Author Topic: An example of a 4K DL32 wiring  (Read 4289 times)

jimlfixit

• Global Moderator
    • Maidenhead, Bucks, UK
An example of a 4K DL32 wiring
« on: July 13, 2019, 12:52:05 AM »
One example of an SSL DL 32 loom (Stereo 1-5 record and replays) I recently made for a client in Greece (Ilias, who I think is on here).

This one uses a 16 pair Van Damme cable to/from a 96 way DL and having 2 lots of XLR’s, 1 lot of balanced jacks and the last 4 circuits used for unbalanced Phono (RCA) replays only.

They are all split at the end, twisted for 2m and rubber sleeved near the ends which can be moved back if required.

The labelling is the patchbay references (ie M25, N31 etc). There is no point labelling a wire with a description of a make of equipment on it as there is no reference back to a patchbay jack position.

Bear in mind that, when you wire these 5 stereo records out to equipment, the SSL patchbay is linked between all 5 so, if one of those items of equipment is unbalanced, the WHOLE lot will be as well.

If you want one of these made, I can do it and have most of the parts in stock so, get in contact (profcon@btinternet.com).

Check out my Facebook site (shown below) for more examples of my wiring work.

When you view the picture, click the IMG description, rather than the picture, otherwise it will appear too big when you view it.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2019, 10:48:36 PM by jimlfixit »

horizonsound

• Melbourne, Australia
    • Horizon Sound
Re: An example of a 4K DL32 wiring
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2019, 03:54:45 AM »
Beautiful work Jim,

What do you use for cable labelling?
I've never done it before (no need to), but have a couple of MRACs to wire up from scratch, which could get messy otherwise.

Anthony.

jimlfixit

• Global Moderator
    • Maidenhead, Bucks, UK
4K DL32 wiring: Response to Horizonsound
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2019, 09:59:29 PM »
Hi Anthony
Thank you for your kind comment regarding my DL 32 example. There are more examples to post shortly which I have completed now.

The yellow labels I use for DL's and 25 way D's are produced on my computer using Excel software (along with patchbay labels). I will do another post on this shortly as it needs attention but is easily sorted.

Anyway, the individual circuit labels I used for this are the Brady WM vinyl cloth label which SSL used to use many years ago. I bought all their stock when they changed to their own version using a dot matrix printer to print out M35 (for instance) in one label as opposed to 3 labels (M+3+5).

The cable shown is Van Damme Blue series which is common in the UK but less so elsewhere. This loom is done just as twisted pairs etc without any extra sheathing. Everyone has a budget and I could have completed this with extra sheathing but it was more of a cheaper version as defined by the client's cost constraints. This should be fine and by twisting individual circuits together, it makes the circuits more rigid but still flexible.

MRAC cables (2 x 104 way's ... M1 and 2) have cables to and from the 651 and they mainly go to and from the patchbay. MRAC parts seem hard to find but I think they are Amphenol connectors.

Someone on here will have MRAC pinouts (I have some) but, if you have loose MRAC looms, they need documenting so you can re-connect them to the patchbay, DL connectors or elsewhere.

Let me know if you need any wiring constructed and check out my wiring FB page as shown below.

jimlfixit

• Global Moderator
    • Maidenhead, Bucks, UK
MRAC wiring from scratch
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2019, 10:16:02 PM »
Hi Anthony

Further to my last post, send me some pictures of your MRAC wiring and any documentation so I can advise a bit. (profcon@btinternet.com).

I won't spend long on this as time is money (literally need to pay the rent) but can possibly quickly advise and we can all learn a bit more. I think I know already but it would be interesting to see some close up pictures with details.

horizonsound

• Melbourne, Australia
    • Horizon Sound
Re: An example of a 4K DL32 wiring
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2019, 11:34:15 PM »
Hey Jim,

Once again, excellent information on the wire labelling!! Van Damme is not as widely used in Australia, and seems to be mainly Mogami or Canare. I personally prefer the Mogami for multipin connectors due to having a bit more flexibility. The current system I have is all on EDAC 90/56 connectors, which was so much fun to wire up (/sarcasm). I'll be keeping all of the EDAC system, and converting the DLs as needed.

My 651 is only about to get loaded on to a boat (with a whole lot of other parts), not arriving here until September. Such is now the anxious waiting with seafreight.
So, there is a lot of time to do some research and work all this out.

The existing 4000G service manual details the pinout of the MRACs, and it's very detailed in that it give the pin number, function, and row where it terminates on the patchbay, etc..Hopefully it is easy to work out, but I will be taking a lot of photos / video during this process for everyone to look at.

The grounding of this seems a dark art, as it appears only hot and cold are terminated at the patchbay, like the BICC connectors on the bucket motherboards.

I'll need to talk to you about getting some patchbays and parts, after all this arrives and I can take stock of what I need.

Anthony.

jimlfixit

• Global Moderator
    • Maidenhead, Bucks, UK
Mogami cable, Mrac pinouts and SSL grounding
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2019, 01:23:07 PM »
Hi Franz

Thanks for your response again. Mogami cable is very flexible as it doesn't use an overall foil screen but takes longer to wire as you have to cut off the surplus overlapped screen. As someone above mentioned, it may be an idea to fold the screen wire in the DL crimp as it is so small in diameter. Normal DL crimps suit 24-26 gauge wire but there others (which I have) that are for 28-32 gauge. Trouble is, they need a different crimp tool. I have the normal crimps here as well if you need some and I supply them to many companies and studios as well as use them for looms I am constructing. I also have loads of 56 way Edacs and backshells if you need them.

I have some MRAC documentation for both the 4 and 6K consoles. Just need to find some missing pages!

I have spent a load of time investigating the SSL grounding system and know all about it. Not many people realise that the SSL grounds everything that goes into and out of it via the DL 96 way connectors. I will post something about this as a separate post later (I have already and it is listed in a technical post) but basically all the internal SSL wiring is grounded on the 6 way Bicc connectors which then link to one of the copper bars and head out towards the earthing bolt on the connector panel.

These same internal wires do not have their screens wired to the patchbay jacks as a result, as they are already grounded at the Bicc end. The 651 cable screens are not connected at the patchbay for the same reason as they connected via the 651 ground cable which is also linked to the same analog copper bar as the channel signals from the upper busscard.

All the external DL's, whether mics, multitrack, listen mics, echos or user option continue their screens to the patchbay, which is screwed into the frame and a green wire also connects these screens to the end grounding block, near the same earthing bolt (0BA or M6 ... same difference).

So, the SSL could screen everything plugged into it. From the SSL, the main screening bolt 50/0.25 big yellow/green cable could go to the SSL computer. If you don't have a computer, the SSL 661 power supply would take the screens to your studio AC power socket, via it's plug lead. There is also an internal link in the power supply which may need to be changed if you use a computer or not.

Hope this helps a bit, even though it may seem complicated. Good luck and may hear from you soon.

jimlfixit

• Global Moderator
    • Maidenhead, Bucks, UK
Wiring an Mrac from scratch
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2019, 10:45:48 PM »
Hi Anthony
If you are wiring MRAC connectors from scratch as you state, I hope you are wiring the wires from the patchbay to the two Mracs, as opposed to the other way round.
Always wire from the largest area to the smallest one (patchbay to Mracs or DL's etc) otherwise you will encounter various looming problems.