Author Topic: X-desk  (Read 5651 times)

sintech

• Global Moderator
    • Bristol, UK
X-desk
« on: November 27, 2012, 08:37:38 AM »
Up nice and early, I've been lucky to have two 'SSL Delivery' day's in the past, extreme excitement mixed with hopes and fears.

Today is the third.. an SSL X-Desk bought on eBay, to act as a sidecar for the 4024.

No idea how it's going to sound, having only seen a YouTube demo, fingers crossed  :)

sintech

• Global Moderator
    • Bristol, UK
Re: X-desk
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2012, 08:41:52 PM »

Sounds superb and holds well against the 4k. :o

Maybe a little cleaner, but it's intended for FX returns, so very happy  8)

It obviously doesn't have the robust build quality, but it's ok for the price point.

Matt Sartori

• Administrator
    • London
    • Solid State Logic Fanatics Database
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2012, 12:16:31 AM »
picture of guts would be good.
me thinks  ;D

Mattia.

sintech

• Global Moderator
    • Bristol, UK
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2012, 01:37:51 AM »
picture of guts would be good.
me thinks  ;D

Mattia.

Hehehe!!! that may be a bad idea ;-) heheheh

Helterbelter

• Zevenaar, The Netherlands
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2015, 03:32:26 PM »
I have a funny tale to tell regarding the X-desk......

a friend of mine works in a shop entirely dedicated to musicstudios and composers. They sell consoles, studio outboard, microphones, recorders, monitors, and recording software. They also offer keyboards/synthesizers, but only expensive stuff, focussed on arrangers and composers. You won't find any guitarstrings, tableture books or such stuff. You also won't find low budget stuff here : all they offer is hi-grade, sometimes even esoteric stuff.

Years ago, they ordered an SSL AWS for a client. The client made the needed advance-payment that SSL demands before they start assembling. After a while, the AWS was ready to ship, so, SSL asked for the remaining payment.
At that time, the client told the shop he didn't want to proceed, and, he wanted the advance payment back.  A whole lot of trouble came to the surface. On one side, the client wanted back the downpayment, and on the other side, SSL wanted to have the remaining payment. In the end, the owner of the shop paid it all, and they got stuck with an SSL AWS. a few years later they finally sold the AWS.

During those 2 years, they had the SSL in their shop, and they used it so clients could check 19" audio equipment, and, for switching several nearfield monitors so clients could A/B these.
When they sold the AWS, they used one of the other consoles they had in the shop for A/Bing the nearfields and checking the 19" stuff. But.... for some reason, they felt the sound was less....... full range, or less precise.... they again put in another console..... the same problem.
They tried all their consoles, and they only have professional mixing console in the shop (like Audient, upper range Soundtracs, DDA DCM, etc), but none of the consoles sounded as good as the AWS.

In the end they bought the X desk solely for this purpose, and this solved the problem.

The X-desk looks like a Phonic/Behringer/Samson thingy, but it's definately not.