Author Topic: Rebirth of the Mix Computer  (Read 10316 times)

marcmozart

• Frankfurt/Germany
    • Mozart & Friends
Rebirth of the Mix Computer
« on: January 28, 2014, 10:43:27 PM »
With Andy's support and computer parts becoming really cheap, I've now got all the missing parts to put the pieces together. I've had already written it off, but now I am actually very excited. In true OCD-fashion, here's Part 1 of the rebirth! More to come soon.

« Last Edit: February 03, 2014, 09:36:45 PM by marcmozart »
1992 SSL 4048 G-Series
Mix Engineer Blog
http://www.mixedbymarcmozart.com

Matt Sartori

• Administrator
    • London
    • Solid State Logic Fanatics Database
Re: Rebirth of the Mix Computer
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2014, 11:01:28 PM »
sexy shower this is....
naked computer  ;D ;D ;D

Mattia.

sintech

• Global Moderator
    • Bristol, UK
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2014, 11:10:17 PM »
Hahah.. guess is was too big for the Miele Dishwasher!  8)

marcmozart

• Frankfurt/Germany
    • Mozart & Friends
Computer Rack Mother Card CF82E 120
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2014, 11:13:31 AM »
After the motherboard was removed, I vacuum cleaned it. Quickly decided to give it a quick shower as well since there are no Electronic Parts on this board, other than the capacitors. I've then replaced 10x 220uF 25V Capacitors with black Panasonic FR.

The contacts were all flushed with Isopropyl-Alcohol. This board looks like new now.

This motherboard is super-heavy and from extremely thick material.

1992 SSL 4048 G-Series
Mix Engineer Blog

michaeldtech

• 2Q
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2014, 12:55:11 PM »
Love the bubbly shower!
The cherry on the top is to take a cotton wipe over the end of an old credit or telephone card with ProGold or preferred contact cleaner and condition those contacts.
Also remove a couple of the STEEL fasteners from that rack to make sure there is no moisture there.  That isep rail is a moisture wick.
Mike

marcmozart

• Frankfurt/Germany
    • Mozart & Friends
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2014, 02:20:02 PM »
Hi Mike,
I'll definitely try that - great ideas! I'll probably keep using my beloved Isopropyl-Alcohol for cleaning contacts - it cleans extremely well and disappears completely. But will have a look at ProGold.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2014, 07:40:37 PM by marcmozart »
1992 SSL 4048 G-Series
Mix Engineer Blog

marcmozart

• Frankfurt/Germany
    • Mozart & Friends
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2014, 10:16:15 PM »
This is the „Computer Interface Card“ that has all the connectors for ribbons that connect the computer to the VCA Faders.
It sits at the backside of the computer rack, collects a lot of dust.

Since the Computer Interface Card does not contain any electronic parts, it gets a shower, then some Isopropyl-cleaning (Q-Tips etc.), more Water, quick drying on the radiator and a final treatment with Wax and Polish.

Here we go, better than new - and protected for 25 more years. (Since I am a non-smoker, maybe longer.)

« Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 11:52:33 PM by marcmozart »
1992 SSL 4048 G-Series
Mix Engineer Blog

marcmozart

• Frankfurt/Germany
    • Mozart & Friends
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2014, 11:49:37 PM »
Been thinking about those fans… yes, I have a machine room, but I want to try and reduce the noise and at the same time improve the cooling.

This array of 6 fans - in the top of the computer rack - is consuming insane 120W - just the fans!

These definitely have to go.

The Fan that SSL us using... Papst 4600 N, is available online, here for 26,50 €:
http://www.reichelt.de/?ARTICLE=111016&PROVID=2257&wt_mc=amc136152448016369&ref=adwords_pla&&gclid=COWq_Ye5qbwCFTMPtAod4x0Apg

It moves 180 m3/h which is quite a lot, but there are current offerings that can move more. The level of noise is 50 dB for one of these. 18Watts. And there is 6 of them!

Anyway, thanks to PC gaming good fans don't cost much these days, are very quiet and consume a lot less power than the original ones.
In addition to using modern high-tech fans, I might control them by a fan controller that measures the temperature inside the rack. I think, operating each of the different fans at a different frequency could also make a difference to the perceived sound of the fans.
Fan Controller Aerocool Touch 2100
Unboxing: http://youtu.be/ou9adwmL25A
Review (in German): http://youtu.be/sPIm7OeFxko
http://www.aerocool.us/peripheral/touch2100.htm

Fan (5x) - Coolermaster 200mm Megaflow
EDIT: These move 186 m3/h at 19 dB and 3,36Watts. If that works, definitely a huge improvement. We'll see, I might need to build a costume-made top plate to use these. They are bigger.
Video Review: http://youtu.be/E5qv9RwgaBA

I am also looking into insulating the rack with some acoustic dampening material. There are plenty of sets out there, again, designed for the Game PC Market.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2014, 11:35:09 PM by marcmozart »
1992 SSL 4048 G-Series
Mix Engineer Blog

StefanNowak

• Sydney, Australia.
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2014, 12:43:26 AM »
Careful with the fans dude. I know 2 guys that installed quiet fans in their racks and it didn't work out.

