Author Topic: SSL 4 / 6K fixing screws and bolts  (Read 14198 times)

jimlfixit

• Global Moderator
    • Maidenhead, Bucks, UK
SSL 4 / 6K fixing screws and bolts
« on: July 19, 2012, 12:41:37 AM »
In the early days of SSL, the 4 and 6k consoles were fitted with BA screws and some various taptites. Later on, probably from 1985, the 5K, 9K and other consoles used metric fixings. Bear in mind most of this is from memory going back nearly 25 years ago so, please contact me if I have got it wrong!

The channel module 611 screws were 4BA x 5/16" black countersunk pozi screws, the Bargraph versions were 4BA x 1". Small faders in the modules, the 651 035 (?) echo cards plus the 621 Producer panel screws and other front panel fixings were normally 6BA x 1/4 or sometimes even 5/16" black countersunk hex head screws. All of these were chemically blackened with a matt finish (not the glossy version). Some of these were screwed into a custom made ali block which allowed a threaded front panel fixing via a 6BA screw and a provision for a PCB assembly to mount at 90 degrees to the panel (such as the 651 echo card PCB and the tape remote PCB in the 682 panel normally mounted in the centre section).

Other screw fixings for the console metalwork were, I think, a normal screw for the front fader buffer trim and maybe a 2BA bolt for the penthouse meter trim (along with a strip of ali perhaps to act as a spacer in both locations) plus 2 BA fixings for the end profile triangular shape trim (3 per unit, some involving countersunk or other hex head screws or bolts depending where fitted). 0BA (or use M6 instead) brass bolts were used for both the copper earthing bar buscard fixings for the 0v connections.

The end profile heavy 'banana' shaped trims used a larger screw fixing (2 per unit) which I am not sure about although, I have some here and will measure them but, they were normally a countersunk hex head bolt. George Gilbert, an ex SSL engineer, has been involved in lots of console metalwork extensions and re-fits over the years and knows better than me on this subject (Ggatpumbro@aol.com).

All the console rectangular or more square type isep rail (which now seems hard to find although I have some left) had 4BA insert strips and I think the countersunk screws fitted from the profiles into this were 6.32 taptites. M3.5 screws can also be used as a replacement but take care as the thread is different.

Finally, the module removal tools were basically just a pair of 2BA screws with Sifam knobs fitted so don't be fooled by some expensive versions out there! The earlier patchbay screws had a 4:40 thread used to secure the US Audioline jacks. Later on, SSL fitted custom made mini head hex screws which were used for the Mosses and Mitchell jacks. I will cover patchbays in a different subject in more detail later on. Hope this helps from Jim Lassen.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2017, 02:59:13 AM by jimlfixit »

marcmozart

• Frankfurt/Germany
    • Mozart & Friends
Re: SSL 4 / 6K fixing screws and bolts
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2013, 12:52:37 PM »
Hi Jim,
is there a good source on the internet to find the various screws used on our consoles?

I am particularly after the Channel Screws and the ones for the small fader. Recycled Audio has the Channel Screws, BUT the material they're made of is so soft that they're unusable after a short time.

Also, what size of hex head screwdriver do I need for the small fader screws?
« Last Edit: October 24, 2013, 12:56:08 PM by marcmozart »
1992 SSL 4048 G-Series
Mix Engineer Blog
http://www.mixedbymarcmozart.com

waltzingbear

• Portland, Oregon
    • Waltzing Bear Audio
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2013, 04:48:13 PM »
in the US these people look interesting, the page I am linking to has thread information on BA screws, detailed

http://www.britishfasteners.com/threads/index.html

if you really want to make your head swim, here is a compendium of what looks to be ALL threads!
http://www.watchman.dsl.pipex.com/thread.html

Alan
« Last Edit: October 24, 2013, 04:54:47 PM by waltzingbear »
Alan Garren
Waltzing Bear Audio

michaeldtech

• 2Q
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2013, 05:44:34 PM »
That list is intense.

I have to re-screw an entire SL6056 so I am on the prowl.

britishfasteners does not have exact, but they may be able to get it in quantity.
Also checking UK.
Mike

michaeldtech

• 2Q
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2013, 07:22:18 PM »
I found the proper screws at Wilfast in Willingham.  Other vendors UK and US were not able to get the specifics.  One could get BA socket heads.
Gary was able to get the 4BA screws but not the 6BA socket heads.  I am going to order the shorter sockethead screws mentioned by sintech in a different thread.

