Author Topic: Insanity SSL Build  (Read 4357 times)

Frank Cross

Insanity SSL Build
« on: September 20, 2019, 05:43:42 AM »
I've been collecting SSL parts for some time and it's gotten to a point that I need to do something or I may lose my mind.

I just cut down a 6056 into a 6032 so with that up and out of here I now have this massive space available.

I have a fully restored 4048 (from 4064) with ulitmation up in the studio.

So I have several options. I have 148 channels of frame available, a complete 56 channel console core wiring. I have two 4k centre sections that are in total write off condition. No spare cards for the two CS's. I have several VU panels but I'm missing the CS and Cue VU panel. Worst part, I don't have any patchbays (I just found one row, not wired).

I have 16x spare 4k ultimation channels or 32x 6k channels to select from.

What I'm thinking of doing is adding in one patchbay frame section in the middle with blank panels to hold the monitor and keyboard (I once seen a picture of this and it's a great idea). I can go with 16 channels with ultimation or 32 modified channels with standard TR.

What makes this a mission is that any missing cards, boards, or additional frame parts, VU's will all be made. I will make new CS cards for this build and I'm thinking of going with new color LED VU's. I had done a test on a SSL9000K using color VU's in place of stock and it looked great. My ultimation computer is in use but if I go that route I will make new ultimation boards for the spare TR computer.

I want to take this console into a whole new direction. I've been talking about adding in new EQ's, mic pres and dynamics for ages but just didn't feel like getting to it. I'm the tech for the Air Montserrat Neve - George Martin console in Toronto and I've already successfully replicated the consoles remote pres using all original parts. I have the Air EQ's as well that can be integrated. One thing to note for those that have not seen the inside of the Air Neve's is that they are the only vintage Neve's to use 5534's. Once you take the transformers out of the picture, the Air consoles are fairly similar to our SSL's.

Other rare scraps would be a fully working pair of Focusrite Forte EQ/Dynamic cards (from the original Forte console). Maybe replicate those and add them in. I also have 40x API 512 kits available.

I don't know exactly which way to go with this but I'm getting everything out of storage for some pictures.

Matt Sartori

• Administrator
    • London
    • Solid State Logic Fanatics Database
Re: Insanity SSL Build
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2019, 10:30:49 AM »
Frank this sound like some hell of a plan!  8) very bold very ambitious !!!!
LOVE IT!

looking forward to see pictures!

Matt

Frank Cross

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2019, 04:25:51 AM »
So I pulled out the two CS's I have. They are in better shape than I remembered. I bought them for switches but they both could be fixed up and made to work. One is a 4k, the other is a 6k.

I know where I can grab the other 6k CS add-on but I don't know if it's worth the extra work to get that one up and going. The only cool factor I can see is that I have 32 spare channels that are fully recapped and tested.

I'm leaning towards the 16ch 4k with ultimation. I would have a right hand patch bay, left hand producer rack, one bucket of 8 channels on each side of the centre. I'm leaning more towards taking two 8ch frame sections and cutting them to make one large section for the monitor/keyboard in the centre. I would like the console to be equal length on both sides of the centre which is the hard part since the CS frame tosses one side off. Maybe cut down the CS frame in half, a 4ch section would hold the 651 and the other would hold the monitor and E series keyboard for TR. I could place the 651 to the right of the keyboard, TR on the left then the channels.

Going with ultimation means that I need to make the extra computer cards, power supply(s), and interface it to the console.

Tonemiester

• Denver
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2019, 04:56:40 PM »
Frank,
You wouldn't happen to have a spare 8 channel meter bank that you would want to part with do you?

Thanks,

Mike

Frank Cross

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2019, 06:19:17 AM »
I have the following:

A-H E Series
33-40 E Series
41-48 E Series
A-H G Series
I-P G Series

I may keep the G's for now to test signal of the new console. LED meters will come near the end.

I have new boards already done for both E and G series meters. The PCB's also have the 15 pin Neve edge connector, allowing one to use a wide variety of meters on our SSl's or vintage Neve's. I will grab a picture of the boards tomorrow.

Do you have anything to trade? I could use some centre section cards.

Tonemiester

• Denver
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2019, 08:57:40 PM »
Unfortunately, I don't have anything to trade. I would be interested in the A-H E series. I assume it is a panel with meters mounted?

Thanks,

Mike

Frank Cross

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2019, 03:20:52 AM »
Panel, meters with matching scribble strip and the channel number bar that sits right under the VU panel.

I'm really starting to lean more towards a decked out 16ch 4k with ultimation over the 6k. I might toss the 32 channels of 6k up for sale and let them go.

Clip6

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2019, 04:27:13 AM »
Hey Frank. Please post pics of that. Will you be selling these on Ebay?

