XK-System (community project) > Software Development

(RFD) OS X or Windows? (CLOSED)

(1/4) > >>

Artur D'Assumpção:
Hi guys,

Good news, we will soon have a fully working hardware early prototype of the new computer! \o/\o/

We'll then start to develop the software including the main desktop application. We plan to support both OS X and Windows, but since our time and resources are limited we need to give priority and base our development in one of the operating systems and port it to the other on later stage. The question I am asking you guys is which operating system should have priority, OS X or Windows?

I am personally a Windows user, but I know that perhaps I am not the norm here. I would like to hear what's your opinion on this so we can get most of you guys covered on this early stage.

Thanks!

Cheers,

Artur

marcmozart:
Mac-User here...

waltzingbear:
running it on windoze would scare me.

most people would like windoze because they are used to it and its familiar.

running it in a unix/linux environment might be marginally better, that means Linux or OSX.

You are developing this as a non dedicated machine? If it was dedicated, then Linux might be better because it could be a fixed release machine and then years from now we could still load and run it (maybe).  Will we be able to run it on windoze 11? won't have support for the old OS as MS wants to kill off their old OSs. ie run it on XP, ha. OSXI, no idea.

Linux on a mac mini appeals to me.

some random thoughts on a beautiful sunday afternoon

Cheers
Alan

Matt Sartori:
Mac user here (hackintosh too!)

M.

sintech:
Mac also.

Agree with Alan, a Mac Mini, is the perfect host for this kind of thing. Cheap (relatively) and silent running until massively taxed.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version