Author Topic: Split point on SSL 4056 Frame  (Read 2490 times)

nycsudio1

• NYC
Split point on SSL 4056 Frame
« on: April 09, 2018, 04:32:06 AM »
Hello,

I saw a video here a while ago where an SSL was split near the center section for relocation. In that video, it showed that the crossbars separated right near to the center section. I tried to locate where the crossbars split on my console and it appears that they are one long piece each.

I need to split the console in order to relocate it but can't figure out how. I looked everywhere in the books and could not find any info related to the crossbars.

I appreciate any info on this matter.

Thanks.

perfectsnd

Re: Split point on SSL 4056 Frame
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2018, 05:35:32 AM »
I can't tell you how to split it, but they had to split mine to get it into my room. Norman Druce would know as he commissioned my desk.  He might be able to shine some light on it. 

I think they split mine at the right side of the center section. My patch bay is far right so that seem to make logical sense.  I now that it was a lot of work putting it back together as there are like a thousand bic connectors that have to get replugged in.

BTW, mine was 4056G.

-Joe

nycsudio1

• NYC
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2018, 11:19:29 PM »
Joe, Thanks for responding to the post.

I did speak with Norman Druce about having him commissioning the console and as soon as I am ready to install it, I will contact him when the time comes, but before that, I will have to move the console to the room and I will need to figure out how to split in half, otherwise it won't make it inside my building.

Splitting to the right of the center section sounds about right based on the documentation, but the crossbar on my console doesn't seem to have a split point.

Regards,

Louis

perfectsnd

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2018, 03:05:52 AM »
I remember there is the buss bar that goes the length of the console and they had to remove that or they split that and then Norman refastened it.

Without it being it being split there was no way they were getting it in my room.

nycsudio1

• NYC
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2018, 04:16:00 AM »
Understood. I am in the same situation, the thing is that I can't find a split point on the bar. I saw a video where the console splits in half with the bar in place, but I just can't figure out how on my board.

Frank Cross

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2018, 04:57:23 AM »
Sorry for the late reply to this, been busy with a bunch of things.

Long post coming.....

Normally, after 40 channels, the split point would be at the centre section. Once you add in more channels, extended patch bays and the optional producer rack the split point can be off by 16 channels. Here is what the split point looks like (find the attached image). It should stand out, but again I've seen this as far over as being between channels 8 - 9. On the last two 56 channel consoles I split, both with right handed patch bays, the split point was between channels 16 - 17.

Before you split the console, remove the panels on the bottom and back, channel strips, faders and meters, bumper and trim. Get some cups, keep all screws in order. Use the proper screw driver. If you need to remove the legs, you can do it the slow way with a wrench for those back bolts or remove the frame from the beams at the end and pull the legs.

You will have to cut a lot of zip ties.

To split the console is fairly simple. First, find the split point  ;D. Next, from the split point to your patch bay - everything stays. Lets say your split point is between channel 16 and 17. You will need to go under the console to where the black BICC connectors are (these run from the patch bay to the channels). Make sure each cable has clear labels as they can fade or wear off easy. If the labels are not clear, the location for each is written on the channel PCB where they are plugged in. Just label every wire for the 16 channels (in this example) before moving on. Next disconnect the bicc connectors and pull them out the back of the console.

Next remove the ribbon cables that run to each bucket of 8 channels, they should be labeled already and they are cut to length so no worries. Pull them out the back.

Next pull the ribbon cables that jump between the PCB's at the split point.

Next you need to remove the ground rod. Most larger consoles will also have a split point for the grounding rods. They are normally around the centre section. Remove the two screws at the split point for the rods. You must also remove the bolts along the grounding bar on the side you want to remove. The bolts hold a thick ground wire to each PCB. You will have one on each rod (2 rods) every 8 channels minimum. Remove the bolts, leave the wires hanging, pull out the 2 bars. For each bucket of 8 channels you will also find the ground bar's being held up by grey plastic blocks. You don't have to remove those, just loosen the screws if needed. Note, as I said before you may be lucky and the grounding split point is with the frame split point. If that is the case, no need to remove the bars, just split them and move on.

Misc wires - You may have other cables running to the producer bay (even if you don't have one). Maybe it was removed at some point or someone wanted to add one. You may find a plasma meter power cable or the SSL headphone 2U connector. Regardless of what you find, make notes of it and pull those cables out the back of the console.

Next you need to pull all the meter cables and get them out of the way. Normally those go with the BICC's when you pull those.

Nearing the end - at the split point you will find a number of stitching screws that run all around the frame, these hold the frame together at the split point. I don't recall exactly how many there are but you must get them all. Even one left behind will be enough to hold the frame together and make for a bad day for you. They are easy to strip, use the right driver and no power tools here.

Next you need to remove the 4 bolts (2 pairs of 2 bolts) at the bottom front and bottom rear of the frame at the split point. When you pull the stitching screws you will see these. They should be there but I have seen several consoles where they were missing. These bolts are also used at several points across the console to hold black L shaped brackets that attach the frame to the black support beams.

