Author Topic: 4032E Build  (Read 38580 times)

horizonsound

• Melbourne, Australia
    • Horizon Sound
Re: 4032E Build
« Reply #105 on: February 25, 2020, 08:17:46 AM »
Hi Damir,

I’m using a SCSI2SDv5.1 which states it can run at 1.1 to 2.6MB/s.

The “SASI interface not ready” error is appearing, even when the SCSI2SD is disconnected from the 50 way IDC.

Anthony

Clip6

« Reply #106 on: February 25, 2020, 04:22:46 PM »
Glad to see you taking on the job of getting an sd card reader solution.

One company will even take your boot disk and load it on the sd ram for you.

If you can add an sd to a Fairlight series II it must be possible for us.

Thanks for being here. The 3.5 drives are not special either other than scsi with id set pins.

horizonsound

• Melbourne, Australia
    • Horizon Sound
« Reply #107 on: February 26, 2020, 07:41:43 AM »
Yes, I'm motivated to get this working, though am not sure if I have an inherent issue with the SASI controller on the processor board.

If anyone else has a 4100A processor and could verify, by enabling the 20MB Cartridge option in the setup, then disconnecting the Bernoulli drive (or perhaps you don't even have one), if the "SASI interface not responding" error appears on start up.

I need to determine if the non-response error is due to the emulator not responding, or if there is a problem with my processor.

To verify the processor, I'm hoping to get a hold of a Bernoulli drive as well, just for testing.

Anthony.

waltzingbear

• Portland, Oregon
    • Waltzing Bear Audio
« Reply #108 on: February 26, 2020, 07:50:39 PM »
masochist
Alan Garren
Waltzing Bear Audio

radardoug2

• New Zealand
« Reply #109 on: February 28, 2020, 02:15:35 AM »
Cruel Allen! Hehe! Someone has to do it!
Theres a lot of stuff on the web about SASI being very close to SCSI.
See this post
https://retrocomputing.stackexchange.com/questions/10900/was-the-ancestor-of-scsi-the-sasi-protocol-nothing-more-than-a-draft
Also, SCSI is generally very picky about termination, so make sure you have the bus terminated.

horizonsound

• Melbourne, Australia
    • Horizon Sound
« Reply #110 on: February 28, 2020, 11:19:41 AM »
We'll at this point, I'm seeing absolutely no activity on my SCSI port on the processor board (using a data scanner), so either there is a problem on the board, with the cable, or with the emulator. It's not an ideal start.
I will not be defeated however...

Does anyone at all have any kind of documentation for the 4100 processor board?
Does it even exist, or was it kept private due to CA manufacturing the boards, and not SSL?

Anthony.

horizonsound

• Melbourne, Australia
    • Horizon Sound
« Reply #111 on: March 23, 2020, 04:38:56 AM »
Trying to keep my mind off other things.....

Last week I've picked up 10 more E modules, and have 24 VU meters being shipped - should they ever arrive....

Had a problem with the computer where 6 hours in to a session, the VDU went on the fritz. It was quite hot in the control room having the console, computer, and 2" machine running. I had to shut the computer down after a few attempts of restarting did not fix it. In the morning it worked correctly and is back to normal.
The computer was running and responding to commands perfectly, just with garbage all over the screen. TR worked fine as well.

I'm assuming this is the MM2102AN Video Memory, on the Keyboard and VDU card? 8 chips of 1024 bytes each?

Anthony.

« Last Edit: April 29, 2020, 11:10:37 AM by horizonsound »

horizonsound

• Melbourne, Australia
    • Horizon Sound
« Reply #112 on: April 25, 2020, 10:01:00 AM »
It's been a while since I've updated how things are going with the console.
Being locked in for the last 7 weeks, has allowed me to get a fair bit done, apart from one day spent down with Simon Stav, going over his console and picking up spare parts!

Added 10 more channels (thanks to Simon)!
Multiplex cards now installed on all channels.
E55 meter distribution card installed - ditched the G series one.
Phase meter.
Second LCD screen to show status indication (Solo, Dim, Studio LS, Listen Mic).
Got the last 24 VUs stuck in Detroit until USPS starts operating again.

