Author Topic: Computer scalability - Max channel count  (Read 6629 times)

Artur D'Assumpção

• Sintra, Portugal
Computer scalability - Max channel count
« on: March 29, 2014, 11:43:02 PM »
Hi guys,

Steve (retrocores) and I have been digging into the SSL computer and console documentation and getting some very good developments that we'll share soon on the forum. In the meanwhile we've been dwelling into the design and architecture for the new computer. The conclusion is that the best is for this computer to be modular and expandable to user needs/configuration. Ex: one card per each bay (8 channels), also extra cards for the center section (group channels, main fader, 6K groups A,B & C and Patchable VCAs) and other features are also considered here.

One question appeared while we were discussing this and I think you guys more experiment could help us finding the optimal value. What should be the maximum channels the computer should support?

I know that there were a couple of consoles that had 112 channels, but I ask myself if a console these sizes are even realistic these days? Maybe a 96 would be a more realistic size? Maybe not?

Please let us know your opinion, since this is important to set the maximum size in terms of hardware design.

Thanks,

Cheers,

Artur 
« Last Edit: March 29, 2014, 11:45:14 PM by Artur D'Assumpção »

Matt Sartori

• Administrator
    • London
    • Solid State Logic Fanatics Database
Re: Computer scalability - Max channel count
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2014, 08:11:07 PM »
I think the likely of seeing a console of 112 channels is next to ZERO.
the biggest 4K I have ever seen are 72 channels and I think they are not going to stay that size for a long time...

average size now days is probably around 48 so from 16 to 64 so modular in groups of 8 is the key to allow people to start with a basic system and then add as they go along and they have budget.

I would say max 72...

Artur D'Assumpção

• Sintra, Portugal
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2014, 08:42:48 PM »
Mattia,

I am also inclined to a max count between 72-96 channels.

I think the average user will have between 24-56 channels, at least that's what I see the most common out there.  My console before decommissioning had 72 channels.

I think if we aim to 72 (9 bays) we should catch 90% of the SSL owners nowadays. This way we save real state on the PCB main board and case. Anyway, I think we should design the hardware to accommodate easily if needed an extension up to 96 (11 bays) if we see that we need to to increase the real state to allow more expansion cards. 

Comments are welcome guys!

Cheers,

Artur

pascal.verdet

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2014, 10:16:50 AM »
Hi Arthur,

At my point of vue, I think that 96, it's maximum channel for "normal" studio.

Cheers,
Pascal

marcmozart

• Frankfurt/Germany
    • Mozart & Friends
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2014, 10:46:15 AM »
I personally know about a 96Ch. G in Sydney, Australia. It's the biggest that I have seen these days.

This would require 13 x 8 Ch. VCA-Cards (without patchable VCAs).

The big studios that have a 4K-room sometimes have 72 or 80 channels.
1992 SSL 4048 G-Series
Mix Engineer Blog
http://www.mixedbymarcmozart.com

Artur D'Assumpção

• Sintra, Portugal
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2014, 11:06:33 AM »
Hi Marc and Pascal,

Thanks for you contributions!

Me and Steve (retrocores) have discussed this same subject yesterday night. We reached to the conclusion that it would be fairly easy to do backplane that supports a maximum of 16 cards. From these cards we were thinking of this kind of arrangement:

* Channel Strip Module Cards:
           - Up to 12 cards (96 channels - 8 channels per bay)

Center Section Module Card:
            - 1 or 2 cards (supports 16 channels =  8 for groups + 1 main fader + 4 optional patchable VCAs + max 3 groups (A,B,C on the 6000K))

I would like to know if 16 channels are enough for a 8000K. Maybe Andy could give us some light over this. This is important to dimension the center section card to fit all possible configurations of the 4000/5000/6000 and 8000

Multi-purpose Cards:

- 2 or 3 cards to fit multi-purpose stuff, for instance: transport control, SMPTE control, and others that we recall.

Please let us know your opinions.

Cheers,

Artur

pascal.verdet

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2014, 02:32:24 PM »
Hi Arthur, Steve and Marc,

I agree totally with your 16 slots backplane, and with your arrangement.

Regarding the thread "Ultimation Channel Bay block diagram",
I'm working this afternoon on 82E357 card to understand why the mix data is converted to ±5 V,
and fed to the '353 Fader Servo Card via S36, S37,and SI4 ???
But, looking on the left top '353, we can see that is summed by high gain amplifier (IC4) to produce an output
between ±15V to correspond with the required forward or reverse movement of the fader from its current position !!!
That's why ±5 V !!
Ok

Regarding your question about "How does work the interface with a console with no ultimation" ...
In the case where the console does not use the "Ultimation" option, the 82E13 VCA cards are used,
otherwise the 82E324 card is used.

Cheers,
Pascal

PS: It's very difficult to follow some threads in the same time for the same subject,
Is it possible to organize a call-conf ?

Artur D'Assumpção

• Sintra, Portugal
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2014, 05:04:20 PM »
Hi Pascal,

Well, that makes sense! Thanks for the clarification! :D

I'll answer the rest of you post on the Ultimation block diagram thread, so we don't have these topics scattered.

Cheers,

Artur

PS: you can follow threads with the "NOTIFY" button on top right! that could make it easier to be noticed when there is new posts
« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 05:09:39 PM by Artur D'Assumpção »