Author Topic: TR and Automation not working***SOLVED***  (Read 2615 times)

soundscope

TR and Automation not working***SOLVED***
« on: August 14, 2018, 05:58:27 PM »
Need help with this one. 

I am very comfortable with the analog and switching side of the audio portion of the console but am a bit in the dark when it comes to the computer.

Here is the status:

I have a 40 Channel console and all faders are connected to computer.  The VCA faders are currently jumped and are not fed to the computer.  The VCA to Meters mode shows that the channel VCAs are operating properly and audio passes without issue.  The Total Recall Maintenance page is set so the Channel Address switches are NOT in use.

The Computer boots normally, I can name a setup, play a setup, and use the channel fader status buttons to select a channel for Recall.  When a selected channel loads the recall data, the channel controls on the recall screen do not reflect current settings.  When the recall is created the correct control parameters are not stored.  Fader status lights work but do not show the correct fader positions for the recall.  There is one exception--fader 37 responds correctly on the stored recall and when the recall is played.  However, no other parameter is properly stored on Channel 37. 

When using the automation all bargraphs are full and do not respond to the faders.  Again, the exception being Fader 37--this fader responds normally and the bargraph follows the fader position.  No other fader responds to the automation.

I deleted and reconfigured the Console fader options, rebooted the computer, and entered test mode.

I looked at Analog input test and confirmed that only fader 37 is sending appropriate data and all other Bargraph levels are full and not responding.  I looked at the Total Recall Test and the only channel that displays changes in data is Channel 37.  When the fader is moved in this display you can see ALL parameters change (0-60 and 61-120).  I noticed as well that Channel 37 shows ALL parameters fully to the right when playing a setup. 

Summing up--All fader status switches work and select the correct channels on a recall.  Fader 37 sends and receives data from the computer when using the automation.  Fader 37 status lights reflect the correct fader position saved in a recall.  All other parameters are not stored or read in a recall, all other faders do not respond appropriately in recall or a mix.

Any helpful insights would be appreciated.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2018, 05:56:36 AM by soundscope »

jimlfixit

• Global Moderator
    • Maidenhead, Bucks, UK
Re: TR and Automation not working
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2018, 09:12:00 PM »
Hi Daniel

Thanks for your question and you have just emailed me directly about this.

Unfortunately, I can't really help as I am not a technical person although I know lots about the actual wiring on SSL's (especially 4 and 6k's) as I worked there from 1980-87 in the earlier days!

Good luck finding an answer to this and if you need any console or studio wiring made in the future, feel free to contact me.

« Last Edit: August 15, 2018, 12:07:21 AM by jimlfixit »

sintech

• Global Moderator
    • Bristol, UK
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2018, 11:22:33 PM »
So, if the VCA faders are jumped, the computer will never work correctly as it communicates for auto and TR via the VCA fader connections. Are you saying that jumping them rules out anything but the computer?

soundscope

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2018, 02:26:42 PM »
Sintech,

All channel VCAs are connected to the computer--only the 8 VCAs group faders in the center section are bypassed and are not cabled to the computer.  The TR multiplexer in the center section is cabled to the computer as well as all other 50 way IDC connectors from each bucket of channel VCAs.

sintech

• Global Moderator
    • Bristol, UK
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2018, 03:44:03 PM »
I'd check the Total recall bus driver (88 card) first of all.. look for any burnt resistors, if it's a G with a large keyboard, this circuit is integrated in to the keyboard PCB

soundscope

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2018, 05:49:08 AM »
I only have a schematic for the 2323 card--seems a newer version of the 88 card.  It is close but is not quite the same.  Do you have the schematic for the 88 card?  If not I can look past the differences.

All resistors test okay.  All transistor switches test okay.  Seems +5 not getting from S31 to pin 1 of the Uarts.  It may be a problem with S83 which is a 20-way link from S31 to the 88 card.  First I will check what S31 is actually carrying to the console from the computer--specifically the +5 feed on pin 50 and the Mux enable on pin 48. 

I first thought the +5 volts should come from the 44 card (keyboard and VDU/interface card) in the Computer cage on bottom row edge connector 13/14.  Hard to tell from the schematic if the 48 card (console keyboard interface in center section) derives its own +5 from S31 pin 1--T3 (keyboard processor on 48 card) certainly does via a 7805.

It seems that the +5 on S31 pin 50 actually originates from the 90 card (TR VID INT).  The 90 card sends +5 volts to S81 pin 10,19, and 20.  S81 connects to S31 by way of the 40 connector panel on the computer cage.  I believe that S31 pin50 is solely to supply the anode of the Uarts at pin 1.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2018, 06:40:34 AM by soundscope »

soundscope

Re: TR and Automation not working--SOLVED
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2018, 05:56:13 AM »
UPDATE AND SUMMARY:

This issue has been solved.  The usual bits to check would be the 88 Card--TR driver on the backside of the console keyboard.  All of the components test fine.  Commence head scratching....

I did some digging in the computer manual and confirmed that the +5volts sent to the 88 card originates on the 90 card (TR VIDEO INTERFACE) and is only transferred to the S31 ribbon (connecting the computer cage to the computer keyboard) on the 40 card (IDC connector panel on the inside of the computer cage).  Someone had removed S31 from the 40 card and connected S31 directly to the 44 card (keyboard card).  Seems fine enough at first blush--the 40 card as far as S31 is concerned seems only to be a pass-through.  In fact the keyboard will work and all appears normal--but the +5volt from the TR VID IN card will not get to the 88 card. 

The 40 card was damaged on the S31 passthrough and I believe that someone bent a number of pins when removing S31 or possibly opening the card cage and thought to simply connect S31 directly to the 44 card.  Pins were carefully bent back into position on the 40 card for the S31 connections.  The S31 cable itself was tested as well as confirmed for connectivity between the 90 card and S31 for transfer of +5volts. 

Happy to report that the TR and automation systems are fully operational.

Special thanks to Keith Skerrett for insights and his vast knowledge of these desks.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2018, 06:04:03 AM by soundscope »