Artur D'Assumpção

• Sintra, Portugal
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2014, 07:57:30 PM »

Hi Marc!

Awesome work you do! You're a very meticulous guy, who was your sensei?! ;)

btw, heat is a bitch in that rack! The computer is what runs more hot. I had that idea but I was strongly advised to leave it alone, since it's very easy for you to burn it.

The noise you hear is not much from the fans themselves (of course they make noise), but also from the air (those 6 fans move lots of air) passing through the grills!

Cheers,

Artur

waltzingbear

• Portland, Oregon
    • Waltzing Bear Audio
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2014, 09:20:04 PM »
and that won't change much with different fans, you need that much air.

the basic fact is that if you have an SSL board, you *MUST* have an equipment room, its part of the cost of having an SSL.

maybe with a new switching PSU and NO computer automation you could get away with it. but its still better with, what's the point of an SSL without automation.

Alan
Alan Garren
Waltzing Bear Audio

Artur D'Assumpção

• Sintra, Portugal
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2014, 02:03:42 PM »
I was thinking about this.

Couldn't be an alternative approach to fans?

Is there any specific component in the computer rack that heats above the rest, or the heat is a overall in-case heat?

We could try something like: less fans (such as the one that Marc is exploring) and some watercooling, or a type of localized Air Conditioner?

Cheers,

Artur

jimlfixit

• Global Moderator
    • Maidenhead, Bucks, UK
SSL computer fan noise
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2014, 02:17:04 PM »
Last year I replaced some fans on a computer rack. When they are off the rack they run fairly quietly (hence them being called whisper fans) but, coupled to the 11u rack which is directly screwed to the larger 19U rack, the whole thing resonates as you know. I would isolate them as much as possible by doing the following:

1 Put some rubber type strip around the grills to isolate from the computer rack below and also above against the fans.

2 Use smaller (maybe nylon M3 or 6BA) screws than the ones fitted by SSL (4BA or maybe M3.5 or M4?) to hold the fans in place through the grill. Maybe you could use some bushes to isolate the screws from the grills and the fan holes so there is no direct contact. Perhaps enlarge the grill fan hole cutouts so that the screws don't touch them.

3 (added 3 Feb 13): Also isolate the top fan plate from the 11u rack to cut down on the noise transfer but you may need a separate earthing wire to connect the two for safety reasons.

Also, as Marc states later, you could do away with the metal top plate altogether and just mount the fans on some rails across the top but they will have to isolated from the top of the cage as well and will allow more dust down into the rack, especially if the computer is switched off.

4 The 11 rack is bolted to the large 19" rack so, put some isolating strip on the rack shelves under the computer rack (and the power supply shelves) and perhaps some on the vertical 19" rack side mounting positions so that the 11u rack doesn't actually touch the 19" rack. This also needs screw fixings which are also isolated (and smaller diameter) in some way so that there is no direct metal to metal connection (and hence noise transfer). The cage nuts are fixed into the large 19" rack so you are stuck with that but, you can use M5 cage nuts and screws instead of the M6 or 0BA ones fitted. By using M5 versions, it gives you the option of fitting some sort of bush (a washer with a protruding flange) to help isolate any rack gear fitted to the main large 19" rack.

Hope that makes some sense. Maybe I should do a drawing and post it here! It also doesn't help that SSL made the 16/0.2 brown fan wires very short to begin with. I would totally replace these with ones that have much more service loop and forget all those hard to remove sleeves over the fan contacts.

Regards from Jim Lassen
PS: Marc. Another example of excellent German re-engineering. Your examples of refurbishing SSL equipment have to be admired by all as you are so good at it.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2014, 04:54:30 PM by jimlfixit »

kilmister

• Global Moderator
    • Hellsinki, Finland
    • 5 by 5 Audio
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2014, 02:45:35 PM »
Personally I doubt Coolmasters won't run too long 24/7...

-Paavo
-- Too much amp power is just right --

-- 5 by 5 Audio
-- 5 by 5 @ Facebook

Showcase

• Dreamix
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2014, 03:07:31 PM »
Cool, it doesnt hurt to experiment, I mean it seems you have good watching inside with temperature...  so whats the downside?  :) I think computer fans run 24/7 too dont they hehe