Author Topic: SSL 96 way DL CONNECTORS AVAILABLE  (Read 3629 times)

jimlfixit

• Global Moderator
    • Maidenhead, Bucks, UK
SSL 96 way DL CONNECTORS AVAILABLE
« on: July 20, 2012, 12:03:22 AM »
Most people buying a used SSL console will have the problem of connecting the analog signals to the studio environment, mostly via 96 way DL connectors. Some made up looms, whether new (very expensive) or used (which may not be exactly what you need), exist out there but, if you are making these from scratch, the connectors could still cost a load of money and the price for DL's has risen dramatically over the last few years for some unknown reason!

Since 1988, I used to buy about £20,000 of these at a time and sold them to distributors such as VDC, Kelsey, Bryant Broadcast plus studios in the UK and Europe but the market has fallen a lot in that time so I haven't bought any new stock as it ties up a lot of cashflow and the items take even longer to sell.

Recently though, I have had more enquiries for these from studios, but I couldn't supply most of them due to lack of stock. However, with this new website dedicated to SSL matters, I wondered whether it may be an idea to get together in order to buy a bulk consignment of DL's at a cheaper price. It has to be worth my while of course but the end prices would be cheaper than what you would normally buy them for.

If enough people can commit and pay in advance to buy some, I would be willing to purchase a large number of these connectors and associated  parts. By buying in bulk like this, the price per studio installation could be much lower. As a rough guide, without fully working out the exchange rates (USD to GB£), shipping, import duties and other costs, I reckon I could provide them for the following prices which are cheaper than the lowest prices here in the UK, for instance:

Prices amended: 11 October 2012 due to LESS DEMAND!:

1   DL plug: £29 (was £26, originally £30)
2   DL handle: £2.20 (was £2.20)
3   DL crimp: £0.19p (was £0.18p, originally 19p)
4   DL Edac modified backshell: £8.50p

This is only a rough guide but please respond if you are interested in this. Maybe there could be a bundle price for a DL plug, handle and backshell (discounted on the above prices). The average SSL console probably needs around 1,200 crimps so these could be cheaper than the figures stated above, especially if ordered with the plug/handle/backshell combination.

I would need to pay suppliers in advance so, would need the same from you in order to obtain these favourable prices or even lower depending on the quantities. This would only work if everyone interested pays in advance at roughly the same time otherwise I won't take the risk. I can issue invoices to suit (look at my website to see my history if you have any doubts on this).

This bit updated 20 July 2012. Get back to me with some ideas on this along with rough requirements. I'll then contact everyone with a more accurate price once I know how many are needed. So far, I have had enquiries for about 50 DL 96 way plugs plus 3000 crimps and other bits which are required between September and December this year. When the total gets to over 100 plugs, handles and backshells plus 10,000 crimps, the cost goes down quite a bit. Also, please state if you need any DL sockets for panels and patching. Again, over 100 in total means a much better price.

Please bear in mind that most of these items have a long lead time (maybe even 8-12 weeks) so, the sooner I know your requirements, the better.

So, give me your potential requirements soon (even if the install is 6 months away), I'll look at the totals, get some prices, find out the lead times and we take it from there okay?

Regards and more wiring type posts from me soon!

Jim Lassen (www.profcon.co.uk). Contact me directly via prof.conATvirgin.net (substitute @ for AT).
« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 12:44:35 PM by jimlfixit »

Matt Sartori

• Administrator
    • London
    • Solid State Logic Fanatics Database
Re: SSL 96 way DL connector supply
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2012, 10:51:10 AM »
I am definitely in, I think we should organize a group buy!

Mattia.