Author Topic: 4032E Build  (Read 38081 times)

jimlfixit

• Global Moderator
    • Maidenhead, Bucks, UK
Re: 4032E Build: ITT Bicc crimps
« Reply #75 on: December 30, 2019, 01:26:52 AM »
Hi Anthony
I don't know about anyone else but I can't see any of your pictures again as the image is just a blank box with an image of a broken file or picture in it. Try using a different method to upload the pictures (from a different device?).

As regards the ITT Bicc Trident connectors that SSL used for their consoles, here is a link to the website so you can see the technical details.

http://www.farnell.com/datasheets/1694739.pdf

I have had a quick look through the PDF and the relevant connectors that SSL used are on the following pages:

1   Rectangular: Pages 9-13
2   Round: Pages 26-33 and 35
3   Crimps: 64 (the crimp type and NOT the stamped type which you may wish to use as a solder type version ... but I would NOT recommend this as it creates a rigid joint and could break).
4   Tools: 74

Farnell/Newark and RS Components supply most of these, if these companies make sense for those of you outside of the UK.

I will try to explain the various connectors and crimps in detail as a separate topic elsewhere on this forum when I have time and hope this helps for now.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2019, 01:47:10 AM by jimlfixit »

horizonsound

• Melbourne, Australia
    • Horizon Sound
Re: 4032E Build
« Reply #76 on: January 03, 2020, 08:42:31 PM »
Hi Jim,

Thanks for the info. All the ITT connectors arrived and I have completed the cables and PSU, and fired up the computer for the first time.

A few bugs to sort out first - needed to install isolating standoffs on the Keyboard/VDU card due to shorting (common problem).
I'm still working on obtaining an 8" program disk from someone to be able to boot it, but so far it appears to be following the correct startup process, and sits on the "garbage" screen.

Andy H has a few good videos on youtube showing the boot up sequencing.

Jim - I've checked the picture links from other computers whilst not logged on to either the forum, or facebook, and they all work. Would be good if another forum member can confirm they are all working as they should.

« Last Edit: January 08, 2020, 06:51:03 AM by horizonsound »

walrus

• London, UK.
« Reply #77 on: January 03, 2020, 11:11:09 PM »
Pictures work for me on PC and Mac and Ipad.
Kevin.

jimlfixit

• Global Moderator
    • Maidenhead, Bucks, UK
Re: 4032E Build Pictures
« Reply #78 on: January 04, 2020, 12:05:08 PM »
Hi Anthony
I still can't see any of your pictures and I use a Mac. I saw some from before but even they are broken now although I can see the pictures from other people but just not yours! Frustrating and maybe it's a 'me and machines thing'.
Any suggestions from others would be handy to know. May be I will access this site from a different computer and see what happens.

horizonsound

• Melbourne, Australia
    • Horizon Sound
« Reply #79 on: January 04, 2020, 07:59:03 PM »
Thanks Jim
I'll need to look for another host site for the pictures, as the early ones are now having "link expired" errors from facebook and are disappearing.
Anything but photobucket, which is a PITA!

Anthony.

radardoug2

• New Zealand
« Reply #80 on: January 04, 2020, 08:39:07 PM »
I see some pictures there and some gone, no pattern to it.

jimlfixit

• Global Moderator
    • Maidenhead, Bucks, UK
Re: 4032E Build: Pictures
« Reply #81 on: January 05, 2020, 11:23:43 AM »
Hi Anthony again

Putting your pictures on Photobucket may explain why they go missing. I thought you just attached them on here which is what most people do I think. Try that and see if it works although a hacker got into this site a few years ago and all the pictures were broken. After that Matt took steps to safeguard the site I believe so it should be alright now!

As a result, I need to spend some time trying to find the same pictures from my iPhoto file and put them back on my posts on here but it will take some time.

horizonsound

• Melbourne, Australia
    • Horizon Sound
« Reply #82 on: January 05, 2020, 07:34:46 PM »
Hi Jim
I've moved the photos to my wix site and the first three pages of this 4032E thread are moved.
Can you check now.
Anthony.

radardoug2

• New Zealand
« Reply #83 on: January 05, 2020, 08:34:39 PM »
I see pictures on page 1! Didn't check further.

horizonsound

• Melbourne, Australia
    • Horizon Sound
« Reply #84 on: January 08, 2020, 06:51:31 AM »
All photos links have now been fixed.
Hope that works for you Jim!

jimlfixit

• Global Moderator
    • Maidenhead, Bucks, UK
Re: 4032E Build: Pictures
« Reply #85 on: January 15, 2020, 02:07:31 AM »
Hi Anthony
I thought I had replied to this but obviously not.

Yes, I have had a look through some of your posts and can now see all the pictures, some of which existed before and then didn't until now.

I will have another look at them and comment when I have time. Well done sorting them out so we can view them again.

horizonsound

• Melbourne, Australia
    • Horizon Sound
« Reply #86 on: January 27, 2020, 05:14:33 AM »
It's been a busy week doing a lot of little enhancements to the console.

All the 50way IDC internal wiring has been done for the computer.

I'm anxiously waiting on the 8" program disk, which should let me know if the computer is functional or not.
So far when it powers up it seems like all is OK, then sits on the 100Hz and Run A leds. This I understand is when it is waiting to load the program disk(?)

Here's a little progress :

Found the last bucket and bus cards locally. And a TR Bus Driver card. Thanks Simon!

Meter Distribution Card installed. Aux / Cue meter panel is in transit. Thanks Damir!

50 way IDC, SMPTE, Mini TV, Tape Machine connection panel.

RGB to VGA converter installed. The remote voltage display is hooked to the power supply sense, as I don't have an active sense return to the computer PSU. Roughly a 0.5v drop from the PSU to the computer.

RGB to VGA card. Powered off the computer PSU 5v.

Mini TV, ready for action.

A blowout on the echo returns board. Not my fault this time!!

horizonsound

• Melbourne, Australia
    • Horizon Sound
« Reply #87 on: January 29, 2020, 07:20:15 AM »
The 8" Program disks finally arrived.

All I can say is that I am a very happy person today!!!!!

After a few attempts to start, it booted up. Now to find some spare 8" reel discs.

https://youtu.be/nJrNC9OGGOQ

Matt Sartori

• Administrator
    • London
    • Solid State Logic Fanatics Database
« Reply #88 on: January 31, 2020, 12:14:38 PM »
I am following this thread very closely...I love it!
Well done on all your hard work and thank you for contributing with  so much information!

Matt Sartori

horizonsound

• Melbourne, Australia
    • Horizon Sound
« Reply #89 on: February 01, 2020, 09:17:10 AM »
I am following this thread very closely...I love it!
Well done on all your hard work and thank you for contributing with  so much information!

Matt Sartori

Thanks Matt, It's been a real adventure so far.

Today I picked up some IBM formatted 8" discs. By absolute chance there is someone 20mins from my house that has a museum of old computers from the 70's, and something like 20+ 8" drives. He was able to pre-format all the disks to IBM for me.

After a little lubrication and adjustment of the Reel drive, it's now fully up and working!

Tomorrow will be spent doing the last of the wiring and hooking up the SMPTE / Machine control to the Otari MTR 90 II. Then to test out some mix automation.

Anthony.

Video of full boot-up sequence with 8" drives opened up.
https://youtu.be/tAVs-Hps1s0