At this point you shouldn't have any cables crossing the split point, double check all the way around. All screws should be out. The only thing holding your console together is the support beams.

The last step is to flip the console onto it's back. Some tip the console onto dollies, some strap the dollies to the back then tip. I usually don't need to strap them down. Make sure there are no back plates on the console where your dollies are.

Remove the two bolts from the beams front and back. The console should split without much effort. It may require a good first jolt as it's been sitting for a long time. If it splits a little and gets stuck, stop and check for screws you missed. If it splits a few inches and gets stuck - check the ground rod (some consoles have the ground rod split point right at the consoles split point, make sure both rods are split or removed). Check for cables that you missed, they should be easy to see at this point.

If you need to remove the legs, this is the time.

All done, move your console into place.

When putting it back together you follow the same steps in reverse. The only advice I can give is when it comes to the alignment of the frame at the split point. The 4 beam bolts go back first and can be tightened. Flip the console. The 4 bolts for the frame shouldn't be locked down, you may have trouble putting them in at this point. Every stitching screw all the way around should line up and go back without any issues. If one won't line up or goes in on an angle, many more after will get worse and worse. Start in a easy spot and add the stitching screws but don't tighten them. This allows you to move the frame a little to get it just right. Once all the stitching screws are in, those 4 frame blots should just pop in without any problem. Tighten them all down and move onto the easy stuff.

If you should forget exactly how the cables go back, just look at the other side of the console and follow it. Add in new zip ties as you go across the back.

All done.

nycsudio1

• NYC
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2018, 06:44:22 AM »
Frank,

Thank you so much for taking the time to provide all this information.

I really appreciate it.

I will go to the storage where the console is and review the frame and see if I can find the split point in the cross bars.

I could not find any labeling for the black BICC connectors, so I guess I will need to label all of them in order to keep this organized, correct?

I will post an update once I complete this move.

Again, thanks a lot for the info.

Best,

Louis

Frank Cross

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2018, 09:34:11 AM »
The labels are white and are on the cables just before the BICC connector. You should have one per cable. They are dot matrix printed and fade over time. They can also wear off if handled a few times. It's well worth your time to make sure everything is well labeled before you unplug anything. On my 4064, every label for 32 channels were worn off by Pro Audio Design who decommissioned it. What a pain it is/was to meter every line from the patch bay.

Also if your console is all original, many of the ribbon cables used to use paper labels on the connectors. On my last 56 frame E series they just fell off with one touch. I always use a sharpie and write the connector location on the ribbon. On newer consoles with the connector location printed on the connector, I still label them. Easier to see a large S3 then to search and fight to see the top of the connector.

I see that you're in New York. Im just outside Toronto, about 8 hours from you. If you still haven't touched your console in 5 weeks or so, I have a 56 channel console that I will be decommissioning and moving. You're welcome to drive up here and I will teach you exactly how to split your console, as you will help split this one. Be warned, I put people to work,  ;).

Any other questions or concerns can all be answered while you're here.

jimlfixit

• Global Moderator
    • Maidenhead, Bucks, UK
Labelling on SSL consoles
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2018, 01:08:54 AM »
Hi Frank

Your comments on splitting a console will prove useful to people. I have split and also extended a few SSL's in my time.

Just for the record (and a bit of history):

I worked at SSL from 1980-87 and witnessed a lot of changes in that time (from 24-32 channel consoles as standard becoming 40-64 etc within 3 years). You may be right about the original blue T&B 50 way S14E ribbon connectors having paper labels (I can't actually remember!). After that, they used the grey 3M version and had the strain relief engraved (ie Faders 1-8 etc).

The Brandrex twin screen wire labels were originally Brady labels (L plus 48 for instance) but then, as you suggested, they then produced their own printed dot matrix versions (L48 in one label). All of these were vinyl cloth types and I have bought the remaining SSL Brady labels (2 boxes of them) plus 10,000 of write on ones which I use a marker pen for.

I will shortly mention these in the wiring menu (I am the wiring moderator) and also in the buy/sell menu.

On another note, SSL originally used BA screws and UNC taptite versions on the earlier consoles. I recall that the screws used to hold the different bays together were 6.32 countersink taptite versions and yes, use the correct screwdriver as there is a difference between the two which do look similar (pozidrive and superdrive ... here in the UK).

Hope all this makes sense and helps.

« Last Edit: April 24, 2018, 01:28:24 AM by jimlfixit »

brewery

• The Brewery
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2018, 09:47:44 AM »
just a couple things to add - most bigger consoles i came across from around 1988 onwards had split points.
splitting an older console is easy too, the buckets are lightly glued together and can be carefully pried open (after removing all the screws!)
it might be helpfull to cut the bottom cable tray open where the split is (ssl would put a screw-in plate there)
if you can, don't cut the buss bars. they can be pulled out all the way from the side. proper split bars had a staggered cut on them with screws to secure a good connection.

if you can't read the labels for the bicc connectors, peel them open. ssl printed them a few times over, and you'll find a clean print under all the dirt (genius!)
splitting next to the center, away form the patch side is easiest, because you won't have to deal with de-pinning the mrac connectors.