Author Topic: Bantam patch with isolated grounds  (Read 4582 times)

elshiftos

Bantam patch with isolated grounds
« on: May 21, 2013, 10:58:43 AM »
I have a couple of SSL 112 hole bantam strips that I was hoping to re-purpose for another project. Said project involves a number of 'writing' rooms that are to be linked together via a common patchbay so any room can connect to any other for recording/overdubbing etc.

In this scenario I think it would be bad practice to have all of those grounds shorted together through the chassis of a bantam strip, especially when the lines will be used to carry mic level signals, so I'm looking around for a way to isolate the chassis of the jacks from each other.

It's a bit of a long shot though and I may scrap the bantam idea and do it on XLRs instead!

Cheers

jimlfixit

• Global Moderator
    • Maidenhead, Bucks, UK
Alternatives for studio tielines
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2013, 12:19:31 PM »
Hi, I agree. It's not a good idea to use the SSL metal front patchbay for the purposes of linking rooms together due to possible different grounding schemes if nothing else. Perhaps try an isolated patch like Mosses and Mitchell who also make the bantam jacks for SSL.

You could try a 1/4" GPO isolated patch (M & M again or others) and these are going quite cheaply on eBay these days as Broadcasters switch to digital systems and don't need them. These 1/4" versions have bigger contact areas than Bantams and there is probably not much difference in the price for a secondhand GPO patchbay and an XLR panel these days.

Also, for the same amount of positions, XLR's take up a lot more rack space than bantams or 1u 1/4" patchbays. For 224 holes, you would need 7 of 2 x 16 hole 2u XLR panels using 14u (nearly 25" or 620mm).

If you used 1u 2 x 24 or 26 hole GPO patchbays, you only use 5u (223mm as 1u equals 1.75").

You also have the option of linking some of the screens if required to go to a main technical ground point provided your grounding system is carefully thought out between the rooms.

If you need XLR panels, XLR panel connectors, GPO patchbays or patchcords, I have some used ones available, most of which are on my website shown below.

Hope this helps a bit and regards from Jim Lassen (www.profcon.co.uk). Also on FACEBOOK
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 12:41:06 PM by jimlfixit »

elshiftos

Re: Bantam patch with isolated grounds
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2013, 12:55:40 PM »
Hi Jim,

Many thanks for the comprehensive reply!

I am definitely leaning towards doing this on XLR (7 x 16 way 1U panels) as rack space is not too much of an issue here. If you have the above available pre-loaded with all female XLRs please feel free to drop me a link or a PM.

Cheers

sintech

• Global Moderator
    • Bristol, UK
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2013, 01:14:15 PM »
Got a spare new unused Bantam Bay with isolated grounds, trade for anything interesting.

« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 01:17:00 PM by sintech »

elshiftos

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2013, 01:37:34 PM »
Hi again :)

Thanks for the offer but I'm definately leaning towards the XLR option. Besides, if I'm going to wire in-situ in a small room I'd much prefer to solder XLRs!

sintech

• Global Moderator
    • Bristol, UK
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2013, 01:40:17 PM »
Hey no problem at all, thought i'd throw it into the mix.  8)