Author Topic: SSL Computer Software - Development Documentation  (Read 32308 times)

marcmozart

• Frankfurt/Germany
    • Mozart & Friends
Re: SSL Computer Software - Development Documentation
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2013, 09:13:04 PM »
One thing is safe to say - this forum here is the best place to bring the knowledge together. I quickly spoke to Artur today - he's on to a good thing.
Everything was so much easier with a little bit of help from SSL though.

Is there a reason one has to recreate what a 30 year old computer did? Wouldn't it be much more forward to think how can we integrate these babies into the new more modern work flow.  Shouldn't we be looking at how to integrate the recall into a Daw session or into just a modern program and how the automation of the VCA or Ultimation faders can be controlled from any standard DAW.  We all know that the automation of the SSL can easily be run by any current smartphone. It is creating the hardware to convert the data to a useable format that is the hang up although there seems to be progress on that front by Pelle and Dramastic.

Thoughts?
1992 SSL 4048 G-Series
Mix Engineer Blog
http://www.mixedbymarcmozart.com

Artur D'Assumpção

• Sintra, Portugal
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2013, 09:46:02 AM »
Hi agree totally with you. I think there are lots of reasons that backup the development of a modern alternative as complete to modern days as the old SSL computer was back in the day... and please don't let my small project tell you the opposite. I'm just trying to do a small piece of software to help users keep their projects backed up without having to rely on those floppies, which is a totally different best to deal when comparing to replacing the entire computer. We have already some projects that are cooking to do this for some years now and they haven't seen yet the light of day as a commercial alternative, and that should give a pretty idea how big and complicated the task is, even with modern tools (specially for a 1 man job).

The best and less painful way to approach this "ginormous" challenge should come in the form of a community effort. I have 15 years of active experience on the opensource community supporting several projects and I always experienced that community contributions help projects see the light of day and survive time. I have to be honest here, SSL doesn't give any more support and these desks are getting old. Up until now the community as make an awesome job compiling an insane database of info and in actively helping SSL users maintaining their consoles. Trusting that this commitment will grow and the numbers of talented contributors too, I believe any solution for the SSL computer should come directly from the community and not from a commercial alternative, since as I see it, in the latter approach we'll be leaving one "closed proprietary technology" to another and that will just postpone the problem until the manufacturer bankrupts, drops the product and give support no more. In conclusion, you will be left with another brick for your collection. This leads me to another issue, for the community to be able to do this we need more information about the SSL computer and its link with the console, so we can understand it fully and design a complete alternative and, hopefully, much more powerful. It's not an easy task to get this, and reverse engineering takes many many man-hours, as Pelle testified it in person. The best would be to have access to development documentation that would explain in detail the technology.  With this info in our hands, I know we have talented electronic and software engineers that could make this possible. This is a topic that I will address soon in it's own thread.

A community solution (doesn't mean free) will endure time and give us the freedom to evolve the solution to accommodate our needs. Also will be much cheaper to accomplish, both on a financial and personal-life cost. This wouldn't be a 1-2-3 man job, but a job of the many in the community.

I leave you with these thoughts, comments are welcome! :D

Cheers,

Artur

Is there a reason one has to recreate what a 30 year old computer did? Wouldn't it be much more forward to think how can we integrate these babies into the new more modern work flow.  Shouldn't we be looking at how to integrate the recall into a Daw session or into just a modern program and how the automation of the VCA or Ultimation faders can be controlled from any standard DAW.  We all know that the automation of the SSL can easily be run by any current smartphone. It is creating the hardware to convert the data to a useable format that is the hang up although there seems to be progress on that front by Pelle and Dramastic.

Thoughts?

retrocores

« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2013, 08:36:45 AM »
Is there a reason one has to recreate what a 30 year old computer did?

Thoughts?

My reason is for preservation, even if this is just getting as much information as possible in one place (as is the goal here), the Studio Computer deserves its place in history and it could all to easily slip away. For me it would be fun to rebuild the computer from scratch and get it running the original software, clearly this would bring nothing new to the party - I abandoned this idea several years ago due to lack of information but after accidentally finding this forum it got me thinking again.

It would be great to get get hold of any documentation from SSL, I would love to trawl trough the source code.. 

marcmozart

• Frankfurt/Germany
    • Mozart & Friends
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2013, 11:15:30 AM »
Is there a reason one has to recreate what a 30 year old computer did?

Thoughts?

My reason is for preservation, even if this is just getting as much information as possible in one place (as is the goal here), the Studio Computer deserves its place in history and it could all to easily slip away. For me it would be fun to rebuild the computer from scratch and get it running the original software, clearly this would bring nothing new to the party - I abandoned this idea several years ago due to lack of information but after accidentally finding this forum it got me thinking again.

It would be great to get get hold of any documentation from SSL, I would love to trawl trough the source code..

