Author Topic: 9000J Computer Boot Issue  (Read 7981 times)

bambambam

• Architekt Music
9000J Computer Boot Issue
« on: November 02, 2012, 02:12:42 AM »
Hey all,

Coming off of a rough week here in the NYC area...hope everyone is safe and your equipment has experienced minimal down time and damage.

We came in today to freshly-restored power and turned on the desk. Whenever we start the desk after significant (more than 2 hours) downtime, the console computer seems to have some significant issues booting up.  The center section remains unlit, the automation doesn't load and the LED indication bar with time code, clock, etc. doesn't load. We go through restart after reset after restart until we finally get lucky and the computer boots successfully. I reset the CPU card today as well, but that didn't seem to affect it...as the boot remained troublesome after the card reset. Once it's on, the computer is totally fine and operates normally without issue. It seems like booting is the main concern...which scares the hell out of me.

We know that it's not a power supply issue as we refreshed the supply within the past two years...and as I said, once it boots, we're good to go.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Many thanks!
George Roskos
Owner/Studio Manager
Architekt Music

Matt Sartori

• Administrator
    • London
    • Solid State Logic Fanatics Database
Re: 9000J Computer Boot Issue
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2012, 02:30:31 PM »
Hi George,
I read this post several time and it always sounds like a dodgy connection or software issue.
I don't have experience with the J series but I clearly remember that the 9064K I was used to work on had something similar if the Black Burst generator (or one of the BNCs) were not connected properly.
the system would KIND Of boot up but you had to try a couple of times to get it going.

my first attempt would be to:

-check all the connections (also network cable between CPU and centre section!) (connect a scope at the BNC cable end before the main CPU and verify that BB is good and healthy,try and wiggle the cable to find any intermittency)
-check that the PSU rails are ok (does not matter when you refurbished last, I had Coutant Lambda failing after 3 weeks operation)
-make sure the system supervisor is happy with all the voltages
-load the software again (but do a copy of the one you have FIRST!)

it's an intermittent fault so it sounds like dodgy connection to me.....
Mattia.

bambambam

• Architekt Music
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2012, 04:43:05 AM »
Thanks Mattia! I'm gonna start moving on some of your suggestions.

Best,
George
George Roskos
Owner/Studio Manager
Architekt Music

Matt Sartori

• Administrator
    • London
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2012, 03:29:37 PM »

Best,
George

Good Luck with that, it's gonna require calm and precise movements, not to skip any passage.
intermittent stuff and "half faults" are the worst ones to get fixed!

on a side note: yesterday I spent 2h on an API console trying to sort out where a crackle was coming in from...it was a channel funny enough...and it was coming through the stereo buss even with all channel faders down and MUTEs on....

Mattia.

Matt Sartori

• Administrator
    • London
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2013, 09:01:55 AM »
Hey all,

Coming off of a rough week here in the NYC area...hope everyone is safe and your equipment has experienced minimal down time and damage.

We came in today to freshly-restored power and turned on the desk. Whenever we start the desk after significant (more than 2 hours) downtime, the console computer seems to have some significant issues booting up.  The center section remains unlit, the automation doesn't load and the LED indication bar with time code, clock, etc. doesn't load. We go through restart after reset after restart until we finally get lucky and the computer boots successfully. I reset the CPU card today as well, but that didn't seem to affect it...as the boot remained troublesome after the card reset. Once it's on, the computer is totally fine and operates normally without issue. It seems like booting is the main concern...which scares the hell out of me.

We know that it's not a power supply issue as we refreshed the supply within the past two years...and as I said, once it boots, we're good to go.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Many thanks!

Any news on this?how is it going?

Mattia

bambambam

• Architekt Music
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2013, 10:06:02 PM »
It was a bad power supply! We replaced that and the computer is booting now witthout issue.
George Roskos
Owner/Studio Manager
Architekt Music

elshiftos

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2013, 11:00:44 AM »

Best,
George

Good Luck with that, it's gonna require calm and precise movements, not to skip any passage.
intermittent stuff and "half faults" are the worst ones to get fixed!

on a side note: yesterday I spent 2h on an API console trying to sort out where a crackle was coming in from...it was a channel funny enough...and it was coming through the stereo buss even with all channel faders down and MUTEs on....

Mattia.

Not as funny as the tiime I was called in to investigate a crackling stereo bus. Turned out that someone had left a H3000 on the 'Vinyl crackle' preset plugged into an echo return!  ;)

Good news on the console repair - the J/K's can be a real pain sometimes, and an expensive one at that.