Author Topic: EQ when too much  (Read 4988 times)

Matt Sartori

• Administrator
    • London
    • Solid State Logic Fanatics Database
EQ when too much
« on: December 10, 2013, 02:14:38 PM »
just a general topic to see what you people think about this.

I 99% of the times EQ and Compress on the way to tape (or HD) and am always very gentle as I tend to add and not cut too much while recording.
I do however tend to cut as much as 6-8dB in some instances (sometimes more and in various areas of the spectrum for each given instrument)

I have observed that I normally do it to compensate for poor musicianship as when the musician is good and knows how to give you a good sound there is very little needed..

When does one stop? when it becomes phasey ?

What's the vibe on this guys?

Mattia.

marcmozart

• Frankfurt/Germany
    • Mozart & Friends
Re: EQ when too much
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2013, 08:43:51 PM »
I would say there's nothing wrong with your approach. I record mostly flat and with lots of headroom, so I can still do anything I like later.

As a side note, on a lot of material I am getting for mixing, people used a tracking compressor the wrong way. Biggest problem is too much attack at the beginning of every word, which I have to work against in the mix, often taking out transients with SPL Transient Designer.
1992 SSL 4048 G-Series
Mix Engineer Blog
http://www.mixedbymarcmozart.com

Matt Sartori

• Administrator
    • London
    • Solid State Logic Fanatics Database
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2013, 01:05:23 PM »
I would say there's nothing wrong with your approach. I record mostly flat and with lots of headroom, so I can still do anything I like later.

As a side note, on a lot of material I am getting for mixing, people used a tracking compressor the wrong way. Biggest problem is too much attack at the beginning of every word, which I have to work against in the mix, often taking out transients with SPL Transient Designer.

Get that quite a lot too with material tracked the wrong way.
SPL is a great tool, I use their Drum Xchanger a LOT too!

Mattia.

Druhms

• Panama City
    • Rockin' Room in P.C. Florida
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2017, 07:19:11 AM »
My Friend,

I share my opinion with all respect......If you are needing to cut EQ 6-8db due to "musicianship",  then musicianship is not the issue to bother with!
Yes,  they may be horrible players that need every bit of help available.  BUT,  your eq and compression does not substitute for skill!

I absolutely try my hardest to NEVER compress or eq to tape.  OK....well,  my only exception is Vocals.  Yes,  I do compress Vox to tape pretty heavy.  But,  I do not eq.  And,  I do not EQ anything else to tape!  I do not compress anything else to tape!  I take pride in the instrument at hand and offer every bit of respect I can.  I get the amps sounding good.  I tune up the drums as best I can.  I even intonate the guitars to compensate for their screwed up tuning!  If the person bashing it around sucks,  then it's not my fault!  Yes,  of course....we have to make a living.  But,  we are in an SSL forum.  I hope we are keeping our rates as expected from an SSL studio.....and these days,  that's not much.

If the customer complains,  and you have applied professional technique to the sounds of their tracks,  then you have no fault in pointing the finger at the true person at fault!
This is my approach on a good day.  Of course there are plenty of exceptions.  But if the instruments are tracked appropriately,  then the mix has plenty of room for any creativity we might add to the mix....if needed.
Good luck!
JJ
www.BoogieTracks.com