Author Topic: Request for Help - SSL 5000 support (CLOSED)  (Read 14045 times)

matt

• Reutlingen, Germany
Re: Update on new computer support for 5K!
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2014, 07:57:08 PM »
Hi Jim,

Sorry that Andy and I voted no to support a new computer replacement. It's just that the priority should probably be given to the 4/6K users as there are many more consoles to make the development worthwhile to start with. Maybe after that is done, some attention could be given to the 5K if there is a market!

I'm fine with that - so no sweat.
Everyone has it's own opinion based on the experience he has had with these consoles.

I just wanted to throw in a word for the 5K series which, from my own personal experience, isn't that bad a beast :-)
It's 'different' than what is known to most of the 4K/6K owners - since these are considered 'audio' consoles whereas the 5K is, as was said here before, mostly film and broadcast.
It has a totally different approach and was a great step into the digital control of a desk - again, my personal opinion.
And, in broadcast (live) situations, when a channel (or even just a part of the channel) fails, you can't call a technician to drop in and repair something - you'd need immediate replacement of the failing component while you're still online and the rest of the desk is working.

When I got it, I had to read a lot of the technical information that came with it to (not even now fully) understand how it's working from a technical point of view.
Handling (routing, recording, mixing) is the same as for an audio console - it's just done differently.

But you know better than I do since you were part of the manufacturing back then.
I also do have these impressions when it comes to things where I was part of the 'builder' crew ..... and some things of these I wouldn't even want to touch today :-)   

Thanks anyway for getting back on my points - I don't want to make this an endless discussion about liking this or that more than the other.

These 2 I'd like to look a little closer at :
7   5K knowledge: My knowledge is mostly based on the manufacture of these, that's all.
8   Support development of 5K: You may be right and it is encouraging to note that the 5K computer was roughly the same as other consoles after that. I left before the 8 and 9k came along so I am ignorant to some extent even though I have worked on some since and got asked to work at SSL for a while when the largest SSL ever made (9K 120 channels) was being constructed for a private studio in Brunei (the whole project got cancelled in the end).

So you're one that knows the 5K really from under the hood !
Do you happen to know where I can get some of the spare parts other that the locations we all know (these, I already contacted) ?
Like, I am trying to get a latching switch for the VCA group faders but, even knowing the number I am looking for, couldn't find yet.

I hope I've answered some questions and clarified some points. I see that Artur has already responded to you as well regarding the computer support for the 5K. Hopefully, it can be looked at and incorporated into the new computer design at some point.

Yes you did - thanks.
And I just learned something new - that's what this forum is also all about, I guess.

Hope this helps a bit and regards from Jim Lassen

Funny, I just found out the we have been in contact already - must have been around 2010 - I have a directory with your name on my drive :-)

PS: Maybe, as I think Artur suggested, this topic about new computer support for the 5K could be moved somewhere else.
Mattia, Andy and I have discussed the 5K users several times during the past 2 years so, perhaps now is the time to separate it out, especially as the forum has got bigger.
I meanwhile agree :-)

Regards,
Matt

jimlfixit

• Global Moderator
    • Maidenhead, Bucks, UK
More 5k information
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2014, 12:10:56 AM »
Hi Matt

Oh dear, looks like I'm being quoted loads of times so I guess I'll have to respond somehow!

The 5K was (still is?) fine, but as it had many different formats, types and configurations, it was a pain for SSL to manufacture from a commercial and efficient point of view and because of this, there were loads of problems for all of us coming to terms with it in the early years.

Most of the design engineers who worked on the 4/6 consoles also contributed to the 5K so the sound quality would have been similar. Although I was working on the 5K for a few years after it was first thought of, I was mainly just involved in the overall process and mostly getting the cassettes (as they were called, not modules) into the production line from the prototype stage.

I never actually built a frame whilst working for SSL but Colin Sanders asked me to come back to build a one off, heavily customised console at Begbroke after I became self employed. Experienced frame builders there couldn't deal with it and I had no direct experience of frame building before but, that was okay as I could start from scratch without being confused with set wiring plans. After a few weeks, it became too much as there was such a lot of information to absorb but, luckily enough, some parts were late arriving and in the two weeks that followed, I was able to get a grip with the whole thing and figure out what went where.

So, yes, I know the 5K from under the hood as you mentioned but decades have passed since then and the memory fades somewhat!

Spare parts: Mmm, no idea really. Whilst working at SSL, I could have had access to all that purchasing info but didn't realise at the time how valuable it would be once leaving (and not the moral thing to do either). A lot of the 5K parts were very different to the 4/6K consoles (switches for instance) and I was just bogged down trying to get those mothers built at the time as there was so much pressure.

I think the fader switch you are searching for is a green and white one from memory but I may be wrong. The 4/6k's used Highland versions which were different.

We have been in contact already! Wow, big brother is watching over us ever since 2010!

Regards from Jim Lassen (www.profcon.co.uk). Also on FACEBOOK

PS: I have loads of the 56 way Edac type free socket connectors available if you need any. I bought them for Focusrite consoles, all of which I also constructed, but they stopped production. I also know the SSL pinouts for these 5K versions.

Again, this 5K stuff should be in a separate menu (Mattia and Andy: We have discussed this a few times before!)

matt

• Reutlingen, Germany
Re: More 5k information
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2014, 10:23:47 AM »
Hi Jim,

Oh dear, looks like I'm being quoted loads of times so I guess I'll have to respond somehow!
naaa ......  8)

Thanks for the information - quite interesting - so there maybe occasions when I will ask you something about it .... in the then existing 5K menu

We have been in contact already! Wow, big brother is watching over us ever since 2010!
well ... I'm afraid, this memory will never fade. Which is good for me since mine is fading as well.

Regards from Jim Lassen (www.profcon.co.uk). Also on FACEBOOK

PS: I have loads of the 56 way Edac type free socket connectors available if you need any. I bought them for Focusrite consoles, all of which I also constructed, but they stopped production. I also know the SSL pinouts for these 5K versions.
ya - thanks for the link .... lots of interesting stuff there .... I better call you for more information
Just yesterday, I was looking at some of my unused EDAC cables and connectors.
But the de-pinning tool is pretty expensive as is the crimping tool (would you rent that probably ?).
But this belongs to the wiring menu I think

Cheers,
Matt

P.S: I'll try to call them cassettes in the future .......