Author Topic: SSL 4000 G-Series Trouble Shooting Journal  (Read 20278 times)

marcmozart

• Frankfurt/Germany
    • Mozart & Friends
SSL 4000 G-Series Trouble Shooting Journal
« on: March 16, 2013, 08:51:29 PM »
Dear Friends,

I'm starting this new thread to seek advice on various issues I will have to deal with in the next few days/weeks. My console is up and running (with a few exceptions, more later!) and I did the first few mixes this week.

As you might know I started another thread about my G-Series Console which will be more like a photo documentation of the refurb and install.
http://forum.sslmixed.com/index.php?topic=284.0

Pic from today...
« Last Edit: March 17, 2013, 11:31:25 PM by marcmozart »
1992 SSL 4048 G-Series
Mix Engineer Blog
http://www.mixedbymarcmozart.com

marcmozart

• Frankfurt/Germany
    • Mozart & Friends
Problem: I get crosstalk from the Echo Sends 1-4 to the Cue Stereo Send. The Echo Sends 1-4 deliver a very clear and consistent signal on all channels. However, I get random crosstalk into the Cue Stereo Send. Any ideas?
1992 SSL 4048 G-Series
Mix Engineer Blog

sintech

• Global Moderator
    • Bristol, UK
Re: SSL 4000 G-Series Trouble Shooting
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2013, 09:39:14 PM »
Try swapping the two Cue Mix Amp cards over, they're identical, see if the crosstalk issue moves

The circuit is passive to the 651, so not much to go wrong. All the amps share the same 0v so could be a bad cap
« Last Edit: March 16, 2013, 09:41:48 PM by sintech »

marcmozart

• Frankfurt/Germany
    • Mozart & Friends
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2013, 10:08:53 PM »
Here's one I solved myself...

Problem: Level for LEFT BUS from Channels in Bucket 1-8 dropped by a few dB.

Solution: Removed and Cleaned the little ribbon cable in the pic below with Isopropyl-Alcohol. After re-install, problem was solved.

I wonder if these ribbons are a common source for problems? I'll certainly keep them in mind if I see any levels drop.

First pic: Ribbon Cable used in Lower Bus Card
Second pic: the one that's missing on this pic was the source of the problem
1992 SSL 4048 G-Series
Mix Engineer Blog

Artur D'Assumpção

• Sintra, Portugal
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2013, 12:41:24 PM »
Thanks for the detailed troubleshooting journal. This is indeed very useful!

I myself am installing soon a SSL 6048G and all this info will be a gem! :D

By the way, what are the EQs on your console? Black 242 throughout the entire console?! :D

Cheers,

Arthur
« Last Edit: March 17, 2013, 12:43:51 PM by Artur D'Assumpção »

marcmozart

• Frankfurt/Germany
    • Mozart & Friends
Re: SSL 4000 G-Series / EQs 292 pink vs. 242 black
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2013, 09:34:22 PM »
Thanks for the kind words! Please post about your console as well and share your experiences.
My console has 292 G-Series EQs on all channels. They are useful for a lot of things, but I want to mix in some Black 242 EQs, and as I was reading in this thread, thats your plan as well. So perhaps we can work together on this. http://forum.sslmixed.com/index.php?topic=248.0

I guess I'll start mixing in 4 or 8 black 242 E-Series EQs to find out where to use them and where not.

I also plan to get my head around recapping entire channels. Another big topic... (list of required caps and where to buy them!).

Thanks for the detailed troubleshooting journal. This is indeed very useful!

I myself am installing soon a SSL 6048G and all this info will be a gem! :D

By the way, what are the EQs on your console? Black 242 throughout the entire console?! :D

Cheers,

Arthur
« Last Edit: March 17, 2013, 10:33:26 PM by marcmozart »
1992 SSL 4048 G-Series
Mix Engineer Blog

Artur D'Assumpção

• Sintra, Portugal
Re: SSL 4000 G-Series Trouble Shooting Journal
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2013, 01:08:08 PM »
Hi Marc,

Of course I will make a fully detailed photo journal about the SSL commissioning.