Tonemiester

• Denver
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2019, 03:46:51 PM »
Yes, please post pictures of what you want to get rid of.

Thanks much!

Mike

Frank Cross

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2019, 03:43:04 AM »
Here are some pictures. My 6k channels are sitting up in the studio so the light isn't the best there. Once I get the new frame in place I will store the spare channels in the spare frames I have. All 6k channels have been recapped in February and they are using the LED's from recycled audio UK. All have been tested with no issues. Bus matrix switches are as is - I won't swap another bus switch after I did the 4080 and a 4064.

Turns out I have enough frame for two consoles. The frame rails I have setup right now support a normal patchbay, producer rack and 32 channels. The second set could do 32ch without the producers rack. For the main frame I'm short on my grand idea to use two 8 channel frames and make an extended producers rack in the middle of the console. So what I need to do is use the rail extenders. I have some left over frame rail from the 56 down to 32 so I can get the extra 8 channels from that. I can move the one leg over to make it look more uniform.

I've decided to go a little off the deep end and make a frame that has (from the left), producer rack, channels 1-8, 4ch frame with E series computer screen and keyboard, 16 channels of empty frame modified to hold the keyboard, monitor and mouse for protools. Then 4ch frame for the centre section, channels 9-16, patchbay. I may change my mind and swap the 4ch sections so its rack, computer, channels, keyboard, channels, CS, patchbay. But that layout is for sure the direction I'm going.

I added a picture of VU cards for E and G series consoles. They are 100% identical to what we have now, I only added in the vintage Neve 15 pin edge connector and the option for different power supplies. Neve's use 24v usually and +/-15v.

Tonemiester

• Denver
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2019, 04:13:14 PM »
I am interested in the A-H meter bank. You can reach me off list at: mmtrimble@gmail.com.

Thanks!

Frank Cross

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2019, 04:54:22 AM »
I ended up grabbing some new frame bolts for the legs as I can't find my stock of original ones. They are M12-1.75 x100mm. I scooped some with a different type head and they hit the frame. Swapped those with the exact ones used and they worked out to be $12 CND for 8 over at Fastenal.

Seems I'm missing the producer rack frame. I have the spare for the patchbay and a lot of 8 channel buckets but no 12 channel frames left. If anyone has a spare, let me know. It can be broken down and shipped cheap or all I really need is the cross bars and I can use the sides that I have.

For the modified centre frame, I may draw out what I want and take it over to a metal shop who can cut the sides clean. If I do it myself it won't be perfect but I can run a thin strip of padding under the cut frame to the new metal top and no one would be the wiser. For the shape, I was thinking of having a slight incline from the start of the channel strip and stop about 3-4 inches from the meters then up on an angle. That would create a really nice wide work space to hold a fairly large monitor.

To make the 4 channel frame, I plan to use a small band saw with a metal blade. In order to make it work I need a thin cut and it has to be perfectly straight. Once the cross bars are cut in half I was thinking of tapping them using a common screw found over at home depot.

I'm leaning towards having the CS and recall computer on each side of the centre so you can glance over from the monitor and see the main meters. Rather than having 8 channels first then the CS.

I will take pictures when the real work begins.

One question for the community. Does anyone know where I can find a 12 step rotary switch that is also a push/pull? I would like to make a new mic pre for this project if such a switch can be found. I want to keep the original and add in the new one. Use the push pull to select new and original pre. The new pre is remote and uses the XLR line from the console to control the level of the pre on the floor. If no such switch can be found I may use the phantom switch on the console to select. Since we're using the XLR line for level control you can't send phantom. Phantom is added at the pre on the floor. If I used the phantom switch, then to add 48v, you would have to flip the switch on the floor for both pre's. That isn't a big deal since someone has to go into the other room to swap the mic, so hit the switch before you leave if you need it.

jakemurray

• London
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2020, 10:16:57 AM »
Massive project, this is nuts.

Keep us updated!

Frank Cross

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2020, 05:51:20 AM »
I've not forgotten about this project. I was thinking of doing the frame first but I would rather wait for a nice warm day which isn't too far away now.

What has been taking most of my time, other than family, is a new mic pre. I'm going to take what's in the image included and add it to the SSL. I could just make outboard gear but why bother when we have space to add it internally.

In the image is the bulk of the Air Montserrat console's input chain. For now I'm focused on the remote pre and we can revisit the EQ in the future. I have a crude prototype which is working fine, no mods to the channel strip needed. Plug in the new card and place the pre in the live floor. Current console mic pre switch controls the pre without any additional wires to the floor.

I also have plans to modify the output stage of the SSL.

simonstav

• Melbourne Australia
    • Simon Stavenuiter Audio Production
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2020, 12:51:29 AM »
Hey Frank

What centre section cards are you after, I have various ones here.