Console as of today

Phase meter, and status LCD

Phase meter card recapping

Multiplex card standoffs being 3D printed

Developing the status LCD. This runs off the S56E status cable. Converts the +11/+18v logic back down to +5/0v through a reed relay.
Once again, the core is an ATMEGA328P

oyanliz

« Reply #113 on: April 26, 2020, 12:01:28 AM »
You are a genius Anthony!

Amazing job!

Regards.

Oihan

jimlfixit

• Global Moderator
    • Maidenhead, Bucks, UK
« Reply #114 on: April 26, 2020, 01:47:25 AM »
Hi Anthony
I like the console pictures with the frame covered in wood as opposed to black SSL material as this always looks better and more appealing in my opinion.
Also, I admire the way you have re-created the offset spacers for the 03 (?) Total Recall card via 3D printing. SSL did these in a hurry when various things changed due to the change in pots from Sfernice (the white versions) to the blue Clarostat types in the early 1980's and the screws used for all the cards secured to the 611 Motherboard were M3 (normally M3x10 pozi pan I think but some were M3x6mm PP). These screws cut their own thread into these plastic or nylon spacers as far as I am aware.
Good luck with your console build and I will post some more wiring info shortly in a new topic as I have found loads more info after having a sort out here.

horizonsound

• Melbourne, Australia
    • Horizon Sound
« Reply #115 on: April 26, 2020, 02:10:13 AM »
Thanks Jim!

Yes!, those spacers have been made with a Ř2.8mm hole, which allows an M3x6mm to cut it's own thread, and avoid more BA screws  ::)
They come very close to Cue 4 pot, so care needs to be taken on installation.
I found that when the multiplexer has not been installed for a long time, the S21E 20 way header pins get very oxidised. This carries the main VCA signal to and from the computer and 013 Card, along with +18/-18v. On a number of occasions it was so bad that it required moderate cleaning with Dexoit.

Very happy with the way the Tasmanian Oak trims came out. This was my first attempt at using a biscuit joiner, to create the large end panels. Always a risk when the raw timber itself is quite expensive.

Anthony.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2020, 02:12:03 AM by horizonsound »

Matt Sartori

• Administrator
    • London
    • Solid State Logic Fanatics Database
« Reply #116 on: April 27, 2020, 11:57:50 AM »
Thanks Jim!

Yes!, those spacers have been made with a Ř2.8mm hole, which allows an M3x6mm to cut it's own thread, and avoid more BA screws  ::)
They come very close to Cue 4 pot, so care needs to be taken on installation.
I found that when the multiplexer has not been installed for a long time, the S21E 20 way header pins get very oxidised. This carries the main VCA signal to and from the computer and 013 Card, along with +18/-18v. On a number of occasions it was so bad that it required moderate cleaning with Dexoit.

Very happy with the way the Tasmanian Oak trims came out. This was my first attempt at using a biscuit joiner, to create the large end panels. Always a risk when the raw timber itself is quite expensive.

Anthony.

I have a tone of those stand offs for sale 3D printed as well :-)

horizonsound

• Melbourne, Australia
    • Horizon Sound
« Reply #117 on: July 08, 2020, 11:51:08 AM »
Hello all.

It has been a very long wait due to covid related postal delays, but after almost 4 months, the last of my VUs arrived.
These 24 are fitted with the Recycled Audio LED illumination. One is non-functional at the moment, and I plan to upgrade the other ones to match.
Now only needing 6x 611E modules, and 6 VCA faders, and it's all complete.

I was looking forward to my first session in a long while this weekend, but our state has tonight gone in to a 6 week full lockdown and we've had to cancel this, and all subsequent ones.  :(

Matt Sartori

• Administrator
    • London
    • Solid State Logic Fanatics Database
« Reply #118 on: July 08, 2020, 09:02:50 PM »
ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS!

horizonsound

• Melbourne, Australia
    • Horizon Sound
Re: 4032E Build - 8 Inch Drive Emulator
« Reply #119 on: August 18, 2020, 10:03:23 AM »
FYI, I have had success in an 8 inch drive emulator to USB!

More info soon, but it is working flawlessly, so I am super excited tonight!!!

Anthony.