Author Topic: 651 (and 688 rack) centre section removal for servicing work.  (Read 1788 times)

jimlfixit

• Global Moderator
    • Maidenhead, Bucks, UK
Hi people

Just seen a post about working on the 651 with some switch problem so I thought I would post a new topic on this but bear in mind I am going back a few decades since I did this so my memory may not be as sharp as it once was. The same thing applies to the 688 rack on the 6K console I think.

Unscrew the 4 x 4BA x 5/16th black countersunk screws holding the 651 in place. Use your 2BA module pullers (if you have them) to screw into the front panel and pull it up vertically from the frame until it clips into position and doesn't fall down. Place some bubble wrap or cardboard over the channels or other centre section panels on the right hand side (looking from the front) so you can position the 651 on there, on its side.

With the 651 positioned about 8" out of the frame, you will see the two vertical sliders at the top and bottom. By using two people, you will be able to press into part of the sliders in order to lift it completely out of the console with the cables still connected.

Lift it up and position it onto the cardboard or bubblewrap so you can access the inside of it and work on it without undoing all the cables and taking it to another location to work on.

Hope this helps and makes sense.

Clip6

Re: 651 (and 688 rack) centre section removal for servicing work.
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2019, 04:12:07 PM »
Thanks Jim.