Author Topic: Keeping your console clean  (Read 3120 times)

jimlfixit

• Global Moderator
    • Maidenhead, Bucks, UK
Keeping your console clean
« on: May 17, 2013, 02:48:33 AM »
Hi people. Just a quick point from me. Unless you keep your console powered up 24/7, it could be an idea to keep a cover over it to avoid dust getting onto and into it, especially the faders (this post was prompted by the topic about cleaning faders!).

Perhaps avoid something like a blanket as, that too, could contribute to unwanted substances being distributed on your console surface. Equally, perhaps a plastic sheet may not be advisable if the console is still warm after a recent switch off.

Even with the much inferior six Mackie and Soundcraft desks I own, I still cover them every time when not in use to avoid dust. I call these desks as opposed to consoles, as Colin Sanders, who is the reason we are here discussing stuff, referred to the SSL as a console rather than a desk!

Mark Mozart has done a lot of work refurbishing his console and would probably agree with me on this point. Remember, when you are away from your console for a hard earned sleep, a shed load of dust will be laying on your prize bit of equipment!

I'll do a wiring post shortly with pictures on wiring a 25 way D as commonly used for ProTools etc. PS: I also have an SSL 384 compressor and 383 dual eq for sale if anyone is interested. About to go on Ebay shortly (thanks for your help Sintech Andy).

Perhaps this new topic can inspire others to offer their ideas regarding cleaning and refurbishing consoles. What materials and methods do you use for instance?

Regards all from Jim Lassen
« Last Edit: May 17, 2013, 03:15:50 AM by jimlfixit »

unitedreco

• chicago,Il
Re: Keeping your console clean
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2013, 09:54:47 PM »
Add to that keep a small vacuum with extension hose handy and dont ever never ever ever use a feather duster, you are only going to spread the dust to places you cant get at.
Rae Nimeh