

wayne_kirkwood

• Website
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2018, 04:52:30 PM »
I commissioned your console in January 1986.

This thread is about Joe Neil's passing: http://www.proaudiodesignforum.com/forum/php/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=961#p11344

On page 2 there is a nice pic of Joe at his workbench. There's also a FB link in the thread for his Memorial page.

Wayne
« Last Edit: May 27, 2018, 04:54:15 PM by wayne_kirkwood »

MarconeMusic

• Halomusic.ca
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2018, 03:15:31 PM »
Thanks for posting this Wayne! Gave me a lot of great reading this morning!

Still working on consoles? Great hands are hard to find, i've had to learn all my gear as there arent many solid guys left!

Funny enough, the console got us an article in the newpaper, which led an engineer who worked at Doppler to find us. He had moved to Hamilton and fills us with great stories of how great Joe was and what an impression Joe left on him.  I had a similar mentor up here (Dan Achen) who had passed suddenly. Its hard.

Glad his memory will last in everyone!