Author Topic: old ssl (1979) alignment  (Read 9502 times)

christiancarvin

Re: old ssl (1979) alignment
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2013, 01:08:32 PM »
At first I thought that the 500k trim pot would have made the law level...but unfortunately no....

sintech

• Global Moderator
    • Bristol, UK
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2013, 01:25:55 PM »
Just a quick experiment here, even though LR aren't calibrated for the faders, you have relative inconsistencies up to 5 dB at different levels, when viewed VCA to meters.

christiancarvin

« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2013, 01:38:38 PM »
I have to study this new post carefully and I'll make a report! Thanks for your time!

christiancarvin

« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2013, 10:04:48 PM »
I still don't have the answer to my problem....I can't make proper stereo with two mono modules.
to get the same level: one fader is high and the other is low...as you described on your experiment.

sintech

• Global Moderator
    • Bristol, UK
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2013, 10:47:51 PM »
With a test tone, was able to adjust the gain of the VCA.

The two channels are spares, and were never setup for the faders in the Test console.

I think it's a little hit and miss! the small fader paths are perfect to the meters (when in Stereo Bus Mode)

Be interested how well other peoples consoles are set up.

sintech

• Global Moderator
    • Bristol, UK
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2013, 10:53:29 PM »
When mixing.. currently match L/R on a pair of channels with an NTP plasma meter on the 2bus, just like this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JulvE7lpIk

Dan Korneff

« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2013, 04:47:33 PM »
I've downloaded the 611 I/O module calibration.

Do you have a link available for this calibration?
thanks!

sintech

• Global Moderator
    • Bristol, UK
« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2013, 07:19:13 PM »
It's in the section:

SSlmixed.com Forum » Tech discussion » Technical Manuals & Documentation

Dan Korneff

« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2013, 09:45:12 PM »
THANKS!

Spanzor

« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2018, 12:10:20 AM »
Hi Christian, the line up for the 14 card is going to be pretty much the same for the 13 card, really only the VCA type differed.

As a ballpark, you can flip your VU's into 'VCA to Meters' with all your faders sat on 0dB, and get an idea if anythings wildly off.

VCA Card 82E13 (Non-Ultimation only)
Set the console to Record status and press the channel FLIP and DIRECT buttons. With +14dB applied to the Line Input, measure at the Group Output and adjust VR3 for +14dB output with the large (VCA) fader set at 0dB. Measure this output again for fader settings of +10, -10, and -20dB. Adjust VR2 (dB/V adjustment) to correct or evenly distribute any measured error.
Set the fader to 0dB and, using a distortion meter, adjust the Symmetry present VR1 for minimum distortion.

Hi all-

I've got a similar console to OP, a 6040e from about 1984?? Came from NBC...

I'm beginning to get to the calibration of channels and can't find much literature on what I've got.  The manuals online are as new as 1993, and the manual that came with my desk has lots of info from various consoles including 4k and other G and G+ desks, which doesn't help me that much.

Most of my channels have the 82E01 or 82E241 Input card (mic transformer) and 82E13 output cards.  Probably half of the output cards have a gold DBX vca. 

From what I read in this post, my output card is similar to OP's output card, but only some of my e13's have a VR3, some do not.  One has had a trim pot added to it near T1 on the output card from Channel 11 (pic attached).  There is also a small "L. Trim" pot next to the dynamics card, below my stereo bus routing buttons...

Any help would be greatly appreciated!  I will try and get some more pics and posts up.  New to the forum as I am just getting this monster up and running.

Thanks in advance!

Spencer

Chris Simon

« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2018, 03:45:38 PM »
The problem with the original poster's VCA card might be down to the card's design not having as many adjustments as the later '13 card. The 500k pot adds a DC bias to one of the differential analog inputs; this leads me to believe it's an adjustment to the symmetry and therefore distortion. The retrofitted 60k Bourns trimpot, I'm guessing, fulfills the same function as the the '13 card's VR3 pot, Offset, so that it's possible to align all the VCAs to match at one point of the faders' position. There doesn't seem to be an adjustment equivalent to the '13's VR2, Fader Law, which is why the faders only match at one point. Are all three leads from the trimpot all used, or only two?

Spanzor

« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2018, 06:58:09 PM »
The problem with the original poster's VCA card might be down to the card's design not having as many adjustments as the later '13 card. The 500k pot adds a DC bias to one of the differential analog inputs; this leads me to believe it's an adjustment to the symmetry and therefore distortion. The retrofitted 60k Bourns trimpot, I'm guessing, fulfills the same function as the the '13 card's VR3 pot, Offset, so that it's possible to align all the VCAs to match at one point of the faders' position. There doesn't seem to be an adjustment equivalent to the '13's VR2, Fader Law, which is why the faders only match at one point. Are all three leads from the trimpot all used, or only two?

Hey thanks for reply-

I was hoping that the retro-fitted pot would be to act as a type of V3 trim since there's already two other trims on this particular 82e13 card (vr1 & vr2).  From this post it sounds like my added trim does NOT function as VR3, as it is a 500k pot.  It's only attached at two legs in series with R13, and there isn't really anywhere for the far leg to attach to and it looks cut (very tight space here).  This measures close to 58k ohms. 

This is treated as something different than VR3?  Where would the 60k trim be located if retrofitted?  I'll re-read this post in case that's covered and I've missed it.  Also please let me know if I've confused the 500k DC bias pot you've mentioned with another pot/if I'm misunderstanding your post.  My VR1, VR2 and retrofitted pots all appear to be 50k, 500, and 500k ohms, respectively. 

Another thing that the modified 82e13 card has is another resistor in series at r27 (at the top of the card between the VCA and T3 amp).  It gives me a reading of about 4.9k, where the original DBX card with NO MODS reads 14k in across R27.

Has anyone else installed consoles with 82e13 VCA output cards with only VR1/VR2, with or without the added 500k pot across R13??

« Last Edit: January 14, 2018, 07:01:34 PM by Spanzor »

Spanzor

« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2018, 10:17:49 PM »
Hey again-

Did some more digging in the slew of paperwork I have for this desk.  I found the schematic for the 82E13 card with a few revisions made already.  I have some cards like this, others without VR3.  Looks like the VR trim that's in series with R13 DOES act as variable trim VR3.  I've highlighted these sections on the schematic, which has been super helpful. 

I'll try calibrating one of these as though the channel is a late model 82e13 with vr3 and post results.  Looks like I will have to do some modifications to the cards with only vr1/vr2 in order to be able to calibrate them the same way.

Be back soon... 

Chris Simon

« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2018, 02:44:26 PM »
Hi Spanzor,

My observations were mostly directed towards the original poster with the 82E12 card. The '13 cards I've dealt with have been retrofitted with the 500K pot acting as VR3; so it's certainly possible to add them to any '13 card without VR3 already.

Spanzor

« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2018, 05:06:22 AM »
Hi Spanzor,

My observations were mostly directed towards the original poster with the 82E12 card. The '13 cards I've dealt with have been retrofitted with the 500K pot acting as VR3; so it's certainly possible to add them to any '13 card without VR3 already.

cool! got some soldering to do then...

thanks man!!