4BA x 5/16 CSK POZI BLACK  15.92/100 at qty 500 and 4.68/100 at qty 2000 
4BA x 7/8 CSK POZI BLACK   33.36/100 at qty 200  prices in pounds sterling

I should have them in 2-3 weeks and will report how they are- "soft", finish quality, etc.
Mike

jimlfixit

• Global Moderator
    • Maidenhead, Bucks, UK
6 and 4BA Hex head drivers
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2013, 10:09:21 PM »
Hi Marc M

Sorry, just seen your post from October. I think the drivers used for the SSL hex head screws (as used on Japanese consoles unlike everywhere else) were:

1   6BA screws: 1/16th of an inch
2   4BA screws: 1/8th of an inch

Hope this helps and I will look at the other posts on this subject to see if I can assist but one thing I am fairly certain about is that SSL used steel screws which were chemically (matt finish) blackened and not ones which had a more glossy black look which tended to be the softer type of metal. I've seen the pictures of the Recycled Audio types and they seem to be the glossy finish softer metal version.

marcmozart

• Frankfurt/Germany
    • Mozart & Friends
Re: 6 and 4BA Hex head drivers
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2013, 10:29:37 PM »
Hi Marc M

Sorry, just seen your post from October. I think the drivers used for the SSL hex head screws (as used on Japanese consoles unlike everywhere else) were:

1   6BA screws: 1/16th of an inch
2   4BA screws: 1/8th of an inch

Hope this helps and I will look at the other posts on this subject to see if I can assist but one thing I am fairly certain about is that SSL used steel screws which were chemically (matt finish) blackened and not ones which had a more glossy black look which tended to be the softer type of metal. I've seen the pictures of the Recycled Audio types and they seem to be the glossy finish softer metal version.

Thanks Jim, as always you are 100% correct on this!
1992 SSL 4048 G-Series
Mix Engineer Blog

marcmozart

• Frankfurt/Germany
    • Mozart & Friends
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2014, 10:36:42 PM »
Hi Michael,
did you receive the screws yet? Would love to know if this worked out OK!

Thanks!
I found the proper screws at Wilfast in Willingham.  Other vendors UK and US were not able to get the specifics.  One could get BA socket heads.
Gary was able to get the 4BA screws but not the 6BA socket heads.  I am going to order the shorter sockethead screws mentioned by sintech in a different thread.

I should have them in 2-3 weeks and will report how they are- "soft", finish quality, etc.
Mike
1992 SSL 4048 G-Series
Mix Engineer Blog

Matt Sartori

• Administrator
    • London
    • Solid State Logic Fanatics Database
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2016, 07:14:42 PM »

Mike

Hi,any news on these?

Matt Sartori

Jimbob

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2017, 09:25:43 PM »
Hi-a,

This is an old thread, however I thought it would be worth asking if anybody has discovered any new sources for the 4/6K screws.

I have bought the channel module 611 screws from Recycled Audio and they do the job nicely.

I'm now specifically looking for the bargraph screws, that I believe from this thread are "4 BA x 1" chemically blackened countersunk pozi screws. Matt finish not glossy"

J

jimlfixit

• Global Moderator
    • Maidenhead, Bucks, UK
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2017, 02:48:56 AM »
Hi Jimbob
Yes, your description of the SSL Bargraph screws is completely correct and accurate. All the SSL black screws were chemically blackened in a matt finish, not glossy like some of the screws you may find. The 4BA module screws were the same but 5/16th of an inch long instead.

All the Japanese consoles had hex head screws instead of pozipan as they were specified by the various Japanese studios at the time. Also, all the 6BA small fader screws were hex head (1/4" I think), as were the ones used in the 651, 682 (tape remote) and 681 keyboard panels, some of which may have been the shorter 3/16" version.

Throughout the 4 and 6K console series, the screws were BA Imperial types, along with those used in the console framework apart from 6.32 taptite screws which were used for securing the frame profiles together. Remember that in the earlier years (1978+), metric screws were not being used much in the UK.
The only overlap was the 0BA brass screws used in the copper bar running throughout the console for grounding purposes as 0BA = M6.

The patchbay screws were originally 4:40x 1/4" as the earlier jacks used were Audioline which could not be used with a pozipan screw. I will address this in another post.

Finally, bear in mind this is all based on memory as I left SSL in 1987 although I have worked on many consoles since then (without refreshing my memory on some of the details sometimes!).

Jimbob

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2017, 12:47:44 PM »
Hi Jim

Thank-You - a great insight.  Makes be think a book on the history and development of British consoles is long overdue.

I will post up images when the items arrive.

Regards,
J

Kprellz

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2021, 08:07:42 AM »
Anyone have more recent links for these? Also anyone know what screws were used on the bus cards? I assumed they were M4 however they’re not. Not really familiar with BA screws.

horizonsound

• Melbourne, Australia
    • Horizon Sound
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2021, 08:11:48 AM »
This is what I have used in the past.

All are 4BA screws, used on anything with the ISEP rails. Note I believe there are some very rare consoles that had M4 strips installed - if I recall, they were Japanese based.

https://www.recycledaudio.co.uk/spares/channel-screws/

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/333143780759

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/333149372614