Exciting! Not sure if it helps, but I have a complete computer service manual. Haven't gotten around scanning it, as it's a MONSTER!!
1992 SSL 4048 G-Series
Mix Engineer Blog
http://www.mixedbymarcmozart.com

Artur D'Assumpção

• Sintra, Portugal
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2013, 01:55:48 PM »
That would be a great adition to our documentation database.

Anyway what we will need is the development documentation that SSL might have it their archives. I will address this issue in a new thread I will write soon (next couple of days).

I also have a big proposition to make to the community that I think it will be important to take the SSL Mixed to the next level. News soon.

Cheers,

Artur

retrocores

« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2013, 07:19:50 PM »

Exciting! Not sure if it helps, but I have a complete computer service manual. Haven't gotten around scanning it, as it's a MONSTER!!

It would help loads.. :)

kilmister

• Global Moderator
    • Hellsinki, Finland
    • 5 by 5 Audio
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2013, 08:43:16 AM »
I have scanned computer service manual ( as well Ultimation) and compiled nice pdf's out of them.
The files are currently under checking for any misstakes, typos and so and when we find they are good Mattia will publish them. There's will be again tiny fee per file to support the site.

-Paavo
-- Too much amp power is just right --

-- 5 by 5 Audio
-- 5 by 5 @ Facebook

Artur D'Assumpção

• Sintra, Portugal
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2013, 10:38:21 AM »
Guys please go to the next thread which is the follow up of this subject:

http://forum.sslmixed.com/index.php?topic=426.msg2379#new

Cheers,

Artur

Artur D'Assumpção

• Sintra, Portugal
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2013, 10:40:05 AM »
Nice work Paavo!

Lets us know when you have it completed. Would love to have my hand on that.

Those that documentation give out information about the logic behavior for the computer <-> console control, automation and total recall?

Cheers,

Artur
I have scanned computer service manual ( as well Ultimation) and compiled nice pdf's out of them.
The files are currently under checking for any misstakes, typos and so and when we find they are good Mattia will publish them. There's will be again tiny fee per file to support the site.

-Paavo

Matt Sartori

• Administrator
    • London
    • Solid State Logic Fanatics Database
« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2013, 05:22:29 PM »
manuals will be uploaded later on today, early tomorrow morning.
again please do not re-distribute them...

on regards to the other thread
http://forum.sslmixed.com/index.php?topic=426.0

I second this as it seems a lot of people are keen on resurrecting the old system but I would not get in touch or ask anything to SSL directly.
they don't want / can be involved in this.
I have tried to collaborate with them on the forum at various levels in the past and all I got was a dead end.
I guess it's not viable for them to be involved in things like this.

one thing they did was to list all the SSL studios on the planet..right after I spoke on the phone to the marketing manager about it...

interesting they had the same idea I had when I created the www.SSLMIXED.com database ....EXACTLY a couple of weeks after me...odd...

so my 2 cents: leave them alone.

flip side of the coin: if there is anybody out there that worked on the code or anything that had to do with the computer and is willing to help I think we should get in touch with him and see if we can take it further.

Mattia.

Artur D'Assumpção

• Sintra, Portugal
« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2013, 05:30:06 PM »
Mattia,

You have lots of experience with the SSL electronics. Do you think it would be doable to reverse the system? How complicated would be to read/write signals to and from the console? I think after we got thing sorted out and an electronic board ready developing the software would be the smoothest part. I already have bunch of design ideas for this that I can share.

Artur
« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 05:33:25 PM by Artur D'Assumpção »

pascal.verdet

« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2013, 06:00:06 PM »
Hi Artur,
Regarding your thread, maybe I can help you.
I'm working as field technical engineer on 4000, during 80-85 …
It’s very long time, but I can remember some issues, and solutions with the total recall and automation.
I'll look tonight if I can find the 4000 service manuals

Pascal

Artur D'Assumpção

• Sintra, Portugal
« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2013, 07:39:50 PM »
Hi Pascal,

Thank you so much for you support. I believe if we can gather enough information we will be able to do it and build a system we can trust for the future! ;)

Keep in touch!

Cheers,

Artur

Hi Artur,
It’s very long time, but I can remember some issues, and solutions with the total recall and automation.

Pascal

Matt Sartori

• Administrator
    • London
« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2013, 09:00:41 PM »
Hi Pascal,

Thank you so much for you support. I believe if we can gather enough information we will be able to do it and build a system we can trust for the future! ;)

Keep in touch!

Cheers,

Artur

Hi Artur,

Pascal

all manuals (including computer service manual) in the documents thread..  ;)

http://forum.sslmixed.com/index.php?topic=428.0

Mattia.

Matt Sartori

• Administrator
    • London
« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2013, 09:06:11 PM »
Mattia,

You have lots of experience with the SSL electronics. Do you think it would be doable to reverse the system? How complicated would be to read/write signals to and from the console? I think after we got thing sorted out and an electronic board ready developing the software would be the smoothest part. I already have bunch of design ideas for this that I can share.

Artur

the console it's fairly straight forward and really,extremely well designed.
Computer it's sort of black magic for me...

Mattia.