Author Topic: Prerequisites specification list for the SSLMixed computer  (Read 24430 times)

Artur D'Assumpção

• Sintra, Portugal
Re: Prerequisites specification list for the SSLMixed computer
« Reply #45 on: November 21, 2013, 09:08:28 PM »
Hi Pascal,

At this stage I am just asking people to help me documenting the SSL I/O. Please check the research forum where I posted this request.

Currently I can't dive deep on the reverse part on my side since I'm about to get a new console commissioned. So until then I don't have access to a console. But there's all this stuff that we can do before laying hands on the console electronics.

Cheers,
Artur

Artur,

if I can help for anything for reversing stuff, let me know.

Cheers
Pascal

unitedreco

• chicago,Il
« Reply #46 on: December 12, 2013, 10:12:44 PM »
just going to chime in for a quick sec...love the idea love the ambition....do you guys realize part of the computer extends into a few parts in the console? And not everything in the computer is completely relevant to the auto or recall or audio but without certain components in there you cant get certain things to co operate with each other and work right....

I have a computer sitting downstairs with a supply too i might add, il look at it, if its complete and hasnt been raped il donate it to you guys for reverse engineering.

Key points of a new system....it NEEDS to work as it currently does, key functions etc etc but be more modern, workable in a hybrid enviornment( analog and digital (daw)). Im a mixer, producer and developer and thats just a few hats ive worn for the past 25+ years so what i use my console for goes above and beyond what it was made for but if it doesnt have the basics it was born with its useless to me. Again just my 2 cents
Rae Nimeh

Artur D'Assumpção

• Sintra, Portugal
« Reply #47 on: December 22, 2013, 09:48:25 AM »
Hi,

This is the perfect time for everyone to express their concerns and give suggestions. With the contribution of everyone we will be able to make a solution the serves the most scenarios possible. It's also feasible that this won't be a project where we offer all the features from day 1 of the release. Instead we will be upgrading the hardware and software with relevant updates to rollout quicker the solution to everyone on the forum. Since the mindset of the project is a community one, everyone with little set of skills will be able to manufacture the new boards and install the software. Of course we are thinking in providing these boards for a small fee, but this will be almost certainly only for major revisions.

By the way, I know i've been very quiet on the forum, don't panic! I'm on top of things, I'm just currently overseeing the comission of my new SSL 6K console, which will be used also as a base for the SSLMixed Computer development.

Merry Christmas to you all!! ;)

Cheers,

Artur

marcmozart

• Frankfurt/Germany
    • Mozart & Friends
« Reply #48 on: December 23, 2013, 12:41:24 PM »
Sounds exciting! Merry X-Mas Artur!
1992 SSL 4048 G-Series
Mix Engineer Blog
http://www.mixedbymarcmozart.com

BN1studio

« Reply #49 on: January 17, 2014, 06:45:45 PM »
I can't help thinking this is over-complicating the job. Whilst there are some people who want to just replace the computer with a modern equivalent, I can't help thinking a lot of people would be happy with machine control, fader control, cuts and Total Recall

Leaving TR aside for a moment, what about machine control and faders/cuts? Most people use a DAW, not tape, and for them a way to write & update faders and cuts would go a long way to integrating the SSL back into the studio

My suggestion: a simple interface on the console reading the faders & cuts. Midi in and out. Faders controlled as Midi continuous controllers. Data written to the DAW as it is now with Pro Tools / Logic / etc

Yes, I agree that 127 levels of resolution may not be ideal for a fader. So use a non-linear scale and two controllers per fader or some other bastardisation of the Midi spec.

My feeling is that making a system that will work with every DAW out there will guarantee a significant take-up and that take-up will help the project succeed rather than kill it

Nick Froome

PelleG

• Stockholm, Sweden
    • Automan
« Reply #50 on: January 18, 2014, 10:49:45 AM »
Sorry for hijacking.

I posted some news in the thread about Automan:

http://forum.sslmixed.com/index.php?topic=118.msg2988#msg2988

End of message.

Best,
PelleG

Artur D'Assumpção

• Sintra, Portugal
« Reply #51 on: January 21, 2014, 10:40:33 PM »
Hi Pelle,

THanks for the info! You're always welcome to hijack! ;) Gonna check it out!

Cheers,

Artur