Author Topic: 4000 software  (Read 15931 times)

Showcase

• Dreamix
4000 software
« on: January 31, 2013, 08:15:10 PM »
I`ve always used 3.52, are there significant fixes in the later software updates? And if so, anyone willing to send a copy for a fee! :)

Showcase

• Dreamix
Re: 4000 software
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2013, 02:44:21 PM »
Im bumping my own thread here cause I´ve always had some minor issues that might have been fixed in a later software update!

ilcaccillo

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2014, 02:31:18 AM »
Im bumping my own thread here cause I´ve always had some minor issues that might have been fixed in a later software update!

Hi,
our computer doesn't work at the moment but the diskette says "SSL Program Disk V G4.01" is that helpful to you?

I could send it,
Can I just copy the files directly with a modern computer and sending it over the web?

I never used this so I don't know if the 3.5 floppy disk is formatted in the same way as a normal PC 3.5 floppy disk.

let me know something

Artur D'Assumpção

• Sintra, Portugal
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2014, 10:24:53 AM »
You can.

Use a linux live CD with a computer with a floppy drive.

Then use the command "dd" to make a raw image of the floppy disk to a file. The one the other side you can also use "dd" to write the raw image back to the floppy.

dd if=/dev/fd0 of= floppy.img count=1 bs=1440k
dd if=floppy.img of= /dev/fd0 count=1 bs=1440k

You also have "dd" on OS X.

For windows there's also an app called RawWrite that can achieve the same thing.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,

Artur

retrocores

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2014, 09:56:58 AM »

Hi,
our computer doesn't work at the moment but the diskette says "SSL Program Disk V G4.01" is that helpful to you?

I could send it,
Can I just copy the files directly with a modern computer and sending it over the web?

I never used this so I don't know if the 3.5 floppy disk is formatted in the same way as a normal PC 3.5 floppy disk.

let me know something

Hi,

If you manage to create a raw image of your program disk could you email it to me? I'm trying to reverse engineer / dis-assemble this software.

Cheers,

Steve

ilcaccillo

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2014, 12:02:31 PM »
Hi Artur,
thank you so much, I will try to do the raw image. I dont know if Im able to do that since Im not experienced at all in software or computer.
I dont have linux.

I will try to do that on a Windows PC with RawWrite

Steve,
I Im able to do that I will send you over email.
send me your email over to my PM inbox

Thanks

pascal.verdet

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2014, 06:27:05 PM »
Hi guys,

I continue investigations to understand the workings of the "Ultimation".
Is someone could give me a copy of the eeprom (IC40) of 82E356 ?
Thanks,

Cheers,
Pascal

ilcaccillo

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2014, 01:39:39 AM »

Hi,

I could send it,

let me know something

Hi,

If you manage to create a raw image of your program disk could you email it to me? I'm trying to reverse engineer / dis-assemble this software.

Cheers,

Steve

I was able to Create an image of the SSL program disk Version G4.01 using RawWrite in Windows XP. (My Windows 7 didn't recognize the internal floppy drive)

Steve I sent you the image over email.

If anyone else needs this, just let me know

Regards

iL

retrocores

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2014, 07:07:48 AM »
Thanks Ilcaccillo,

Its encouraging, if you open the file with a HEX editor you can see familiar SSL Computer Text. 8)

Steve.

pascal.verdet

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2014, 08:36:52 AM »
Hi Steve,
When you receive the file, can you send me a copy ?

Thanks,
Pascal

ilcaccillo

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2014, 10:00:22 AM »
Hi Steve,
When you receive the file, can you send me a copy ?

Thanks,
Pascal

I can send it To you, Pm your email

Artur D'Assumpção

• Sintra, Portugal
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2014, 10:29:40 AM »
I think we shouldn't devote a lot of effort dissembling the old software. This is dead technology...

With the SSL Mixed Computer project the idea is to make something totally new that serves a modern workflow.

That said, one important thing we will need to do, is to reverse the console connections and interaction with the computer:
- vca fader control / automation
- light control
- mode control
- ultimation fader + motors control
- mute/solo control + automation

etc...

I truly believe with a team effort from the community we can get a fully functional computer replacement, with a modern feel and a great set of features within an year span of development.

This would become the community project, made with the effort of everyone.

retrocores

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2014, 12:49:15 AM »
I agree, I'm dissembling this code for historical  purposes and although its dead technology it must not be forgotten, in my opinion this is the forerunner to all modern music production(?), SSL may have abandoned  it but I haven't - and who knows it may throw up something useful for the new computer system.

jimlfixit

• Global Moderator
    • Maidenhead, Bucks, UK
4000 software progress feedback
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2014, 01:35:34 AM »
Hi old SSL software people (I don't mean you are old, just the technology! Heck, actually, I'm probably one of the oldest people on this forum at nearly 58 ...!).

I have been following the various posts regarding building a replacement SSL computer system with interest and notice how you all vary your views as times goes on and you find out what is involved and how complex it may be.

I hope this can happen at some point but I can't help for now as I don't deal with computer code, only wires, connectors and metalwork.

At some point when this gets near the point of being in production or as a prototype, I can help, especially with my past knowledge of SSL systems from about 1980. At the moment, I will read the posts and wait along with everyone else who wants this to be a viable modern day SSL computer replacement.

From what I have witnessed on this site, there seems to be the know how here to make this new computer and, of course, it's been over 30 years since it was first designed, a huge amount of time for some piece of technology to still be in use. I guess credit must go to the original SSL software people (like Paul Bamborough) for such a brilliant and future proofed design to begin with. I doubt whether Paul, nor others, would have anticipated that their original concept would have lasted as long as it has!

Continue the good work people and contact me one day when I can be of assistance.

Finally, can people possibly refrain from including general quotes when replying to emails as they take up loads of scrolling space and time.

Thanks and regards from Jim Lassen

Artur D'Assumpção

• Sintra, Portugal
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2014, 10:49:40 AM »
Hi,

If one got the time and motivation to disassemble and analise the SSL code, I think there should be some pieces that could enlighten the inner workings of the software. One thing that I can think of that could be of good use is that Ultimation motor/electronics control, since this is still in the secrets of the gods.

I bet someone out there, should have the source code of the software stashed somewhere! ;)

I personally believe we can achieve great results with the SSL Mixed computer and explained my reasons why on the SSL Mixed computer forums. We have here members with a very deep knowledge and reverse engineering capabilities on the SSL console, also high level skills on electronics engineering, embedded systems and software design. Also, we are a very united and motivated community, which is the main and most important factor to be able to make this project possible.

Just as an update, you haven't seen post on the SSL Mixed computer forum, but the project is not dead. I'm waiting for my console to arrive the studio (end of March) so I can start giving the first steps into it and organize the tasks we all need to start doing to understand the "beast" under the hood.

Cheers,

Artur