Author Topic: 3,5mm Mini-Jack to SSL (iPad, iPod, iPhone, Macbook, etc.)  (Read 4632 times)

marcmozart

• Frankfurt/Germany
    • Mozart & Friends
3,5mm Mini-Jack to SSL (iPad, iPod, iPhone, Macbook, etc.)
« on: March 10, 2013, 08:52:22 PM »
I assume we all sometimes need to connect a consumer device with an unbalanced 3,5mm Mini-Stereo-Jack to our consoles. Or unbalanced consumer CD/SACD-Players, Macbooks etc.

Jenson Transformers offer these little "ISO-MAX" boxes with high-quality transformers, but they are relatively expensive (around 200 US$)

http://jensen-transformers.com/pi2xx.html

How are you guys dealing with this? Any DIY-Ideas?
1992 SSL 4048 G-Series
Mix Engineer Blog
http://www.mixedbymarcmozart.com

kilmister

• Global Moderator
    • Hellsinki, Finland
    • 5 by 5 Audio
Re: 3,5mm Mini-Jack to SSL (iPad, iPod, iPhone, Macbook, etc.)
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2013, 09:48:17 PM »
I used some Lundahl  600:600 transformers I had laying around to convert signal from unbalanced to balanced from the studio computer to the console.
I also modified card 29 a bit and changed R4 and R5 at couple of channels from 19K1 to 68K to get around 12dB more gain so I can plug iPod etc. straight to console.

-Paavo
-- Too much amp power is just right --

-- 5 by 5 Audio
-- 5 by 5 @ Facebook

jimlfixit

• Global Moderator
    • Maidenhead, Bucks, UK
Unbalanced equipment into SSL
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2013, 12:05:03 AM »
Hi Marc. I'm no techie but have some Sowter 5069 1:1 transformers which may be useful for your purpose. I have advertised them in the buy/sell menu today (14th March 13). Alternatively, I think Canford Audio, Studio Spares or Bryant Broadcast (or unlimited) may have some suitable versions.

Regards from Jim Lassen (www.profcon.co.uk). Also on Facebook FACEBOOK

elshiftos

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2013, 03:34:21 PM »
These are pretty good and you would be hard pushed to get a single 1:1 10K Sowter for this money!

http://hiveindustries.com/PC-Bal-Box/PCBalBox

kilmister

• Global Moderator
    • Hellsinki, Finland
    • 5 by 5 Audio
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2013, 04:06:23 PM »
Does not matter which method is used to convert unbalanced signal to balanced, gain have to be raised when signal comes from consumer level device at -10dBV. Otherwise level is not anything nearby with the mix bus assuming "normal" +4dBu (or higher  8) ) mixing level.

-Paavo
-- Too much amp power is just right --

-- 5 by 5 Audio
-- 5 by 5 @ Facebook

michaeldtech

• 2Q
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2013, 06:16:12 PM »
You want to bump 12-14 dB to be able to compare multiple sources at similar levels to the mix bus.

I like and use the ART Cleanbox for active and Ebtech Line Level Shifter for passive.  The newer Cleanbox even has mini jacks on it for easy integration.

For DIY you can do it with two dual op amps.  The Ebtech uses two 600:15000 trannies with zobel networks on both sides.

michaeldtech

• 2Q
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2013, 09:40:39 PM »
I had an ART box with a blown output and used two 33078's from the lonely Studer spares box instead of replacing the 4558's stock and what a huge improvement in gain and noise floor. Huge. It becomes a much better box.
Mike