Author Topic: SSL 4K psu's and machine room's Clima  (Read 2300 times)

gollito

SSL 4K psu's and machine room's Clima
« on: August 21, 2019, 12:31:40 AM »
Hi this is my first post.
First i would like to say... well done Matt for this forum! 8)

Next month i'm waitin' a special version SL4040G,
and me with my tech guys, we are preparing now the machine room for the rack (psu's ect).

I noticed from pictures that every PSU (our desk has two 661 and one change over unit) has 6 holes with fans (3 left,3 right). My question based in a common sense that says that if every fan is exporting the heat from the psu interior, and we can collecting all this heat with a custom ventilation pipes,

Is this a better way to move away the standing heat from the psu, so the air conditioner can do the job easier for the machine room's inside? And what is the proper celsius for the machine room ?

Thank you, guys!

Best
George  ;)
« Last Edit: August 21, 2019, 12:35:53 AM by gollito »

Clip6

Re: SSL 4K psu's and machine room's Clima
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2019, 01:00:25 AM »
Awesome. 4040 can run on one supple easy.

gollito

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2019, 09:26:39 AM »
Hi Clip6, thanks for the reply.!

Yes i read this about the one power supply , but i think that its better to follow the manufacture's instructions. There is no big difference with the power consumption, if i remember well, if i'm using only one psu. Because the second is on standby.. until it needs to start working if the first one fails.. is it true;!?!;

Clip6

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2019, 04:10:25 PM »
You could save the changeover and use the other supply as a spare. I had an ex-SSL guy tell me you could even run a 4048 on one supply.

Some of the other smarter guys might chime in.

I run a 4040 on one supply.

Good times ahead.

waltzingbear

• Portland, Oregon
    • Waltzing Bear Audio
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2019, 07:00:25 PM »
and of course the best option is to replace the original supply with a modern switching supply, save money on monthly bills, less noise (mechanical and electrical) and for sure only one needed.

Cheers and good luck with your install
Alan
Alan Garren
Waltzing Bear Audio

gollito

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2019, 09:20:34 PM »
and of course the best option is to replace the original supply with a modern switching supply, save money on monthly bills, less noise (mechanical and electrical) and for sure only one needed.

Cheers and good luck with your install
Alan

Thanks Alan! Yeap .. atomic i think is my next upgrade, but now the supplies are in super condition.

gollito

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2019, 09:31:19 PM »
You could save the changeover and use the other supply as a spare. I had an ex-SSL guy tell me you could even run a 4048 on one supply.

Some of the other smarter guys might chime in.

I run a 4040 on one supply.

Good times ahead.

Thanks Clip6!  If i remember well the guy who sold me this 4040G+ told me that there is no big difference in the power consumption if i use only one PSU instead of Two PSU. I know that only one is enough for this console... I think that the total consumption with two PSU's, max is
 about 8-9 Amps or 2.070 watts per hour... Ouch! haha