Author Topic: SSL Patchbay and MRAC Wiring Question  (Read 1603 times)

Forrhouse

• United States
SSL Patchbay and MRAC Wiring Question
« on: January 29, 2019, 05:14:58 AM »
Can Somebody tell me what the gauge of the wire is that is used in the factory SSL Patchbays that come with the console and what gauge the wire is that is used in the MRACS plugs.

Lastly, I want to wire my MRACS which had been cut to go from the MRAC connectors at the center section to 156pin DL Connectors.
Does anyone see any problem with this as far as wire gauge goes or anything else?

Thanks,
Eric

jimlfixit

• Global Moderator
    • Maidenhead, Bucks, UK
Re: SSL Patchbay and MRAC Wiring Question
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2019, 03:13:55 AM »
Hi Forrhouse
Just seen your post so, sorry about the delay in replying.

SSL generally used Brandrex twin screen cable in their consoles which was 7/0.2 (7 strands of 0.2sq mm). This is the black balanced cable which later became OFC (Oxygen Free Copper). This was used for all their patchbays and signal wiring including patchbays and 104 way MRAC connectors.

As you probably know, SSL used 96 way ITT DL connectors for their installation connections. If your two 651 centre section MRAC connections have been cut, I would suggest using 96 way DL's or perhaps some 56 way Edac connectors instead of a larger 156 way DL which is very expensive and rarely used apart from industrial purposes these days.

A 96 way DL would almost house all the wiring on a 104 way MRAC and 2 x 56 way Edacs would certainly be able to fit 2 x 16 balanced circuits from the 651 quite easily.

Hope this helps from Jim Lassen (wiring moderator on this forum).