Author Topic: 1979 4000E, listen mic output to patch  (Read 2962 times)

Kofen

1979 4000E, listen mic output to patch
« on: July 17, 2014, 10:43:31 PM »
Hi,

Registered here since we just bought a beautiful 4000e console from 79 and this forum seems like a great resource!
We have rebuilt our control-room and currently I´m working on the patch and since its so old it doesn´t have the listen-mic outputs in the patch. If I recall correctly SSL supplied instructions to bring
Them out in the patch. Do anyone here have this information?
Also, this is an ex-bbc mixer and has a point in the patch called: CUB-RM, does anyone have any idea what it is? Google brings up nothing...

Thanks!

jimlfixit

• Global Moderator
    • Maidenhead, Bucks, UK
CUB-RM idea!!
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2014, 03:36:36 AM »
No idea what CUB stands for (nothing to do with Scout groups I imagine) but RM could be RooM I think.

CUB must be 3 separate words of course but the BBC have their own strange language so, who knows? Perhaps contact an ex BBC employee, buy them a few drinks and find out!!!

On that note, studio location shortcuts can be expressed as follows:

1   Control Room = CR
2   Live Room = LR
3   Machine Room = MR

It's the same with cable colours to save writing everything out in full. How about the resistor colour code which is basically the first and last letter of the colour like ... brown is BN, red is RD, Orange is OE etc. Get my point here?

Regards from Jim Lassen (www.profcon.co.uk). Also on FACEBOOK
« Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 03:38:23 AM by jimlfixit »

Artur D'Assumpção

• Sintra, Portugal
Re: 1979 4000E, listen mic output to patch
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2014, 08:52:14 AM »
Hi Kofen,

Let me welcome you to the forum and wish you lots of fun and great mixes with your new SSL console. These babies need a bit of care and attention but will give you great results and satisfaction!

I also hope you'll find here a 2nd family! We are awesome! \o/\o/ ;)

Cheers,

Artur

Kofen

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2014, 09:34:12 AM »
Thanks for the tip and warm welcome.  :)

The mixer is finally up and running. Figured out some of CUB RM. Its one of the inputs to external monitor. It ends up on a button named Pro Tools but I don´t think those are connected to each other...
The other end of Cub ends up on a Siemens/tuchel contact. Still no idea what Cub stand for, but Jim is probably right about Room.

Now I have to fix a couple of logic faults it developed after its journey...

Magnus

StarF666

• Berlin, Germany
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2015, 11:37:07 AM »
Though an old topic you might still wanna know. I don't know what it is but I know it's name. I attached a photo of maida vale studio 3 's custom 682 panel with some kind of headphone amp. There is pot labeled "Cubicle RM". I also saw the questioned " Cub RM" button somewhere.

Artur D'Assumpção

• Sintra, Portugal
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2015, 01:15:44 PM »
BBC consoles were highly customized, either by SSL by BBC request or by BBC techs themselves. After all BBC was one of the big customers of SSL. Most of the standard features were in some point in history a request by big clients such as BBC. ;)

I am sure the senior members of this forum can elaborate more about this! ;)

StarF666

• Berlin, Germany
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2015, 10:12:08 AM »
Didn't let me rest so I did some research again. I'm pretty sure now, Cubicle Room is the BBC term for control room. Here are two links which led me to this:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01mwrh5/p01mwrcm

http://www.4rfv.co.uk/industrynews/185/db_broadcast_refurbish_bbc_maida_vale_studio_one

sintech

• Global Moderator
    • Bristol, UK
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2015, 11:59:02 AM »
Cubicle, is just (an older English) term for a small space/room/area