Tech discussion > Wiring

SSL DL wiring pinouts

(1/3) > >>

jimlfixit:
Amended 01 February 2013: DL blank pinout added as attachment

If anyone needs some help with SSL DL 96 way wiring pinouts, I have shown two on my website under the Documentation menu (the sub menu is SSL documentation ...Check out http://www.profcon.co.uk/page19.htm). One is a blank for your own use and the other one is a typical example of DL33 which has the amps, echo sends, returns and other functions also shown below. I haven't shown the patch jack references (ie L 19) for now as your console may be different but, you can see your patch idents to hopefully identify the DL pinouts.

Also, I have shown a typical example of DL 33 below and a blank DL plug in the attachment section below.

In the early 80's, the consoles were mainly 24, 32 or perhaps even 40 channel frames. The pinouts changed quite a lot later on due to the consoles getting larger as well as SSL bringing out the 6K which mostly affected the centre section DL's (DL's 31, 32 and 33). Earlier on, a 56 channel console (rare in the earlier 80's) could have had the first 24 mic input circuits on, say DL 01 and circuits 25-56 on DL 02. Later on, SSL changed to having 1-32 on DL01 and 33-56 on DL 02. When consoles became even larger, DL 02 was 33-64 and DL 03 was created having circuits 65-96. The same pinout planning applies to all the other channel connections such as DL11, 12, 21, 22, 41 and 42. The user option patchbays were always a bit vague as some of the spare jack positions on the centre section patchbays (mostly R/S from memory) could have been wired as 16 circuits, or so, on separate DL's. You can spot most of these quite easily by looking at how many pins are inserted within each connector. If the DL is fully loaded, it would have 32 balanced circuits wired. If half loaded, it will have 24 circuits.

Also, I have seen examples of user option patchbays being added to a console with both the top and bottom row of jacks being wired into the same DL (maybe 16 inputs and 16 outputs thus creating a fully loaded DL. To the best of my knowledge, SSL NEVER did this and always wired the top and bottom patchbay jacks to separate DL's. Finally, notice the SSL patchbay labelling. After G/H, the next patch was J/K and not I/J. Similarly, they didn't have O/P but used N/P instead. They tried to avoid the letter/number confusion with I or 1 and O or 0. Hope this helps someone at some time!

I created this example below on Excel, converted it to PDF and then as a Jpeg to show here via Photobucket.

waltzingbear:
just installed a 4040 that had row R/S divided into two DLs for 1-24 (R=DL51 and S=DL52) and DL 53 was rows R&S 25-38, the rest being board functions.

this was a later vintage board made for Japan and it was wired this way from SSL (have original docs)

Alan

jimlfixit:
Hi, your post just shows how different the SSL DL wiring pinouts were. I'm currently involved in an SSL studio with a 40 channel G console (wired for 48 inputs!). DL's 51 (R7 - 28) and 52 (S1 - 28) on this console have 22 and 28 circuits respectively from patchbay R/S (the extra 6 cct 1 -6 on DL 52 were for the local aux sends).

If your DL 53 had 28 circuits from both R and S rows, that was quite unusual on the same DL. Japanese consoles were always very different especially regarding the centre section but the patch should have remained as standard. I would imagine that the SSL functions on the rest of your R/S patchbay were mostly connected with SMPTE.

I'm about to show more posts on this forum relating to DL wiring and how to identify the DL pinouts and their connection to the patchbay so watch out for these from me under this menu.

I am now on FACEBOOK so check out the link for other SSL related items and wiring services. Select the photos, click the albums and view a photo for more information.

Regards all from Jim Lassen (www.profcon.co.uk). Email me direct at prof.conATvirgin.net (substitute @ for AT to avoid spam).

madmuso:
Hey Jim,

I have been given the task of having to connect a total of 48 xlr sockets from 3 live room stage boxes to DL sockets to feed the "mic line" patchrow on the 6048e. Problem is, as I have mentioned in the 6048e thread, we are missing some documentation so I dont know where to start.

I have had a look at your diagram below and can see that each numbered channel on the DL has 3 associated inputs/connections labelled A, B and C.

My questions are:
1)  Does this mean that XLR pins 1, 2 and 3 go to A, B and C?
2) If so in which order?
3) Does one DL socket carry 32 channels TO the console, or does it carry 16 to and 16 back? IF the latter then I will need to use 3 DL's to get 48 mic signals to the console.

hope my questions are making sense, my limited knowledge on this is making it difficult!

thanks,

kilmister:
Hi.

I attached connector wiring info sheet witch shows typical DL connections. You have at least 2 DL connectors carrying total of 48 mic lines. My guess is DL01 has first 24 lines (1-24) and DL02 has second 24 lines (25-48) but you might want to confirm that.

XLR pins are connected as follow, when refered to Jims picture.
A  (red) -> Pin 2 (+)
B (blue) -> Pin 3 (-)
C (green) -> Pin 1 (SCR)

-Paavo

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version