Author Topic: Advice needed for DB25 Connectors  (Read 5821 times)

Artur D'Assumpção

• Sintra, Portugal
Advice needed for DB25 Connectors
« on: May 08, 2014, 05:06:08 PM »
Hi guys,

I am about to do the cable wiring for my SSL 6K. I would like to ask you if you could give me advice on which DB25 connectors do you recommend I should use and where can I get them (Europe).

Do you prefer DB25 connectors that you have to solder, or do you prefer those you have to pin much like the DL connectors?

Thanks for you help!

Artur

waltzingbear

• Portland, Oregon
    • Waltzing Bear Audio
Re: Advice needed for DB25 Connectors
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2014, 06:26:24 PM »
I prefer crimp db25, but mostly I prefer having someone else make them for me!

You MUST have the proper crimp tool to use the crimp kind, and there are two kinds of crimp styles, the standard one you see most of the time, like a molex or DL, and the "precision" one. Both use a unique tool. The precision are more expensive and less common, but seem to make a nice connection, better? not sure.

There is also the standard practice of folding the thin wires over so you have enough "meat" in the connector. Like Mogami, which is essentially 30AWG needs to be folded because the connector is really rated for 26AWG as the smallest.

which ever you use, have fun!  :-)

Cheers
Alan
Alan Garren
Waltzing Bear Audio

Artur D'Assumpção

• Sintra, Portugal
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2014, 10:26:14 PM »
Thanks for the tips Alan! Always learning from you! ;)

Sintech also pointed me out a few alternatives for db25 soldering. I'm currently considering the solder ones instead of the crimping.

sintech

• Global Moderator
    • Bristol, UK
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2014, 11:49:21 PM »
Be interesting to get Jim's take on the whole D sub thing.

jimlfixit

• Global Moderator
    • Maidenhead, Bucks, UK
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2014, 12:17:42 PM »
Hi People
Artur just mentioned this topic to me in an email today. I have some thoughts on this and have prepared some pictures of the construction of one of these but I need to get some stuff finished over the next few days before I can properly address this issue.

Also, this really belongs in the wiring menu so I will try and move all these posts when I get some more details sorted.

Meanwhile, I would say that the solder version is the more convenient and cheapest option.

Here is a picture for now and I will provide more details later along with a stage by stage construction technique. Heck, it's not difficult but just needs some preparation to get it right.

Regards from Jim Lassen (www.profcon.co.uk). Also on FACEBOOK
« Last Edit: May 09, 2014, 01:48:55 PM by jimlfixit »

Artur D'Assumpção

• Sintra, Portugal
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2014, 03:07:34 PM »
Very good work Jim!

You're always an inspiration for all of us! :D Can't wait to see more stuff from you!

Thanks for all the tips!

Cheers,

Artur
« Last Edit: May 09, 2014, 04:20:14 PM by Artur D'Assumpção »

sintech

• Global Moderator
    • Bristol, UK
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2014, 05:28:43 PM »
Pure Art.

marcmozart

• Frankfurt/Germany
    • Mozart & Friends
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2014, 09:55:55 PM »
+ 1, makes me want to print posters of your work, Jim!

Pure Art.
1992 SSL 4048 G-Series
Mix Engineer Blog
http://www.mixedbymarcmozart.com

jimlfixit

• Global Moderator
    • Maidenhead, Bucks, UK
More 25 way D wiring info
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2014, 12:15:59 AM »
Hi people (again)
Thanks for your comments (in Marc's case, Danke schon). I still haven't got time now to post a stage by stage construction of 25 way D connector wiring but will address this issue shortly and will move the topic and posts into the wiring menu when I can get round to it. I have quite a few pictures to show, some with an 8 pair multicore like this and some with a 24 pair split into 3 x 8 circuits which is harder but not that difficult.

For now, the picture shown before is some Van Damme 8 pair going into a D solder connector. This is cut at 45mm I think, soldered into the D and twisted round as you see. I've used 3.2mm heatsrink on this as it is thinner than rubber sleeving and the cable tie prevents the cable from being pulled out of the backshell.

I attach another picture of the initial preparation and you can see a ruler there. The circuits were stripped at 10mm from the multicore and I used 15mm heatshrink plus sleeving for the screen wires. More on all of this later when I find the time but hope this helps for now and puts me out of work as you can do it yourself after this!!!!

Regards from Jim Lassen (www.profcon.co.uk). Also on FACEBOOK

Artur D'Assumpção

• Sintra, Portugal
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2014, 07:16:24 AM »
This is a work of many years of experience and passion! :D

It's perfectly assembled! Thanks Jim!

jimlfixit

• Global Moderator
    • Maidenhead, Bucks, UK
DB25 Connector wiring: Further comments
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2014, 09:02:12 PM »
Hi People (yet again on this subject)

I do have wiring experience of course but connectorised patchbays and 25 way D subs with that original DA 88 pinout are another challenge.

With any new wiring task, I reckon it takes three attempts to get it right. I always document things from the start so,

1   I look at what is required, measure things a bit, especially if the wiring has to be within a confined space like a backshell and make the first one.
2   I then look at the first one, change some measurements and make number 2. 
3   Again, I review the measurements, do more documentation and make number 3. By that time, it should be right for a production run if required (remember that connectorised patchbays these days have 12 x 25 way connectors on them so you need to be consistent).

All this is done to make the best use of time (and hence money) for people paying for it and I learn as well of course.

The 25 way D wiring was carefully thought out and I did or didn't use various materials for certain reasons. One of these can be completed fairly quickly if you have a technique and use the right tools and parts.

More from me on this subject soon when I am less busy. Regards from Jim Lassen
« Last Edit: May 10, 2014, 09:16:20 PM by jimlfixit »