My SSL is an SSL 6048 G from 1998. It's in mint condition, both working and cosmetic! which is great! :D

Console characteristics:

* Standard channel configuration
* EQs are all 292 Cards (Pink)
* Large keyboard center section
* All illumination is LED (there are no bulbs across the entire console)
* VU meters
* VCA Automation (no ultimation)
* Center section screen was replaced for a TFT screen
* Console was all recapped and the PSUs rebuilt (it has plus 2 extra PSUs)
* RH patchbay
* LH Production bay

I'm also thinking in change at least a bucket of channels with 242 black EQs. If you start upgrading your EQs before me, please post all your process on my thread ok? It would be nice to have this procedure well documented since it's something all SSL owners would love to have! :D

I don't have it yet commissioned, but as soon as I have it (around August) I'll start covering the EQ upgrade procedure.

Cheers,

Artur

perfectsnd

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2013, 11:15:56 PM »
Keep me posted also. I have all 292 EQs in my console and I would like to get a bunch of 242s.

-Joe

marcmozart

• Frankfurt/Germany
    • Mozart & Friends
Trouble Shooting Journal: VCA Fader to mix buss: no sound
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2013, 06:11:35 PM »
PROBLEM: On one of my channels the VCA Fader doesn't pass audio to the mix-buss. I can float the VCA to the Routing Matrix and it works, but thats about it.

Solution: simply the connector to the Film Pan Card was loose - the VCA Fader-signal when going through the mix buss (NOT through routing matrix when "floated").
« Last Edit: May 30, 2014, 07:36:26 PM by marcmozart »
1992 SSL 4048 G-Series
Mix Engineer Blog

sintech

• Global Moderator
    • Bristol, UK
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2013, 06:40:52 PM »
Hi Marc,

is your Group card 82294? I'm looking at multiple drawings here, so it's hard to give you the IC number.. but my first change would be, IC14 on the group card.

This is the Quad pan buffer, after this IC it's all passive to the Mix busses, so it's working back from this point.

Also, it could be a logic fault not activating the Jfet switching correctly.

If you swap the Group cards over on a pair of modules, and see what happens.

sintech

• Global Moderator
    • Bristol, UK
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2013, 07:06:54 PM »
You could also scope pin 44 on the group card, this is the output of IC 14 (Quad Pan Buffer) to the Quad buss, if signal is not present, I bet it's the CMOS Logic controlling JFET RG14.

sintech

• Global Moderator
    • Bristol, UK
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2013, 12:17:20 AM »
If you have Film Pan cards, like your other post suggests.. you'll need to look at the op-amps and logic chips on that board also.

unitedreco

• chicago,Il
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2013, 03:08:27 AM »
Hi Marc

You solve the aux send issue? also dont forget to check up top at the cue aux send master knob....on the 651... the vca fader check the thumbwheel rotate it , sometimes dirt gets in there and itll shut that fader down...swap faders with one that works first before you start diggin in to electrical...its amazing what dirt and grime can do, exercise all the pots and switches on that channel. Troubleshoot first dig in later youll find most little issues are not electrical, well they are but not to the point you need to whip out the solder gun right away. Lost a few channels once after they didnt see use, turned out to be dirty phase switch and filter switch...moved em around and all is well hope you understand what im talking about.
Rae Nimeh

marcmozart

• Frankfurt/Germany
    • Mozart & Friends
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2013, 10:12:33 AM »
Hi Marc

You solve the aux send issue? also dont forget to check up top at the cue aux send master knob....on the 651... the vca fader check the thumbwheel rotate it , sometimes dirt gets in there and itll shut that fader down...swap faders with one that works first before you start diggin in to electrical...its amazing what dirt and grime can do, exercise all the pots and switches on that channel. Troubleshoot first dig in later youll find most little issues are not electrical, well they are but not to the point you need to whip out the solder gun right away. Lost a few channels once after they didnt see use, turned out to be dirty phase switch and filter switch...moved em around and all is well hope you understand what im talking about.

Thanks - will definitely try all this before going too technical...
1992 SSL 4048 G-Series
Mix Engineer Blog

unitedreco

• chicago,Il
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2013, 07:23:33 PM »
Marc

Do the sweep on the pots and switches with the fader up at 0 passing some kind of signal thru it, especially if its a switch issue, dont be to aggressive sometimes just touching a switch a little bit will tell you whats going on, push it slow then fast . If you hear any sort of signal cut in and out that switch or pot is your culprit. There are no common ones to point to, so you should check all. Goodluck!!
Rae Nimeh