Author Topic: 4032E Build  (Read 38633 times)

horizonsound

• Melbourne, Australia
    • Horizon Sound
Re: 4032E Build
« Reply #135 on: September 22, 2020, 11:05:50 AM »
FYI, the below appears to be with the 2102 memory chips.

I switched them for the ones on the VDU card in the TR stack, and the problem seems to have gone.

Anthony

horizonsound

• Melbourne, Australia
    • Horizon Sound
« Reply #136 on: October 03, 2020, 10:13:02 PM »
Hi All,

Finally I have the remaining modules in the console. These last six (1-6) are SL611V modules, and were in relatively good shape on arrival.
Still have a few things to go including picking up the last six faders, fixing the LED situation, and a couple of multiplex boards.
At this point, it is at "practical completion". What a last 12 months it has been.

Anthony.

oyanliz

« Reply #137 on: October 04, 2020, 08:13:52 AM »
Amazing!

Good Job!

It is very kind of you sharing all these info with us!

Enjoy your SSL!!

Oihan

ULH

• Copenhagen Denmark
    • Frostbox Recording Studio
« Reply #138 on: October 19, 2020, 10:25:12 AM »
Anthony could you upload the config and image files needed to try this on a 3.5 system. Thanks

Think Roy might give this a go.

Hi Anthony

I am also very interested in this. What Gotek model did you use? There seem to be a few different ones. Also would you share the wiring?

Very impressed with all the little gadgets you make up to help keep our SSLs well supported in the future. Great job!

Cheers,
Uffe

RoyMixer

• NYC
    • Roy Hendrickson, Mixer/Engineer/Producer
« Reply #139 on: October 25, 2020, 05:26:03 PM »
Beautiful looking SSL  nice work!

pascal.verdet

• Nantes - FR
    • Workshop
« Reply #140 on: November 06, 2020, 11:27:58 AM »
Hi Anthony,
I'm looking on GoteK site...
What model / reference did you use ?
Thanks,
Cheers,
Pascal

horizonsound

• Melbourne, Australia
    • Horizon Sound
« Reply #141 on: November 08, 2020, 09:56:10 AM »
They are all the same. It is the config file and disk image files you set up on your USB stick, that defines what drive, and disk type, it emulates.

horizonsound

• Melbourne, Australia
    • Horizon Sound
« Reply #142 on: January 05, 2021, 11:32:22 PM »
Have hooked up the Otari MTR-90II to the record contacts, thanks to acquiring an interface box made by George Gilbert for UB40's studio.
Needed some funky wiring on the cable, but go it sorted out.
Though the remote is still in the loop, when arming a track the machine record light illuminates and goes in to the ready state. The remote does not reflect that though.
I'd ditch the remote completely if it were not having to switch manually between the Sel/Rep, and Playback heads. Something to work on later, as I believe the SSL can switch this automatically when either in Rec/Replay mode, or Mix mode.

Task to complete now are installing the final TR multiplex cards, continuing the recap, VU lamps, LED lamps for switches....and I'm working on something else quite exciting...

Anthony.

Interface box

DL41 Cable

New project  8)

ULH

• Copenhagen Denmark
    • Frostbox Recording Studio
« Reply #143 on: January 07, 2021, 06:37:03 AM »
Always very interesting post from you anthony!

Yes our studer a80 24trk is fully controlled by the ssl g+ with ssl g cpu (very nice workflow / integration) so it should be doable. But is the sync/repro/inputs serial only or also parallel control on these modern japanese machines?

S14e and 8x adc/dac gives it away - very excited to see how and how far you take this. Was the abandonned sslmixed computer XK System details ever published anywhere? Maybe you should contact Arthur and Steve again to see if you can use some of their work and take it to the finish line. I have been thinking about undertaking such a project before but I am uncertain if there is a viable space in the market alongside Tangerine. I would say that it needs to be very open source since that is the only way these kinds of niche projects can survive. CLASP and XK ssl computer comes to mind as examples that could be kept alive if they were open sourced.

Best regards,
Uffe

horizonsound

• Melbourne, Australia
    • Horizon Sound
« Reply #144 on: January 07, 2021, 08:37:17 AM »
Thanks Uffe,

You guessed it correct. I’m thinking a basic 0-5v VCA to MIDI converter will be easy, so it effectively is a MIDI controller, with the DAW MIDI out being converted back to 0-5v. All automation would be in the DAW, but driving the SSL VCAs.

Been doing a lot of research on the SSL computer. It is effectively an "off the shelf" Computer Automation Naked Mini 4, with the input, output, lights & switches etc peripheral cards done by SSL.

Anthony.

horizonsound

• Melbourne, Australia
    • Horizon Sound
« Reply #145 on: January 08, 2021, 07:07:44 AM »
Perhaps I should start a new thread for this...

Spent a lot of time learning how the Mackie Control works with midi messages / track volumes.
Snooping around, I've had some success getting VCA levels through to midi and in to the DAW.

Ideally all I'm looking to do is have the DAW record the fader moves, then play them back in to the SSL VCAs.

There is still along way to go here, but....

https://youtu.be/Oeuceq1OGX8

oyanliz

« Reply #146 on: January 10, 2021, 07:27:16 PM »
Anthony, your skills, have me amazed!!
🙌🙌🙌🙌

Thanks for posting all the interesting things you do!!

Regards!

Oihan

radardoug2

• New Zealand
« Reply #147 on: January 10, 2021, 07:39:47 PM »
Kudos to you Anthony, some fine work there. The SSL computer is an old dinosaur, and by todays standards primitive, but if it still works, it does the job.

horizonsound

• Melbourne, Australia
    • Horizon Sound
« Reply #148 on: January 10, 2021, 08:57:34 PM »
The SSL workflow is new to me, but I really love it, and how it integrates into the control of the tape machine.
Most of the time I'm tracking to tape, then transferring it to computer for playback, whilst using the SSL computer for automation.
For me, it's bought back the enjoyment in mixing, rather than solely staring in to a computer and being chained to a keyboard / mouse all day long.

Had some great success on my SSL Mini Computer. Managed to get a block of 8 channels writing automation to the DAW. Took a lot of time to calibrate the SSL 0-5v fader, to the midi pitch-bend value (used for track volume in an MCU), but found a really neat way to do it with remapping analog input values. Also worked out how the bank shifts work.

Next job is to create multiple 8 channel blocks, and have them talking via a master micro controller to the DAW. This way I can build up an automation system dependant on how many buckets in the console. It's slow progress, but progress none the less.

Anthony.

horizonsound

• Melbourne, Australia
    • Horizon Sound
« Reply #149 on: February 26, 2021, 08:23:53 PM »
Little update here.

It's switch and re-cap time...

Lot's of fun replacing the module input section switches with Alps, having to wire to the leg of the switch before inserting in to the board!

I considered it easier to remake the routing boards with the correct Alps switch footprint on them, and transplant the EDAC pins over. This is what I believe Recycled Audio does. Takes a bit of time though. Now, repeat for 250 boards....

Below - the new board is in the middle. Original Alps at the top, and old isostat board bottom of pic - with EDAC pins removed.