Author Topic: SSL 4K Center Section wiring  (Read 3002 times)

Loopzilla5

• NYC
    • My Page Of Love
SSL 4K Center Section wiring
« on: August 17, 2020, 03:01:04 AM »
Hi all,

The gray wiring in my center section is disintegrating. Hot and cold wire insulation is turning to dust inside the gray sleeves and causing problems, especially if the wires get moved around when working on other things. Heaven forbid I bump anything when pulling a center-section card. It's time to replace it all. Not fun.

Mogami multipair singles are too thick and bunch up differently than the smaller gauge factory wires. Does anyone have an idea about replacement center-section wiring?

BLZProductions

Re: SSL 4K Center Section wiring
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2020, 01:34:41 PM »
What about the Van Damme reduced OD console stuff?

That's about 2.7mm total diameter.

Is that any better than the Mogami?

B

jimlfixit

• Global Moderator
    • Maidenhead, Bucks, UK
Re: SSL 4K Center Section wiring
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2020, 07:24:46 PM »
Yes, I remember that grey single and twin screen wiring in the SSL 651 centre section as I worked there at the time (1980-87).
The grey cable was an unknown make but probably bought from RS Components then.
Since then, many more makes and types have been available including Mogami, Van Damme etc so, as a long time installer and wiring person since 1987, I would suggest Van Damme as a default, depending on which Country you live in. It is popular in the UK but other makes are used in other Countries in Europe and the USA etc.
Hope this helps a bit and rewiring any part of the 651 centre section is a complicated task, especially if you have to re-pin any wires into the two Mrac connectors.
As a wiring person, this would be easy for me but, good luck with this task.