Author Topic: Water pouring into an SSL 4000 G+  (Read 1551 times)

radiotech96

• Barbados
Water pouring into an SSL 4000 G+
« on: January 23, 2021, 09:20:58 PM »
Has anyone ever had any major water leak from the ceiling pouring water into their SSL 4000 series console? What was the damage caused? What work was required to get it all cleaned and back in service? What needed to be repaired or replaced? What was the damage like? Were you able to get it repaired and working again?

I had a situation recently where fresh water from an AC unit poured into several channels of my SSL 4064 G+ console for days, if not weeks. Thankfully the console was powered off completely at that time. I dried it out and put WD-40 into the channel buss cards and faders. I am now looking to clean it thoroughly, reassemble and test it, and I wonder if anyone else on this forum has had such an issue, and how you dealt with it.

I look forward to hearing you stories.

Thanks.

radardoug2

• New Zealand
Re: Water pouring into an SSL 4000 G+
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2021, 11:38:48 PM »
The major problem is that the water probably wasnt that clean. And so will contaminate parts.
Also if water sat there for a while, things can corrode.
WD40 is BAD! Dont use it. Clean with meths, which will absorb water, and then evaporate.
Use in a well ventilated area.
Once you get everything dry, faults will probably develop.
Then you just have to fix them as they come up.
Were you insured? The insurance companies have people they can call on for a cleanup job.

mjlaudio

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2021, 03:34:28 AM »
I had this happen to my console, ac pan overflowed and dripped on to channel strips, only for about 10-20, min at most. I didn't have many issues in the area of the dripping, but I did have an issue where all the moisture got sucked to the little wire runs on the back of the cards. The heat shrink attracted the moisture, all my eqs were motorboating......and my center section was messed up.....i replaced all the heat shrink with water resistant stuff, cleaned all the cards.

The g+ might not have this issue, my console is an e series

WiktorTRS

• mazowieckie
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2021, 12:05:14 PM »
It's a shame but I have that situation too...
I have window over the console and there was a leak. The water did not infiltrate much but it was enough for logic to go crazy.
I took out all the modules from flooded bucket. Water was inside upper edge connector on the mainframe board. I use air compressor...
And paper towel... a lot of...
You MUST dry thoroughly everything. And do nothing more.
Don't forget to unscrew bottom plate underneath the console. Water stays there for sure!
After all console works perfect. Only I have remorse for allowing this to happen...
Hope your console will be fine!
Cheers!
Wiktor

waltzingbear

• Portland, Oregon
    • Waltzing Bear Audio
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2021, 01:36:26 AM »
the most useful tool is a dehydrator. That and a fan to move the air around. a wet vac for the floor is nice too.

If the water was unknown cleanliness before it got into the board, then flush with fresh water.
Alan Garren
Waltzing Bear Audio