Author Topic: New and better Monitoring Level Control  (Read 1469 times)

BLZProductions

New and better Monitoring Level Control
« on: August 13, 2020, 09:29:35 AM »
Hi

I'm in the process of coming up with a better monitor control system for the E/G series.

This has been triggered by the wearing out of the main monitor control on the 4K at the studio I do work for.
I've seen this happen on a few desks, and it can be swapped for a 2 deck DACT switched attenuator, which is near enough £300 once you add shipping etc., but you're still left with the shortcomings of the original system.

The original main monitor control is nice and accurate, but as soon as you switch to Mini, or use Dim, that goes out of the window due to the poor tolerances on the pots, especially L/R balance, so I thought why not tackle these issues as well in one elegant solution.

I'm probably looking at a relay based approach for all three controls (Main, Mini, and Dim), which is easy enough. Trims/offsets can also be added quite easily by this method for each set of monitors, so that only one volume "control" is needed (The Mini control becoming a trim)
Then I also got to thinking about the rear monitor outputs... Does anyone use them, and if so under what circumstances??

If they're not used (generally), maybe the card could be modded to give you access to the Alt monitors without having to rely on an external switch box.

Would love to hear everyone's thoughts on this.
Feature creep could become a problem  ;)

B

amillar

• United Kingdom
Re: New and better Monitoring Level Control
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2020, 09:36:57 AM »
Feature creep could become a problem  ;)
Errr...yes  ;D But sounds fun. And totally agree that one master control and trims for other monitors makes sense. I'll watch with interest and let you know if I have any ideas. And if you want to drop any circuit ideas past me for a (quick) second look feel free.

Cheers,

Andy
« Last Edit: August 13, 2020, 09:39:07 AM by amillar »
co-designer and project manager G series analogue 1987
channel strip designer J series 1992-93
design "caretaker" 4000/6000 1985-93
analogue team leader ARC/Bertha 1988-92